• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

CCX Planning

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I spent six weeks there in the winter time. I really enjoyed it, especially flying in primary. Good scenery if that's your kind of thing. As far as the town goes, there's really nothing. At all. There's a couple good bars, but you can get those anywhere. I'd check out the old town which is south of I-10 since it's pretty neat to see. A lot of good food though with it (Hatch) being the chili capitol. Other than that, the town is kind of ghetto in some parts. Sad to hear the FBO closed down though, I really like that place.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Okay, I'll bite. What's with all the gratuitous uses of quotes regarding the motel staff? We were put up at the La Quinta, so I don't have the knowledges.

phrogpilot73

Phrog, double check Sedona for gas. I know we always have this conversation, but they seem to lose and gain their gas all the time. In Oct '09, they didn't have it. I think it came back this last year, but just a heads up.

My non-CAC fuel contract site doesn't appear to work anymore, so I can't check it right now (not at work yet).
Oh, I had already checked... ;)

PENDING - Local Purchase Authorized in lieu of the contract number.
This non-CAC link is what I've always used...

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Food:
-St. Clair Winey Bistro. Made their own wine so very drinkable bottles started at $10. Accomidating to larger parties if you phoned ahead. Walking distance from the Springhill Suites

I'll second that for dinner. The food has been great every time I've been there (two dets as a VT IP). El Patio was the local hangout it seemed but there are even more local hangouts at the hotel bars (believe it) and off-campus housing (I'm still not sure how I ended up there).

phrogpilot73

OK, based on feedback - Las Cruces is out. Santa Fe it is. Not going to stop at Pecos on the way out, looking at doing it on the way back...

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Okay, I'll bite. What's with all the gratuitous uses of quotes regarding the motel staff? We were put up at the La Quinta, so I don't have the knowledges.

The frot desk staff was college age girls mostly. Some of them partied with us regularly. Some guys hooked up with them. In their own words "We were a lot better than most of the folks in that town".

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
OK, based on feedback - Las Cruces is out. Santa Fe it is. Not going to stop at Pecos on the way out, looking at doing it on the way back...

Solid call. Santa Fe is a cool city - maybe not much traditional night life, but absolutely fantastic food and some good local beer. And it's just a very unique and beautiful area, scenically and culturally.

phrogpilot73

Looks like the link changes since I had bookmarked it. Thanks for the updated link.
I never bookmark. I always google... :D

OK, here's what I've got. I think 4 days is a little ridiculous (again, I can make it in two, and thought I was going to be planning to make it in three)

Day 1:
Norfolk, VA to Hickory, NC
Hickory, NC to Nashville, TN (RON)

Day 2:
Nashville, TN to Little Rock, AR
Little Rock, AR to Dallas, TX (RON)

Day 3:
Dallas, TX to Plainview, TX
Plainview, TX to Santa Fe, NM (RON)

Day 4:
Santa Fe, NM to Sedona, AZ
Sedona, AZ to Yuma, AZ

With the exception of Plainview, TX - every place is a good RON location, so if weather/plans change - we're good. All stops have a restaurant on site (or in close proximity - the FBO at Plainview said they'd run out to get us sandwiches), and all have Jet A or Jet A1... Things are coming together...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you need any more Nashville recommendations hit me up. Damn I miss that town.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
As for the flight back, I'd highly recommend making an overnight in Austin. Damn that is a fun town.