• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-17 at wrong airport?

Flugelman

Contributor
<<<

Where the hell did you find my cat??? :p

Is this it? Advanced Direction-finding Feline.

tin_foil.jpg

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does even better picking up WWVA (Wheeling, West by god Virginia) late a night, no matter where you were.

I remember listening as a kid (in New England), to WWVA Wheeling, WV, WCKY Cincinnati OH & b'golly W??? Del Rio TX. Hee haw, s*#t kickers all. You could pick up their signal out to Jupiter, but only at night! WWVA DJs pitched far out items such as "Folks, getchure free genuiiine personally autographed pitchure of Christ on the Cross!" (Back in the pre- 'PC' era) :oops:

KayBayDog: What the hell is an ADF?

KBay toys with our emotions ...:p, fer the yungun's,

ADF - Automatic Direction Finder: A simple low-frequency beacon, mostly used receiver (in my era) ARN-6 Had a little hand crank for tuning,,,so was called "coffee grinder". That was all we had for Inst. flight, X/C etc. in flight training. Hit the fleet in '58 at the same time as the new whiz bang TACAN! Only drawback, couldn't listen to AM radio like in the ARN-6, but much easier to navigate.:)
BzB

KBayDog

KBay toys with our emotions ...:p, fer the yungun's,

ADF - Automatic Direction Finder: A simple low-frequency beacon, mostly used receiver (in my era) ARN-6 Had a little hand crank for tuning,,,so was called "coffee grinder". That was all we had for Inst. flight, X/C etc. in flight training. Hit the fleet in '58 at the same time as the new whiz bang TACAN! Only drawback, couldn't listen to AM radio like in the ARN-6, but much easier to navigate.:)
BzB

KBay toys with your emotions, yes...but he also teaches the yunguns how to navigate with an ADF. Yes, the -57 still has ADF, and we still use it.

(As funny as it sounds, the -57 has one of the most pimped-out avi suites in the Navy)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Don't worry, Salty Ones, some of us still use ADF operationally... It's the only way to find sonobuoys at night.

phrogpilot73

BzB, yup - KBay is messing with you... Although, they may have already removed the coffee grinder from the Phrog when he started flying it. Me? Yeah, they still had them... Never used them for nav (in the Phrog), but certainly used them to "listen to navaid identifiers" (aka AM radio stations during a CCX).

OscarMyers

None
Don't worry, Salty Ones, some of us still use ADF operationally... It's the only way to find sonobuoys at night.
I remember the MH-53E had it. In the two years i was at HC-4 I think I maybe tested it once. Couldn't say if the pilots used it very often in Sicily.

dilbert123

pilot
We had a civilian land his Bonanza at Whiting when I was there in the mid-60's. After being taken into custody his wife said she was so impressed at how friendly the people were. In particular there was a young man on the runway waving at them as they landed. Fortunately someone in the tower saw him and cleared the pattern.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I remember the MH-53E had it. In the two years i was at HC-4 I think I maybe tested it once. Couldn't say if the pilots used it very often in Sicily.

Not really used operationally though. Mainly I used it to listen to the Hampton Roads Advisory Radio channel on AM to see how traffic was going to be after the FCF.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Someone told me a story about a Hornet that landed on the wrong carrier during the first Gulf War. Apparently it was completely covered in zap stickers before it could leave. Any confirmation/additional info out there?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Someone told me a story about a Hornet that landed on the wrong carrier during the first Gulf War. Apparently it was completely covered in zap stickers before it could leave. Any confirmation/additional info out there?
It's happened a number of times - usually with the same result. :)

MasterBates

IKE 2010 cruise, we ended up with 5 E-2s at one point, one was from VAW-117 that they left behind in Kandahar that we had to pick up.

Plane was returned painted in full VAW-121 colors.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

The CO of VA-216, an A4-C from HANCOCK, was returning from a strike with a hole in his wing a man could stand up in. Nearly out of fuel, he landed on our ship (RANGER) by design, & with clearance, as we were 50 miles closer than Hannah. He trapped amid a large SPLASH of JP-5, and was immediately 'hosed down' to avoid fire!:eek:

Needless to say... he was warmly received (as the wounded returning warrior he was), and he personally thanked the ship & crew on the 1MC... for 'having his back'. In this case, there was never a thought of "zapping" his Scooter, in fact, once secured in the hangar bay, his shattered bird became the crew's 'photo-op' of the day.:cool:
BzB