• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCX Planning

phrogpilot73

So, I volunteered to plan our cross country from Norfolk to Yuma. Why would I volunteer? Because I use $100 dollar hamburger to figure out our stops - because after this many years, I'm tired of eating out of a vending machine as we trek across the country.

Right now, I'm going from Norfolk to Nashville, Nashville to Dallas, Dallas to ???, ??? to Yuma. It looks like Las Crusces, NM is about midway between Dallas and Yuma. Is it worth an overnight stop, or is there some place better along the way?

Don't quote me page, chapter, and verse of the 3710. That's not how we roll. As long as it is an airport with some level of security, we'll stay there.

Oh, and the return trip is going to include San Antonio and P-Cola. Still working that part.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
The FBO is meh.

But the food in town is good, especially if you like green chiles in everything.

About a 10-15 minute drive from the airport to the city proper.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Pecos, TX for gas and go (free brisket burritos). El Paso isn't a bad overnight, believe it or not. The two are mutually exclusive based on proximity.

How about Dallas-Pecos-Albuquerque to RON?

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It looks like Las Crusces, NM is about midway between Dallas and Yuma. Is it worth an overnight stop, or is there some place better along the way.

Used to go to Las Cruces on weekends for New Mexico St. football games. Like any major college 'small town', lots of swingin' coed beer halls, etc. The old Biggs AFB/El Paso Intl. are also in that vicinity for RON.
BzB

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Stayed in Lubbock, TX on a cross country once. Not too bad at all, some nice hotels pretty close to the University. FBO was nothing to write home about, but did the job.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
The FBO is meh.

But the food in town is good, especially if you like green chiles in everything.

About a 10-15 minute drive from the airport to the city proper.

Heard the FBO is closed down now. Not sure on the accuracy of that though.

phrogpilot73

Pecos sounds like it'll be a good stop. I assume it has Jet A from a truck, and not a hand pump? (Yes, previous dudes have planned to an airfield that required gravity fueling, which limits our range). I don't want to go to Albuquerque because we've stopped there before (on the way to Fallon), and I'm trying to visit new places. I'm digging that Las Cruces has New Mexico State University there... The stop in Nashville is for our corpsman, who apparently knows the whole town (and is going to hook the crew up). The stop in Dallas is for my in-laws, so I can fly over their house and stay with them, the third stop I want a righteous good time for the guys in back. College town sounds good. Is it hopping? Or is it sleepy college town?

Heard the FBO is closed down now. Not sure on the accuracy of that though.
Scared me. Adventure Aviation is closed. Southwest is still open, and has contract fuel (and has room for 4 46's on their line). Just got off the phone with them.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
Or is it sleepy college town?

Pecos sounds like it'll be a good stop. I assume it has Jet A from a truck, and not a hand pump? (Yes, previous dudes have planned to an airfield that required gravity fueling, which limits our range). I don't want to go to Albuquerque because we've stopped there before (on the way to Fallon), and I'm trying to visit new places. I'm digging that Las Cruces has New Mexico State University there... The stop in Nashville is for our corpsman, who apparently knows the whole town (and is going to hook the crew up). The stop in Dallas is for my in-laws, so I can fly over their house and stay with them, the third stop I want a righteous good time for the guys in back. College town sounds good. Is it hopping? Or is it sleepy college town?

Scared me. Adventure Aviation is closed. Southwest is still open, and has contract fuel (and has room for 4 46's on their line). Just got off the phone with them.

That's good to know.

As for the party town. It has a couple decent places. Be prepared to taxi everywhere as there isn't a main strip where the bars and clubs are like at bigger colleges. Considering the time of year the college students maybe getting ready to punch out for the summer anyways. Overall it was average. From what I was told the Springhill Suites staff was very "friendly" to the VT studs that stayed there on det.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
the third stop I want a righteous good time for the guys in back. College town sounds good. Is it hopping? Or is it sleepy college town?

