• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Cell phone crack down

Kycntryboy

pilot
Just make sure your not going 2 miles an hour over the speed limit as well:icon_roll here
I don't know but I think a possible Art. 92 is a little ridiculous
at least it is in phases.

Bevo16

pilot
It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

If I can fly a helicopter while talking on 2 different radios and 3 other people in the aircraft on ICS then I can drive a car and talk on the phone.

If they want to save lives, don't allow anyone under E-6 to ride a motorcycle.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Very good points, but not everyone is an aviator. Maybe winged guys can get cool little stickers to warn the authorities to not pull them over for cell phone usage?

I also partially agree with the motorcycle idea too, although I think that more in depth training should be required by all, not just ban any E-6 and below. It's just as easy for an SUV to side swipe you if your an 0-6 or an E-1. Yes, people do dumb things on motorcycles, but a large portion of accidents occur due to other vehicles, not always because of something the guy on the bike did.

Also, we had a safety standown in P'cola last week, and we were addressed to this new issue here too, although if I remember correctly it included the banning of "hands-free" devices also. But don't quote me on that one.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
This has been SOP on many Marine bases for some time. What's the big deal about using a freaking headset? It lacks cool points? Hmm... Sounds suspiciously like the 1980s argument against wearing your seatbelt to me.

KBayDog

Bevo said:
It's pretty stupid if you ask me.

If I can fly a helicopter while talking on 2 different radios and 3 other people in the aircraft on ICS then I can drive a car and talk on the phone.

:devil_125 Advocate:

In your helicopter, do you hold your radios up to your ears when you use them? Or do you use a PTT switch?

When you use a cell phone in your car, do you have another guy listening in at all times who can monitor your conversation, and take over communications?

The outside people you are talking to in your helicopter - you are talking to some of them to keep you from running into other helicopters, correct?

Finally, is the volume of traffic in the air greater or less than the volume of traffic on the roads?

(BTW, I don't have an opinion either way about talking on a cell phone while driving on base. I guess it doesn't really matter if I did have an opinion, anyway!)

phrogpilot73

gaijin6423 said:
This has been SOP on many Marine bases for some time. What's the big deal about using a freaking headset? It lacks cool points? Hmm... Sounds suspiciously like the 1980s argument against wearing your seatbelt to me.
Yeah, I've had a handsfree device for many years since the USMC is adamant about it. Upgraded to a blue tooth and now I prefer to use that at home as well... It's not that big a deal. Hell, in NC that is state law now - handsfree device required throughout the state.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
Hell, in NC that is state law now - handsfree device required throughout the state.

Really? I didn't know that. Perhaps I should start carrying my headset with me. I'm surprised NC made a law that makes sense.

phrogpilot73

squeeze said:
Really? I didn't know that. Perhaps I should start carrying my headset with me. I'm surprised NC made a law that makes sense.
Yup, the bill was passed in 2005, and took effect Jan 1, 2006. I don't think that many people know about it...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mentioning Article 92 is really just the public's take on how we operate.

Everything we do in the military is somehow based on a order or instruction, which if we don't follow...dadahh..potential article 92.

Will ever get to that point...highly unlikely.

S.O.B.

pilot
I was one ticket away from losing my driving privileges in Corpus. Check this rap sheet out:

24 in a 20
16 in a 10
18 in a 10 (Reckless Driving)
36 in a 30 (He paced me, I got out of it)
35 in a 30 (The kid pulls me over and says “Sir is there some kind of an emergency? “Yea my house is on fire and my wife and kids are trapped in it and I’m going 35 miles an hour, now write the fin ticket”

Needles to my general opinion of Navy Rent-A-Cops is “D0shbags, fighting the war on terrorism five miles over the speed limit at a time.”

jay741

I was happy to hear about the new cell phone rule on base. I don't know how many times I'm been behind someone who is driving like a moron only to find out they are too busy juggling a cell phone to pay attention to the road. Careless drivers are not only endangering themselves but also everyone on the road with them. I hope the civilian world follows the military's lead.
I swear some people must have a fear of abandonment or something considering how much time they spend on their cell phones.

Kycntryboy

pilot
jay741 said:
I was happy to hear about the new cell phone rule on base. I don't know how many times I'm been behind someone who is driving like a moron only to find out they are too busy juggling a cell phone to pay attention to the road. Careless drivers are not only endangering themselves but also everyone on the road with them. I hope the civilian world follows the military's lead.
I swear some people must have a fear of abandonment or something considering how much time they spend on their cell phones.

Agree with you that everyone on campus is afraid to go from class to class without chatting to someone on their cell phone. I also agree that the cities need to look at this because of their high traffic density and high(er) speed limits. Every base I been to (two) has neither a lot of traffic or a high speed limit. I just can't see much crap evolving that you couldn't foresee going 20 miles an hour, even while talking on a cell phone.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jay741 said:

For what it's worth, this has actually been a rule for quite some time, it just was never really enforced. I think it was even an issue back on NASNI in 2001, but again, not really enforced. And like the Marines have said, USMC bases have enforced this for quite some time.

As for the civilian side, many states do already have laws which require headsets. Guess what? Cell phone related accidents didn't really go down. It's not the holding of the cell phone, it's being distracted while driving. I can run three radios while flying, having my head in a TACAID, and slapping my H2P around, but I still hate driving w/ cell phones, and hate driving around people on cellphones even more.

PSno23

GEAUX TIGERS
pilot
gaijin6423 said:

I don't even think that you can't even wear a handsfree device to use your cell phone. At least thats what we were told up here at Whiting. The only way they would allow you to use a cell phone while driving on base would be if the phone is integrated into your car (some cars now have Bluetooth, so your phone essentially becomes part of your car).