• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Carry Weapon Capacity

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
So, the standard answer is "There's no such thing as too much." While I agree, the demands of concealed carry make you ask the question.

What is the minimum number of rounds you feel is "adequate" with a concealed firearm?

What brings it up for me is a race for next concealed carry pistol...I am a Glock fan and a .45 ACP fan and have become enamored with comparing the G36 to the G30. I've shot them both and have no problem with the shooting mechanics of either. Obviously however, the G36 is going to be significantly more comfortable to carry. (Significantly lighter, quite a bit thinner etc...) BTW...I tend to carry IWB @ 0330. Balance that against the fact that with 1 extra mag on tap, you are only carrying 13 rounds. With its thicker brother the 30, you get 21.

Yes, I know I could carry two extra mags, but at that point, why bother?

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Could confidence with a particular model pistol be a serious part to consider in your question? I'm no pro at all, the .45 is just what I have shot more. Leaning really hard towards getting a SW pro series 3" 1911. So I'd say 7...8 if you take the initiative to load the extra round. I really stink with .40 and 9mm pistols loaded with +p stuff to where I wouldn't trust myself too much. Sounds weird but it's true.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Could confidence with a particular model pistol be a serious part to consider in your question? I'm no pro at all, the .45 is just what I have shot more. Leaning really hard towards getting a SW pro series 3" 1911. So I'd say 7...8 if you take the initiative to load the extra round. I really stink with .40 and 9mm pistols loaded with +p stuff to where I wouldn't trust myself too much. Sounds weird but it's true.

Not really...I've shot them both and shoot them both quite well...

Really, I think I'm asking your minimum round requirement for concealed carry and whether 13 is less than you'd be comfortable with.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Of course this is just philosophy, but...

You aren't trying to fight WWIII with your CCW. Go for something with stopping power that you are comfortable with. 7-8 rounds is plenty. Once you clear those out, then have 1, preferably 2 spare mags just in case. Odds are if you unload in a CC/personal defence situation, you are going to fire rounds without counting and once the initial trigger pulling is complete are going to reload anyway. (Hopefully you dont actually go through all 16 rounds in a hi-cap mag, as that leaves a lot of liability rounds since odds are, you haven't practiced shooting that many rapid fire, and accurate.) Read through some stories about guys that have had to defend themselves. Even off duty LEO stories read similar.

MasterBates

I carry 13 .45ACP in a Springfield 1911 HiCap, or 12 rounds of 357 SIG in my P226.

I've never felt under-armed with my S&W Model 65-4 in 357 either, but I always carry a speedloader with that.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Damn. I concealed carry on the off chance I need to defend me or mine from a violent criminal.

Some of you seem to be ever on the alert for Zombie Apocalypse. . .

(FWIW, I carry a gun that I know will reliably and accurately expel one round; any additional rounds are extra, and most likely unnecessary in something like 90% of the situations where I even need to fire the weapon. Hell, I used to only load 5 rounds in the 13 round mag of my .45 because it made it a hell of a lot lighter to carry.)

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I have an extremely difficult time believing that reloading and some sort of protracted gun battle in a CCW situation is what would really happen. If you need more than what you can carry in a single magazine you are in a world of pain far beyond what you can cover in a CCW situation.

That said, I've carried as few as six, simply because that's what my revolver held.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
G36. You're over thinking the round count. I carry one and honestly if you are coming prepared for an extended gun battle then you're not going to fair well in court if you ever actually have to defend yourself.

MasterBates

I find that it's a lot easier to conceal 1 high capacity handgun vice a smaller one with 2-3 reloads. If I need more than 13 rounds, I don't need a reload, I need a rifle.

So, the standard answer is "There's no such thing as too much." While I agree, the demands of concealed carry make you ask the question.

What is the minimum number of rounds you feel is "adequate" with a concealed firearm?

What brings it up for me is a race for next concealed carry pistol...I am a Glock fan and a .45 ACP fan and have become enamored with comparing the G36 to the G30. I've shot them both and have no problem with the shooting mechanics of either. Obviously however, the G36 is going to be significantly more comfortable to carry. (Significantly lighter, quite a bit thinner etc...) BTW...I tend to carry IWB @ 0330. Balance that against the fact that with 1 extra mag on tap, you are only carrying 13 rounds. With its thicker brother the 30, you get 21.

