• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can History Majors be Fighter Pilots?

Jim Davis

As I mentioned before, I am a history major - and a HUGE NAVY AVIATION BUFF since I was 12 (particularly WWII)! Thank you for the info. And I AM very eager to be picked up for flight training once I apply.

You are entering a world that you know nothing about , and I am not talking about the flying. You will need very thick skin and will have to spend a lot of time watching how things are. The call sign that sticks is the one that you hate the most. Hint..They are not earned every day in the air. They are usually the result of something very embarrassing. If you make a mistake, you won't hear the end of it. We used to keep a log on cruise called quotable quotes (stupid things said) and most guys had them committed to memory. It is a world of cockiness wrapped in professionalism where the weak and timid get devoured, because when you get down to it you are the best of the best and see and do things on a daily basis that most of the world cannot comprehend much less dream about. I'm jsut sayin...

A7Dave

pilot
You are entering a world that you know nothing about , and I am not talking about the flying. You will need very thick skin and will have to spend a lot of time watching how things are. The call sign that sticks is the one that you hate the most. Hint..They are not earned every day in the air. They are usually the result of something very embarrassing. If you make a mistake, you won't hear the end of it. We used to keep a log on cruise called quotable quotes (stupid things said) and most guys had them committed to memory. It is a world of cockiness wrapped in professionalism where the weak and timid get devoured, because when you get down to it you are the best of the best and see and do things on a daily basis that most of the world cannot comprehend much less dream about. I'm jsut sayin...

Topgun1991, the above is the best bit of advice given so far.

BTW, what are your hobbies or non-academic activities? While there are book worms who have made it through the program, all about me types generally fail.

Are you an athlete? Guys/gals with a history of team sports involvement generally have the type of team attitude and competitive nature that will get you through training. You need to be able to take your hits and come back for more because training will never let up. Unlike most of modern day life, Naval Aviation is unforgiving of personal weakness. Everyone makes mistakes, but you better not make it a trend.

You need to be self confident and possess a high level of mental toughness. On dark stormy night at the back of the boat (whether helo or jet), there is only one person inside the helmet who is going to land the plane. You only get "do-overs" as long as your gas holds out. And if you make a habit of not getting aboard the first time, you'll be perceived as a weak sister who will eventually be FENABed or hounded out of the squadron.

Similar to what the SEALs say about their training, perfectly fit and tough guys don't make it because they didn't have the mental attitude that makes them a winner.

Renegade One

None
Topgun1991, the above is the best bit of advice given so far.

BTW, what are your hobbies or non-academic activities? While there are book worms who have made it through the program, all about me types generally fail.

Are you an athlete? Guys/gals with a history of team sports involvement generally have the type of team attitude and competitive nature that will get you through training. You need to be able to take your hits and come back for more because training will never let up. Unlike most of modern day life, Naval Aviation is unforgiving of personal weakness. Everyone makes mistakes, but you better not make it a trend.

You need to be self confident and possess a high level of mental toughness. On dark stormy night at the back of the boat (whether helo or jet), there is only one person inside the helmet who is going to land the plane. You only get "do-overs" as long as your gas holds out. And if you make a habit of not getting aboard the first time, you'll be perceived as a weak sister who will eventually be FENABed or hounded out of the squadron.

Similar to what the SEALs say about their training, perfectly fit and tough guys don't make it because they didn't have the mental attitude that makes them a winner.
Well, my young Padawan...you ask a lot of questions. Shortest answer I can come up with is "there is no formula" that will guarantee success in anything.
First of all, to end this possible madness where it started: "Yes, History majors can become fighter pilots."
CAVEAT: There is no longer a truly described "Fighter Pilot community" as it used to mean. Times change. Probably we can blame (maybe "credit"?) the fighter pilot community itself: Once the aerial threat is eliminated, everyone wants to remain "relevant". Hence...Hellcat and Corsair CAS, Panthers and Banshees doing the same in Korea, Phantom and Crusader pilots spending much of their lives doing flak suppression and air-to-groundin Vietnam...Tomcats "evolving"into "Bombcats" for OEF/OIF. You get the idea.

Forget anything you've ever heard or thought about any of the following being "important indicators" of future success in Naval Aviation: Hobbies, "book worm-age", "perfect fitness", physical toughness, individual or team sports, "leadership roles" before OCS, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, college majors, summer jobs, political affiliation or leaning, your personal faith-based group or beliefs, your family history or background, and so many more... With apologies to Meatballs: "It just doesn't matter!"

THERE IS NO FORMULA FOR SUCCESS IN THIS BUSINESS OTHER THAN SUCCEEDING.

CAVEAT: Due to the times...SOME of that "non-relevant" crap I listed above MAY be relevant to "gaining access" to the program today. Just so long as you know that none of those things have any historical relevance concerning how well you will actually perform, but are just the things "large organizations" default/ automatically "look for" when applicants outnumber available slots. Sad to see that after 100 years, we still "assess" the bullshit and don't have any better metrics. And NO...I don't have a better solution. It is what it is, I guess. God forbid we ever get into another time when those...like me...who could "fog a mirror" were given the opportunity...and succeeded far beyond "the system's expectations" (Hey...it ain't bragging if you've done it...). :)

I HOPE all of would agree that "success", within our narrowly-defined construct and sphere(s) of influence...is this: Getting Navy Wings pinned on your chest. What community you choose or get sent to...which options were "available", or "best met the needs of the Naval Service" that week, or what your performance "cut" for...it just doesn't matter. You have just entered a life-altering phase of life, and it's up to you what you make of the opportunity.

