• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Can History Majors be Fighter Pilots?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
READ MY LIPS...majors count for little...grades, test scores, fitness, flight school performance (airmanship & leadership} all mean a lot. BTW Navy "fighter pilots" no longer exist, VA (ATTACK) & VF (FIGHTER) are now combined as VFA (STRIKE FIGHTER). Stop sweating the college major!:rolleyes:
BzB, retired VA Pilot:cool:
Hey! Wait a minute! I'm a fighter pilot. And I do exist! Yes? Still? I hope? :)

But I must admit the gene pool has been severely tainted and diluted by the merging of the two, fighter and attack communities. :(

The Fighter squadrons that I was in had every conceivable major represented. I was an Econ. major. We had forestry majors, aero. majors, and you-name-it majors. In fact in VF-1 (a true, pure and elite F-14 Fighter squadron) we had a guy who had majored in Classical (read "dead," like Greek and Latin) languages.

Like others have said: Your major is minor. Other things are far more important. Good luck.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

You are a 'former' (inactive) fighter pilot & yes, you do exist!;)

But I must admit the gene pool has been severely tainted and diluted by the merging of the two, fighter and attack communities. :(

Hmmmph, when I winged, having been selected for the revered 'fighter community', I received orders to VF-94 (FJ-3Ms), along with 5 fellow nuggets. Within 6 months, CNAP recognized the squadron's performance improvement following the new ENSs' arrival and redesignated the squadron VA-94. I was, at first, disappointed until I realized that bombing, firing rockets, strafing & low-level nav (legal flathatting), was much more fun than those boring A/A intercepts & dogfighting.:p
BzB...There was "NO SLACK....IN LIGHT ATTACK"!

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
The Fighter squadrons that I was in had every conceivable major represented. I was an Econ. major. We had forestry majors, aero. majors, and you-name-it majors. In fact in VF-1 (a true, pure and elite F-14 Fighter squadron) we had a guy who had majored in Classical (read "dead," like Greek and Latin) languages. Like others have said: Your major is minor. Other things are far more important. Good luck.
You gave me inspiration! Being a Fighter Pilot is my dream come true!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You can fly anything with a History degree, granted you do like everyone else and go through flight school, do well enough to get what you want, and have your wishes line up with the needs of the Navy. I am unaware of any aircraft in our inventory that requires a technical degree to operate. I know for a fact that flying the Hornet does not.

I would also say that whatever you think flying a fighter is about, is probably wrong. It is very rarely accurately depicted in anything, and the reality is much different than the public's perception. It's a great job, and I love it, but not for any of the reasons that I thought I would when I was in your shoes. Just something to consider......if I were you, I'd be more worried about simply getting picked up for flight training in the service, rather than worrying about what you might end up flying.

TOPGUN1991

Naval Aviation Hopeful!
You can fly anything with a History degree, granted you do like everyone else and go through flight school, do well enough to get what you want, and have your wishes line up with the needs of the Navy. I am unaware of any aircraft in our inventory that requires a technical degree to operate. I know for a fact that flying the Hornet does not.

I would also say that whatever you think flying a fighter is about, is probably wrong. It is very rarely accurately depicted in anything, and the reality is much different than the public's perception. It's a great job, and I love it, but not for any of the reasons that I thought I would when I was in your shoes. Just something to consider......if I were you, I'd be more worried about simply getting picked up for flight training in the service, rather than worrying about what you might end up flying.
As I mentioned before, I am a history major - and a HUGE NAVY AVIATION BUFF since I was 12 (particularly WWII)! Thank you for the info. And I AM very eager to be picked up for flight training once I apply.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are a 'former' (inactive) fighter pilot & yes, you do exist!;)
Hmmmph, when I winged, having been selected for the revered 'fighter community', I received orders to VF-94 (FJ-3Ms), along with 5 fellow nuggets. Within 6 months, CNAP recognized the squadron's performance improvement following the new ENSs' arrival and redesignated the squadron VA-94. I was, at first, disappointed until I realized that bombing, firing rockets, strafing & low-level nav (legal flathatting), was much more fun than those boring A/A intercepts & dogfighting.:p
BzB...There was "NO SLACK....IN LIGHT ATTACK"!

Inactive? Hey, try Semi-active! Besides, like those jarheads, once a fighter pilot, always a fighter pilot!

As you know we too did air-to-mud. But we never talked about it or admitted it. ;) It was "beneath" us. (Obvious pun for those others here often blind to the obvious) But you are right. It was far more enjoyable than A/A intercepts. But never compared to ripping the wings off ACM. :D

Water off the back, your no-slack-light-attack smack. (You sound like A4s foever) Who had your back? Who got all the women? Who did they make movies about? Who were more handsome? Who loved themselves more than anyone else alive? True Fighter Pilots! That's who. :cool:

Orders to a FITRON were different than orders to an ATKRON. But we all had great fun and did the job! Didn't we? Bruddahs and warriors together forever. [And I think you did far more than I ever did.]

I wonder what today's 'bug' 'RON" it is called today? A FARON?

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Is it a sign you've been on this site too long when you see these questions and automatically think "Yes! Someone else for the mod squad to crush!!!"

<- history major non fighter pilot...