Las Cruces used to jump like any big college town, the only caveat... they're probably studyin' for, or into finals (y'all remember those?), which could quiet things a bit??? Not all students blow off studying like future Navy flyers tend to do! :rolleyes:
BzB

phrogpilot73

As for the party town. It has a couple decent places. Be prepared to taxi everywhere as there isn't a main strip where the bars and clubs are like at bigger colleges. Considering the time of year the college students maybe getting ready to punch out for the summer anyways. Overall it was average. From what I was told the Springhill Suites staff was very "friendly" to the VT studs that stayed there on det.
Las Cruces used to jump like any big college town, the only caveat... they're probably studyin' for, or into finals (y'all remember those?), which could quiet things a bit???
Again, not having been there before, so bear with me. The CCX will be end of June. I would assume that the only people at NMSU are summer school studs. Is this the kind of college town where things are DEAD without the college students, or would it be a good time otherwise?

phrogpilot73

OK, here's what I've got planned thusfar.

Day 1:
Norfolk to Hickory, NC
Hickory, NC to Nashville, TN (RON)

Day 2:
Nashville, TN to Little Rock, AR
Little Rock, AR to Dallas, TX (RON)

Day 3:
Dallas, TX to Plainview, TX (PSW's grandparents live there, and since the guy that works the FBO knows them, I'm thinking I have to stop here)
Plainview, TX to Pecos, TX
Pecos, TX to Las Cruces, NM (RON)

Day 4:
Las Cruces, NM to Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ to Yuma, AZ (Mission Complete)

We can make Yuma in two days (I've done it in the past), but the fact they gave me four days... There are two that I'm not so sure about for an RON (if we hit weather) and that's Plainview and Pecos. But I think I'm happy with what I've got...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Phrog, double check Sedona for gas. I know we always have this conversation, but they seem to lose and gain their gas all the time. In Oct '09, they didn't have it. I think it came back this last year, but just a heads up.

My non-CAC fuel contract site doesn't appear to work anymore, so I can't check it right now (not at work yet).

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Again, not having been there before, so bear with me. The CCX will be end of June. I would assume that the only people at NMSU are summer school studs. Is this the kind of college town where things are DEAD without the college students, or would it be a good time otherwise?

Ooops, I assumed your CCX was ..like... next week... ! I can't imagine Las Cruces being very 'jumpin' during summer break (I was only there on fall football weekends). I'd try a bigger city, if it were I. If you are considering ELP, I probably wouldn't have to reccomend that you DON'T allow a X-border foray into Juarez. Great libs back in the day, but much more dangerous than the 'Stan today!:eek:
NM State 1985.jpg
* BzB (#78) on Fresno State bench vs NMSU in Las Cruces NM - 1985
BzB

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I spent 8 lovely weeks in Las Cruces. It is, sadly, a pretty weak town. If NM State has people who party, my friends and I didn't find them, and we tried hard. There were only a few bars near campus and they didn't ever get that crazy. The bartenders were rather quick to cut people off who they thought were "over served".

Thoughts:

FBO: I'm sure you've swung through. Very friendly to military and edible food on site during normal hours. I'm sure transportation can be arranged and they had good ramp space w/ contract Jet A.

Food:
-St. Clair Winey Bistro. Made their own wine so very drinkable bottles started at $10. Accomidating to larger parties if you phoned ahead. Walking distance from the Springhill Suites
-Pecan Grill was also very good. We occupied the patio there a few nights with big dinner parties. Good food and microbrews.
-Double Eagle Steakhouse. If you want to splurge, it's an option. Your typical old school ala carte steakhouse.

Lodging: Springhill Suites was where most studs and instructors stayed during the det. The staff was/is very "friendly". A Starbucks across the street by the WalMart for your caffeine fix.

The Bean of Mesilla is down the street if you want coffeehouse type place with breakfast food for the next day.