Yes, I know I could carry two extra mags, but at that point, why bother?
I currently work in Law Enforcement (just pro-rec'd SNA, waiting on my FS for OCS). In my opinion, the point of concealed carry is to conceal a weapon to adequately defend yourself or others in a spontaneous dangerous situation. As someone else mentioned, the likelihood of an all out firefight in a concealed carry civilian situation is so incredibly rare. Trust me I know how important it is to be prepared for the worst, but I would honestly go with the smaller Glock. I used to concealed carry a Glock 27 which is the .40 cal subcompact, in a IWB holster and it was just the right size as far as frame size and capacity. While I've never shot someone (been shot at), the stopping power of a .45 round in a close quarters situation that you're more than likely going to find yourself in, is more than adequate in my opinion and I just can't see lugging around a ton more rounds than 13. If 13 .45 rounds in someone's head and chest aren't enough, like someone else said, you either need to carry a rifle around lol, or just accept that its your time to go.

Not trying to preach or anything. Just offering my opinion on it. In the end, like a lot of things in firearms, its whatever you feel comfortable with using and carrying. I've carried everything from a Ruger .380 that held I think 7 rounds, to a compact Glock 19, to a subcompact, Glock 27. In the long run, I'd go with comfortable in a civilian situation. It gets extremely annoying walking around Target or Best Buy with a heavier gun under your clothes. The subcompact Glock gave me the best of everything. Capacity, firepower, and concealability. I should also add that I didnt carry any spare mags on me while off-duty concealed. I would keep an extra in my car but not on my person when walking around. Now on-duty, thats a different story. My vest is loaded down with mags.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I'll tell you now that the most important consideration in choosing the pistol you purchase for CCW is ensuring that it's the one you're going to be willing to carry every day as opposed to that heavy and/or uncomfortably sized hand cannon.

Second, capacity should be way down the ladder of priorities when considering what carry pistol to use. Like it's already been said, if you can't solve the problem with 3-6 rounds, then you're not going to solve the problem with 6-18. 3-6 should be enough to either eliminate or seriously postpone the threat, giving you the opportunity to end or get out of the situation.

I'd also venture to guess that virtually all CCW use situations are in very close quarters, since there are not many scenarios where you can justify deadly force in self defense when at a significant distance from a criminal. So it's going to be most likely 0-5 yards which means pointing the pistol in the general direction (or just shoving the barrel into their gut) and pulling the trigger until they are no longer able to file a lawsuit.

I carry a Ruger LC9 9mm which is incredibly thin and light, goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and is something I'm willing to carry every day as opposed to my 1911. I can't stress how important it is just to have a pistol on you as opposed to leaving the big blaster at home because you're sick of the weight and bulk. A .(insert small caliber) in the pocket is worth a hell of a lot more than the 1911 left on the nightstand at home.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
11+1 (Glock 26 9mm with +1 mag extension)
13+1 (Glock 21SF .45)
15+1 (Glock 20 10mm)

I have a 1911, but I don't carry it. External safeties aren't in my muscle memory (neither is a SA trigger) and I don't like the idea of only having 7+1, especially since I don't carry extra mags.

GroundPounder

I'll tell you now that the most important consideration in choosing the pistol you purchase for CCW is ensuring that it's the one you're going to be willing to carry every day as opposed to that heavy and/or uncomfortably sized hand cannon.

Second, capacity should be way down the ladder of priorities when considering what carry pistol to use. Like it's already been said, if you can't solve the problem with 3-6 rounds, then you're not going to solve the problem with 6-18. 3-6 should be enough to either eliminate or seriously postpone the threat, giving you the opportunity to end or get out of the situation.

I'd also venture to guess that virtually all CCW use situations are in very close quarters, since there are not many scenarios where you can justify deadly force in self defense when at a significant distance from a criminal. So it's going to be most likely 0-5 yards which means pointing the pistol in the general direction (or just shoving the barrel into their gut) and pulling the trigger until they are no longer able to file a lawsuit.

I carry a Ruger LC9 9mm which is incredibly thin and light, goes bang every time I pull the trigger, and is something I'm willing to carry every day as opposed to my 1911. I can't stress how important it is just to have a pistol on you as opposed to leaving the big blaster at home because you're sick of the weight and bulk. A .(insert small caliber) in the pocket is worth a hell of a lot more than the 1911 left on the nightstand at home.

I was preparing to write what he said. In my 23 years experience as an LEO this is spot on.

The most important thing is to possess a weapon that you are proficient with, and willing to carry on a daily basis any and everywhere you are legal to do so.