• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can NFO's pilot jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinBakerFan

I heard that certain jets like the F-18 have dual flight controls. I know that NFO's have a lot of duties and I was curious if they are able to fly the jet as well ? Are NFO's given pilot training at all during flight school, or do they have to persue that on their own dime?? I could see where NFO's being able to fly the aircraft would be beneficial if the pilot is knocked out or killed that the NFO is able to fly the Jet back to the aircraft carrier, just wanted to know if it ever happens.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as I know, the only jet an NFO can hope to fly is an S-3.

jmac12

No, NFO's don't fly the superhornet. In a few jets at the rag there are controls in the back, but in the fleet the NFO has NO flight controls.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
NFOs have better things to do than fly.

Brett

If I take a bird in the face, unconscious, I'd much rather take my chances getting ejected by my NFO, than an NFO trying to land at the boat. No thank you, and no offense to NFOs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
If I take a bird in the face, unconscious, I'd much rather take my chances getting ejected by my NFO, than an NFO trying to land at the boat. No thank you, and no offense to NFOs.
I'm with you 100%. Even if there were controls, an amateur trying to land a crippled jet on the boat endangers everyone on the flight deck as well as the aircrew. The jet is paid for - save the lives of the crew and live to fight another day in a different MODEX.

Brett

caeli

So, if the pilot is passed out for some reason and the NFO decides to eject, is the pilot automatically ejected too? Is there some setting on the plane where it gives the NFO the option of ejecting the pilot too? If not, it must really suck that the pilot/nfo goes down with the plane, just because the other guy couldn't reach the ejection handle.

KBayDog

How about we just put the NFO up front so he can absorb the bird strike. Once the NFO is knocked out, the pilot in the back can complete the mission, eat his PB&J (he'd probably have to remove some feathers from the bread at that point), and return to the boat in time for mid rats.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
How about we just put the NFO up front so he can absorb the bird strike. Once the NFO is knocked out, the pilot in the back can complete the mission, eat his PB&J (he'd probably have to remove some feathers from the bread at that point), and return to the boat in time for mid rats.

Isn't that the Cobra concept?? Guy in back is on the controls....??

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Command eject lever.

In an F-14D:

- If selected FWD RIO only goes for a ride if RIO pulls the handle.
- If selected FWD pilot and RIO go for a ride if pilot pulls handle. (Why leave the RIO behind?)

- If selected AFT, pilot and RIO go for a ride if RIO pulls the handle.
- If selected AFT, pilot and RIO go for a ride if Pilot pulls the handle.

It is a takeoff checklist read and reply item.

testing my memory of course...on the fwd and aft...but I think I got it right...

Status
Not open for further replies.