• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

California Is Going Under

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of that is because of the ridiculous propositions that keep getting voted on, especially a few years back. We have a representative form of government for a reason.

There are several reasons that California has such budget problems, and Picaroon has pointed out one of them. Instead of being able to shift around funds where they are needed most there are several things that have to be funded because the voters have decided that they must, not a very efficient way to run government. Another very big reason California is having trouble is that the legislature also requires a 2/3 majority to pass the budget, which hobbles many of the compromises necessary to pass a budget on time and gives small groups or individual members much more power than they do in the 47 states that require only a majority to pass a budget. The legislature is further impeded by the gerrymandered state legislative districts that ensures not much changes.

While California is certainly a good example of severe budget troubles it is only one of many states facing them. Florida, Nevada and Arizona also are facing pretty large budget gaps this year too, among many others. So California is not too terribly unique.

Oh yeah, lay off the bold, you ain't senior or crotchety enough to have earned it yet. And it is annoying.

gonad

And yet California has the largest economy of all the states and has far and away been a net contributor to the Federal coffers. That it may need help in a fiscal crisis is not a sign that it is failing. If that were true, then all the states that regularly take more Federal dollars than their constituents pay must also be failures, since we're subsidizing their failure to raise money.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/press/show/22659.html

Sometimes I can't help but feel folks are cheering for California to fail.

California overtaxes (10% state income tax), overborrows, and overspends. Regardless of the moral views of it's lack of good economic policy, it is still competing with other states for taxpayers and good revenue in general. Nevada is host to quite a large number of California's tax refugees. The People's Republic of Kalifornia has not spent less than their revenue in 8 years. The free market is just showing Cali's true colors.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
There are several reasons that California has such budget problems, and Picaroon has pointed out one of them. Instead of being able to shift around funds where they are needed most there are several things that have to be funded because the voters have decided that they must, not a very efficient way to run government.

Democracy in action! Let us remember the current governor largely owes his position to this kind of mentality.

Yeah, California will be fine (mixed feelings on the "how that will happen" part of that).

We still grow all the food with migrant workers and stole all of your water to do so...

USNMark

It's because we are.

It's not a matter of if it is going to fail, it's when and how bad they are going to drag others down with them. All of the idiots out there were at the center of the sub-prime mess and the entire state is a sucking hole of debt.

Screw California.

Somewhere in that quote I'm supposed to get an impression you know what you're talking about. Do they teach econ or poli sci at Texas? :confused:
Yeah, despite the fact that sub-prime lending was a pit a lot of Americans fell into, because California has such a large population, we'll focus on them as the source of the problem. :sleep_125 an argument so lacking in effort it puts you to sleep.

Bevo16

pilot
Somewhere in that quote I'm supposed to get an impression you know what you're talking about. Do they teach econ or poli sci at Texas? :confused:

This is fucking funny.

I have a guy from a totally bankrupt state asking me if they teach economics at my school? Yea, they teach economics at Texas. Maybe that is why the people in my state are educated enough to elect a state government that is business friendly, and can keep the state solvent. You will not see Rick Perry running with hat in hand to Washington begging for a bailout.

Yeah, despite the fact that sub-prime lending was a pit a lot of Americans fell into, because California has such a large population, we'll focus on them as the source of the problem. :sleep_125 an argument so lacking in effort it puts you to sleep.

Living 3 years in the People's Republic of Kalifornia was taught me all I needed to know about the retarded nature that the people out there govern themselves by, and the equally irresponsible way that people handle their personal finances. There is not an illegal immigrant that they will not shelter, educate, feed, and water all on the state taxpayer dime.

Want to go to the beach, well they you can feed the meter and pay $2.00 an hour to part on the side of a public road. Nice.

As for subprime...at some point in that period I lost track of the number of people that I knew who pulled "equity" out their their insanely overpriced piece of shit homes for a new Hummer, or boob jobs, or just to go on a vacation. Now those jackasses are looking to everyone else for a bailout because they fooled themselves into thinking that a 3000 square feet encased in particle board and stucco on 1/8th of acre was worth a million dollars.

You think that "everyone" fell into subprime to the same degree???

Really?

bailout3.jpg

RIIIIIIGHT!!! Take a quick look and tell me if you can locate the anchor that is dragging everyone down. I'll give you a hint. It's on the left.

**** you very much, sir

Have you totally lost your mind?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Consider this a warning.

**** you very much, sir
Who in their right mind thinks they could get away with this phrase to someone's face? Really? Then why is it popping up here? The next time I catch a junior posting something like this to a senior, you can expect the week off from the site. At least.

This is not Fark, and you are not arguing with nerds hanging out in their moms' basements. If you can't advance an argument, particularly to a senior officer, without ad hominem attacks, then leave this site until you can.

Random8145

Would despise be a better word? ;)

I figure there are only a few people here that can pull the whole bold thing off, Random ain't one of them.

The bold thing was a mistake actually, I don't know why I didn't even notice it here when I posted it, as that is A4sForever's signature way of posting, plus like you said I am not an authority figure here. I posted a similar post over at a different site and had posted it in bold, and copy-pasted to some extent, which included the bold tags.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Want to go to the beach, well they you can feed the meter and pay $2.00 an hour to part on the side of a public road. Nice.

It's not like we have very many toll roads?? We do have a lot of regular ones in place of other expensive infastructure.

This, of all things, actually makes sense to me, but I may be missing something...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oh how soon we forget...

Of course, that was before the White House changed hands. Now we must be opposed to bailouts because a Dem's in charge, right?

And next time a hurricane hits the lone star state, don't ask for a federal bailout either.
There is a world of difference between applying for federal disaster relief funds, and asking the federal government to step in and relieve you of the consequences of routine misfeasance.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There is a world of difference between applying for federal disaster relief funds, and asking the federal government to step in and relieve you of the consequences of routine misfeasance.

Yes, I agree on the disaster aid part, but snake's first link had nothing to do with disaster aid and everything to do with bailout money.