• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can I fly jets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydog

pilot
I don't post often on this forum but I enjoy reading it because I want to know what the current mentality is for the next crop of SNA. I'm getting really sick of the "What do I have to do to fly fixed winged plane" type of questions as if being a helo pilot is some type of curse.

To alleviate all of the confusion, I wanted to post a few of my observations about flying as a primary IP who came from a helo community.

1) Consider yourself lucky that you are there in the first place. There are plenty of more people who want to take your place who don't care what they fly.

2) You are not in flight school to get yourself a job with the airlines (Ask some vets, money and commercial aviation is becoming a myth). If you think that, go ahead and DOR and give guys/girls the chance to excel and become officers.

3) The military is not a flying club, except for maybe the Air Force. The job, for the most part, is about breaking things and killing people. It is not about building flight time. Get all notions about Top Gun out of your heads.

4) If you get a slot for the Navy/Marine Corps, accept the fact that you will probably fly a helo. If you cannot accept that, then do not apply. Flying cargo in the Air Force is not very tactical. In the Navy/Marine Corps team, I can assure you that you will be very involved in the operations that you are participating in whether it be ass and trash, troops in zone, or bombs on target. You will not be removed from the action. For all you wannebe types learn about order of battle.

5) Just because you have 500hrs of C172 time does not mean that you know jack **** about flying. Straight and level is not hard. Learning to operate in a tactical environment while doing a specific mission is, be that CAS, SAR, VERTREP, CSAR, ASSAULT,etc. Quit thinking that ERAU taught you anything. You will get your ass handed to you in primary.

6) Flying a helicopter is the only pure stick and rudder flying that you will do in the military. In a helicopter, altitude is just more time to scream. A helicopter is the only aircraft that you will feel as one with. Having flown both for over 2200hrs, I can assure you that helicopter flying is much more challenging. No offense to my strike brothers, but in a F-18 you are a voting member in the cockpit. If the computer doesn't like it, then aren't going to do it. In a helicopter you will do what you told that machine whether it's a good idea or not. All you SNA's is Strike feel free to add you experienced rebuttals.

7) As an experienced fleet aviator, look at your FitRep. Your primary duty is your ground job, being a pilot is secondary. Your job is leading Sailors/Marines. If you have some other type of motivation, the Chiefs/Gunny's will know and make you life a living hell. That being said, earning their respect will be one of your greatest accomplishments

8) You are never done learning. Just because you have selected, doesn't mean jack ****. You are never done upgrading. There is always another qual that you need. That is even true of IP's. It's a constant learning curve, but it does get easier.

9) Air Force training is equally good for being a pilot but is lacking for being an independent thinking officer. EP's do not take a 2 hr discussion, professionally trained pilots who react the appropriate way in an instant is what we want. We are training SNA's who will one day be in charge of a crew or a flight who can make a decision without an extended discussion. EP's should be handled promptly, without extended machinations.

Naval Aviation is an unforgiving job that takes dedicated professionals. Flight School is not the Fleet. Keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut and you might learn something. You'll have the best of times and the lowest of low's in your career but overall it's extremely rewarding.

Dusty Dog

dustydog

pilot
Patmack,

No, I'm a primary instructor so I'm not sure who you are talking about. However, I do miss flying helo's. Not all high time guys are bad but that being said, it doesn't mean that they will be good either. As I'm sure you have learned, prior flight time does not translate easily to the military way of doing things, especially in the briefs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
dustydog said:
.....6) Flying a helicopter is the only pure stick and rudder flying that you will do in the military..... A helicopter is the only aircraft that you will feel as one with. Having flown both for over 2200hrs ....
Dusty Dog

Overall: well said; a good post and something for the Studs, Nuggets, and hopefuls to think about ... But having flown over 18,000 hours (even 65 rotary wing!!) , I think you goofed up on #6 ... might want to rethink it ... :icon_wink

To wit: Pure stick & rudder? Feel "one" with the airplane? EVER SEEN ONE OF THESE ?? Ever "touch one" ??
:)

MYNV04P03_18B.jpg
MYNV12P13_14B.0360.jpg

But, some good thoughts.
updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

dustydog

pilot
A4's

The next generation will never fly a plane(s) like you flew. It's a fly by wire Navy, for good or bad. A mode III approach is considered an emergency these days.

To wit: Only the helos flew them on my first cruise until we convinced CAG, the Air Boss, and the Captain that turning off the lights and allowing us to do NVG approaches that were safer and faster than the alternative.

Rotary wing in now the "old school" Naval Aviation, not that don't I appreciate your allusions to times when men strapped their planes on. :)

Dusty Dog

dustydog

pilot
**** off junior. Write back when you have done something with your life. You won't get a wink from me, I mean it. I'm not bitter but their are some dedicated professionals out there, whether they are SNA's or NA's who don't need to hear from high school seniors like yourself.

I will retract my harsh language if your profile is an accurate description of you. PM if you really want to hear the in's and outs of becoming a SNA.

Dusty Dog

Reactions: E5B

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
dustydog said:
A4's
The next generation will never fly a plane(s) like you flew. It's a fly by wire Navy, for good or bad. A mode III approach is considered an emergency these days.
Roger that! --teasing you a little. What you said is true; sad but true. More bells and whistles, to be sure -- but progress? -- I sometimes wonder? Oh, well -- at least it costs more ... so it must be progress. :)
updatba.gif
ROGER BALL !!

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
dustydog said:
I don't post often on this forum but I enjoy reading it because I want to know what the current mentality is for the next crop of SNA. I'm getting really sick of the "What do I have to do to fly fixed winged plane" type of questions as if being a helo pilot is some type of curse.

Hey man, it's just a preference you know? Some people like driving sports cars, others like driving big trucks with mud flaps. You can't hold it against people for having a preference.

Just for the record...I won't be the one *****ing when I get a cobra slot...hee hee.

saltpeter

Never forgett the most important EP in your career - Early Promote - those who forget will be destined to remember. Your ground job is the end all be all in your aviation career no matter what platform and all that flowery prose written on ain't worth shat it's all about trying too break out with an EP. Just sit back and wwait for all the generated excess paperwork around FITREP time.

Status
Not open for further replies.