• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-17 at wrong airport?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Key West International and NAS Key West are often confused for each other, too. They're about 5 miles apart from each other.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Never landed on the wrong boat or the wrong airport..... but I can't believe the number of times I tried.

Yeah, I'm with you there - never the wrong place, but I was awfully convinced once or twice at night on approach to Fairchild AFB, wondering why my ILS needle was fully deflected when I could see the damn airport right in front of me, and man was I lined up!

Trust your instruments!

edit - I had visual on Spokane's airport, which is east of Fairchild.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Yeah, I'm with you there - never the wrong place, but I was awfully convinced once or twice at night on approach to Fairchild AFB, wondering why my ILS needle was fully deflected when I could see the damn airport right in front of me, and man was I lined up!.

Anyone who's flown around Whidbey much has seen that. It's worst at night in the clear since you spot both runways so far out. There were several instances of RAG studs, mostly the A-6's since they flew with two nuggets for CQ, launching for OLF Coupville and ending up down at Everett. I don't know of any that landed there but there were more than a few "where are youuuuu" call from paddles.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Someone told me a story about a Hornet that landed on the wrong carrier during the first Gulf War. Apparently it was completely covered in zap stickers before it could leave. Any confirmation/additional info out there?

Definitely true. A couple of months ago I was cordially invited to the flight deck for a FOD walk down. While up there, I thought it was odd when the Hornet appeared in the break, and even more odd when I saw him at the 180 with his gear down. He must have finally realized that this was not his ship once he noticed that the L.A. was full of A/C and Helos. I guess that's what happens when you have 3 carriers operating in the same working area.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
He must have finally realized that this was not his ship once he noticed that the L.A. was full of A/C and Helos. I guess that's what happens when you have 3 carriers operating in the same working area.

This is 'No S**t'... see posts 38 & 40, this thread.:eek:
BzB