• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carry Weapon Capacity

MasterBates

I actually used to think the same way, then a firearms instructor said don't think about what are the chances of something happening that you need a concealed weapon, because we know they are very small, think of the consequences if you do need it and don't have it.

There were several examples he gave and one I just heard about recently is a guy went into a store, pulled a knife off of the shelf and started stabbing people, another guy pulled his concealed carry weapon and the guy immediately surrendered.
This

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

Renegade One

None
Guess I'm just live bait when the zombie apocalypse happens.
...think of the consequences if you do need it and don't have it.
Phrog: You and me, bruddah!

NavyOffRec: I actually agree with you. California residency has just beaten me into submission, I guess. If I was living in a "Shall Issue" jurisdiction...I'd be packing too. Just because. Don't think I haven't thought about it...everyone does. Think I'd simply carry the Browning Hi-Power in 9MM I bought back before I joined the Navy. 13 rounds of the baddest-ass rounds I could get. And an extra magazine.
So...I've been found out...busted...whatever. My answer is obviously 13 + 13. Please don't infer from that that I'm a crappy shot. You'd be wrong. ;)

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I've been reading this with a little bit of interest and a little bit the same thought. I don't want to digress, but do you guys really leave the house thinking,"Keys, wallet, phone, gun, extra mags...okay, let's go?" I'm almost forty, have lived in two major cities (one of which was Philadelphia, which is a bit on the shady side), and I've never once been in a scenario in civilian life where I thought a gun would help the situation. What if, yadda, yadda...but I don't carry an IFAK with me everywhere either, and I'm a lot more likely to need first aid supplies than a weapon. Guess I'm just live bait when the zombie apocalypse happens.

My father is a former police officer/detective. When I was younger I asked him why he carried his off-duty everywhere he went. He said, "if I were ever in a situation where I needed it and didn't have it, and you or your sister or mother were hurt, I'd never forgive myself."

Unless I'm drinking or on base, I'm packing.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I've been reading this with a little bit of interest and a little bit the same thought. I don't want to digress, but do you guys really leave the house thinking,"Keys, wallet, phone, gun, extra mags...okay, let's go?" I'm almost forty, have lived in two major cities (one of which was Philadelphia, which is a bit on the shady side), and I've never once been in a scenario in civilian life where I thought a gun would help the situation. What if, yadda, yadda...but I don't carry an IFAK with me everywhere either, and I'm a lot more likely to need first aid supplies than a weapon. Guess I'm just live bait when the zombie apocalypse happens.

I felt exactly the same way not too many years ago. But then I married and had a child. At that point I refused to become a victim in that 1 in a million life threatening event. Plus I live a one of the few CA counties where they actually will issue a CC License for "personal protection". Try that in SF, Alameda or LA County. Can I become a victim with a handgun because as they say on the street " I was slippin'! ". Absolutely! But I rather have a chance to protect myself and my loved ones in that remote circumstance.

Look at like installing a Halon system in the engine compartment on your 25 foot boat. Are you ever really going to need it- not likely. In the event of a major fuel leak and engine fire? Simply good planning and good headwork IMO.

(Some zombies are already here.)

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
So, should we now open this thread up to a discussion of minimum caliber for a CCW?

Uco2E.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
California residency has just beaten me into submission, I guess. If I was living in a "Shall Issue" jurisdiction...I'd be packing too.

Maryland in theory has a Concealed permit process but it's virtually impossible to get. If it were (and I think it will eventually) go to shall issue. Given I work on a federal installation there's no need nor I desire to carry here but having one makes any issue of transport moot. I would also not mind being able to carry out on hikes on the weekend as the amount of wierd stuff that happens on public land here is amazing.

Bass Pro Shops in Hanover has started offering the Utah permit which is I think the most widely accepted and it would cover most of the states I travel to on recreation. What would I carry? Suspect my pre-Navy career purchased Hi-Power that I carried during Desert Storm or a Browning BDM I have. Of course, why miss the opportunity to buy somethign new? :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I'm almost forty, have lived in two major cities (one of which was Philadelphia, which is a bit on the shady side), and I've never once been in a scenario in civilian life where I thought a gun would help the situation. .

