• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can NFO's pilot jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Schnugg said:
Not gonna happen. I know of no pilot that would leave the controls of the plane they signed for in the hands of an NFO.
Mine does it all the time :eek: ....oh wait.... I'm not in the military anymore and I'm the copilot......:D

Keebler71

Schnugg said:
Not gonna happen. I know of no pilot that would leave the controls of the plane they signed for in the hands of an NFO.

Most of my pilots were pretty proficient at using a piddle pack while still in their seat. Some even got bonus points for not getting the aircraft "wet". However, when I was going throught VS-41 (RAG) at North Island, it was routine to fly out to El Centro for FCLPs with three pilots and one NFO. One pilot would bounce, the other two would be getting sick in the back (S-3 can have a pretty nasty dutch roll) and then we'd delta with the NFO at the controls while the next pilot swapped out. With a couple other exceptions, that was pretty much the only time the NFO would have the controls and the pilot was not in a position to take them back. Now that I think about it,... I'm going to look that up in 3710 and see what it says about situations like that...

Actually it was pretty routine for an NFO to fly in the Hoov although it really depended on the crew dynamics and experience levels. Some NFOs had no interest, others had their commercial intstrument/multi-engine rating and logged all their S-3 time (legally).

-Keebler

East

东部
Contributor
On the bigger platforms it's not uncommon to get some airtime as aircrew. Mostly it's an extension from what is born in the Sim where most of us (aircrew) got the basics of the secrets of flight.....:icon_eek:

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur with the momentary S-3 crew swap scenario.

But no Navy pilot leaves a plane with a non-rated pilot and goes away from the controls.

Murphy's Law just waiting to happen.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Our resident NFO's who have experience have weighed in ... they have answered the original question to anyone and everyone's delight --- so now, let us be kind and put the never-ending "what-if" insanity to bed ....

Status
Not open for further replies.