All the crap above about air-to-mud versus air-to-air is just so much crap. But it's friendly crap...which also has always sorta defined this business. I hope THAT part never ends...

draad

Honestly at the end of the day, who cares what you operate in the Armed Services. As a winged Naval Aviator, you will operate some of the most advanced machinery man has developed, and you will be saving lives one way or another whilst doing so. Additionally, you will have the pleasure and satisfaction of leading the best sailors and Marines the world has to offer.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, my young Padawan...you ask a lot of questions. Shortest answer I can come up with is "there is no formula" that will guarantee success in anything.
First of all, to end this possible madness where it started: "Yes, History majors can become fighter pilots."
CAVEAT: There is no longer a truly described "Fighter Pilot community" as it used to mean. Times change. Probably we can blame (maybe "credit"?) the fighter pilot community itself: Once the aerial threat is eliminated, everyone wants to remain "relevant". Hence...Hellcat and Corsair CAS, Panthers and Banshees doing the same in Korea, Phantom and Crusader pilots spending much of their lives doing flak suppression and air-to-groundin Vietnam...Tomcats "evolving"into "Bombcats" for OEF/OIF. You get the idea.

Forget anything you've ever heard or thought about any of the following being "important indicators" of future success in Naval Aviation: Hobbies, "book worm-age", "perfect fitness", physical toughness, individual or team sports, "leadership roles" before OCS, extra-curricular activities, community involvement, college majors, summer jobs, political affiliation or leaning, your personal faith-based group or beliefs, your family history or background, and so many more... With apologies to Meatballs: "It just doesn't matter!"

THERE IS NO FORMULA FOR SUCCESS IN THIS BUSINESS OTHER THAN SUCCEEDING.

CAVEAT: Due to the times...SOME of that "non-relevant" crap I listed above MAY be relevant to "gaining access" to the program today. Just so long as you know that none of those things have any historical relevance concerning how well you will actually perform, but are just the things "large organizations" default/ automatically "look for" when applicants outnumber available slots. Sad to see that after 100 years, we still "assess" the bullshit and don't have any better metrics. And NO...I don't have a better solution. It is what it is, I guess. God forbid we ever get into another time when those...like me...who could "fog a mirror" were given the opportunity...and succeeded far beyond "the system's expectations" (Hey...it ain't bragging if you've done it...). :)

I HOPE all of would agree that "success", within our narrowly-defined construct and sphere(s) of influence...is this: Getting Navy Wings pinned on your chest. What community you choose or get sent to...which options were "available", or "best met the needs of the Naval Service" that week, or what your performance "cut" for...it just doesn't matter. You have just entered a life-altering phase of life, and it's up to you what you make of the opportunity.

All the crap above about air-to-mud versus air-to-air is just so much crap. But it's friendly crap...which also has always sorta defined this business. I hope THAT part never ends...
All well and sagely said!

Oh, and that "air-to-air" vs. "air to mud" was not just "so much crap." ...............[So yes, OK, maybe it was crap. But what fun!!! Only those who lived it can appreciate it! It made us all better, and was fun. Still is after many years.]

A7Dave

pilot
Left out a crucial word or two. Meant to say:

Similar to what the SEALs say about their training, perfectly fit and tough guys sometimes don't make it through the program because they didn't have the mental attitude that makes them a winner.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh, and that "air-to-air" vs. "air to mud" was not just "so much crap." ...............[So yes, OK, maybe it was crap. But what fun!!!

Cat, you ought to run for political office... grrr8 'flip flop'!:D
BzB

Renegade One

None
Really well said sir. This should be a sticky somewhere here.
God forbid...it would dissuade the Chess or Latin Club Presidents and the National Spelling Bee winners...they have dreams too.;)
Unbeknownst to any of us...some of them have no doubt excelled in this business. Who knew?

blackbart22

pilot
Back when I was an instructor in VT-21, the XO was impressed with a "real" engineering degree and decreed that each accident/incident board have a member with such a degree. I caught the first one, Mel caught the second and when a third one came along they put me on it. I complained, but the OPs O said that the XO wanted an engineer on the board. I suggested getting one of the others and he said that there weren't any others. Mel and I took a couple of hours off and went to personnel to check. Turned out of all those instructors only two had engineering degrees (and both of us got ours at Monterey). The most common degree was in teaching, followed by poli-sci. One guy even had a pre-veterinary medicine degree although that may have been valuable all things considered. Most of the instructors had come from A-4, F-8, or F-4 squadrons, so back in '66 nontech degrees were the normal in those types of outfits.

midhusker

Discovering my inner nerd-ness
I know a guy who was a history major and flew (strike) fighters as a JO and recently graduated Test Pilot School as well. So it can be done. But like people have warned on here already, be careful what you wish for. Being a "fighter pilot" is nothing like it is in the movies. Tons of work and tons of time away from home. Still a fun job though, just different than what the movies portray it as.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
You can be a history major and still be a naval aviator - but you have to fly old airplanes. In the U.S. Navy, that's not generally a problem. We have thousands of fully-depreciated aircraft.