Elk Heights rest stop on I-90 Wesbound about 2330 in Sept 91 - having my 1911 with me kept me from at least getting robbed and maybe killed by three guys. I had casually tucked it in my shorts when I got out to take a leak and they decided that they needed my stuff more than I did. They, on the other hand, brought knives to a gun fight. :D. No shots fired, just the presence of the gun and the three perps got to take a ride in a Wash State Troopers car and thanks from the Trooper for not just shooting them and leaving.

Criminal

God's personal hacky sack
pilot
I actually used to think the same way, then a firearms instructor said don't think about what are the chances of something happening that you need a concealed weapon, because we know they are very small, think of the consequences if you do need it and don't have it.

There were several examples he gave and one I just heard about recently is a guy went into a store, pulled a knife off of the shelf and started stabbing people, another guy pulled his concealed carry weapon and the guy immediately surrendered.

In a shity movie (aliens vs predators) , one woman tells another about why its stupid to have a gun in Antarctica. She replies, its like a condom; better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I've been carrying for a few years now. My wife thought I was retarded at first, as most people do. But she came around and now she does to. Mainly because she knows there is not a damn thing that a person (other than Rambo) can do against a person with a gun/knife/high on bath salts and wants to eat your face, that wants to hurt you or our child. Unless you have a means of defense. And well that's a pistol in our case.

My big question is: What is a condom?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
To each his own. I have no issue with concealed carry per se. Having gotten this far and never having encountered any scenario that would even vaguely require one, I can't see starting now. Maybe I project a "don't fuck with me vibe," maybe I've just been lucky. Maybe when I'm 70 and looking a little more frail I'll think differently. I definitely can see the value for women to be armed, if they know how to use it. For now, my ranking of threats to my person tells me that daily carry would be more trouble than it's worth for me.

As a non-carrying person, I don't have much of a dog in this fight. To the OP, though, I side with some of the earlier posters. Capacity shouldn't matter too much. If you're getting into a protracted gun battle with someone, things have spiraled wildly out of control. The primary goal is deterrence. Once that's failed, it's self-defense. If that takes more than 6 shots, you're dealing with someone who didn't want to just rob/rape/assault you, that person is trying to kill you, specifically, for a reason. If you're someone who thinks there is actually a hit out on him, you're either one, insane, or two, an actual target, who needs a full personal security plan from top-to-bottom, not just a piece.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I carry a Gen 3 G19 everyday. I have several handguns to chose from, a G17, Sig P226, Sig P2022, Beretta PX4sc but the G19 is my edc. I also shoot the hell out of it so that I'm proficient with it. It is less than a year old and has near 3000 rounds through it. I just ordered a Gen 4 G19 as well. If 7 is all you need, then 15+1 is even better. Modern day 9mm sd ammo is good stuff and being hand guns aren't exactly man killers anyway, it's good enough to stop the threat. I've had to pull my gun one time, years ago (Gen 2 G21) and the mere site stopped the threat. IMO, that is the best way to end a situation with a gun, the mere site of it stopped the threat. I'm a big dude too but it was going to be 2 v 1 and I certainly am glad it I had it. I firmly believe it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I knew a chick once who never locked her doors at night and I asked, aren't you afraid of being attacked or raped and she said no, she had never been raped before :confused: Okay, roger that lol

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
9mm is as small as I'll go.

9mm=
.380 Auto?
.357 Magnum?
9x18 Makarov?
.357 SIG? <- an awesome round, wish it was more popular

9x19mm is a fine round nowadays. Get some Federal HST or Gold Dots and you're set. I've got a .380, which I think is marginal, but sometimes the situation dictates the carry. I like Buffalo Bore, which may help make up for the loss of velocity with the smaller case.