• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

C-17 at wrong airport?

hlg6016

A/C Wings Here
Poor pilot is going to loose his wings over this, Might as well go all out and say the General gave him a "No Balls" to do it.

KBayDog

Poor pilot is going to loose his wings over this...

loose.jpg

loose-lose.jpg

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Never landed on the wrong boat or the wrong airport..... but I can't believe the number of times I tried.

Almost bit off on Eglin when we were supposed to go to Hurlburt a few days ago. Got cleared for the visual about 15 miles out when we thought we had the field in sight...as the needles kept swinging we did the "uhhh....something ain't right" look across the console and decided to reevaluate. Eglin = much bigger than H Burt.... which makes it a lot easier to see the wrong airport from 15-20 miles out. Whoops.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
VMO's picture shows why this seems a little more odd than the normal "oops, wrong airport" thing. Normally you bite off on the wrong runway because the two airports are oriented next to one another (Whiting is a perfect example). I've bit off on Hill AFB when I was trying to go into SLC thanks to the sunlight, but we (ie, not me) caught it in time.

What's odd about this is that TPF is in line with MacDill, and due to where TPA is located (to the north of both airports), MacDill lands on runway 04 98% of the time, so you'd have to fly over MacDill to get to TPF.

jtmedli

pilot
VMO's picture shows why this seems a little more odd than the normal "oops, wrong airport" thing. Normally you bite off on the wrong runway because the two airports are oriented next to one another (Whiting is a perfect example). I've bit off on Hill AFB when I was trying to go into SLC thanks to the sunlight, but we (ie, not me) caught it in time.

What's odd about this is that TPF is in line with MacDill, and due to where TPA is located (to the north of both airports), MacDill lands on runway 04 98% of the time, so you'd have to fly over MacDill to get to TPF.

Yeah it also seems like being on the wrong side of that bay would've been a big hint also.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've definitely bit off on the wrong field before, looking outside, but your instruments are your friends in those situations. Easy to do in some places. If the needle that's pointing to the navaid at your desired point of landing is 90 degrees off when you roll into the groove, time to reevaluate. :)

Suffered a 'could have been' Oops, wrong carrier, comin home to RANGER in '66. Pulling off target at Mu Ghia Pass (Unc 'Ho's Trail), suffered a severe 2-ft tear in the bottom of the stbd (wet) wing. [photos]. In a near instant the 1600# remaining in the wing vaporized and was gone. Climbing with only a full 1600# fuselage tank remaining, w/ wingie... headed poste haste for "feet wet".

Contacted the duty KA-3 Whale, arrangjng for some AR headin' home. Rdvz'd w/tanker & plugged no problems. About 90 miles out, contactcd 'Gray Eagle, advised of situation. They replied launching aircraft, will have ready deck upon arrival, expect straight-in. Continued in plugged all the way (we called that "being towed"), sipping just enough gas to keep the fuselage tank full (overflow would simply flow into the wing tag & be lost...possible fire hazard
we continued

Attachments

• Battle Damage-1.jpg
    Battle Damage-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 77
  • Battle Damage-3.jpg
    Battle Damage-3.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 77

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Suffered a 'could have been' Oops, wrong carrier, comin home to RANGER in '66.

***My program stopped working on Post #38, by the time it got fixed & finished the post... time to edit ran out & I couldn't add the finish, so I'll try to finish below ...

Continued in toward the ship, unplugged and called visual... in-sight at 10 miles. Ship called ready deck, call 5 miles with gear, tacan 'appearing' to point straight ahead. About 5 miles, I gasped & called your landing area is filled wit parked aircraft!:eek: Eagle calmly replied, check 11 o'clock you're heading for War Chief! A quick adjustment to port to the new centerline, called ball w/ gear & trapped without further incident (with fuel pouring out of the wing hole)!

Seems the relieving carrier had arrived & before the relieved ship departed, CARDIV decided to have a 3-carrier close line abreast formation for a photo op during our cycle...no one notified the Airwing (CVAs on Yankee Station together normally maintained 50 miles minimum separation)! Just 'nother fun day w/ the TG Yacht Club...:D
*Just amazing the lickin' the 'li'l Scooter' could sustain and keep on tickin':)
Battle Damage-1.jpgBattle Damage-3.jpg
BzB

blackbart22

pilot
As a brand new Ensign, I was shooting my first ever night ADF approach into NORIS. When I broke out, I glanced to the right and there at one o'clock was a lighted runway. Rechecked the #1 needle and the runway should have been directly ahead. Looked again and there was a runway staight ahead. As I got closer I recognized IT as NORIS 29, and landed. The first runway was the seadrome in South Bay. Now the gutless Guppy may have looked like it had a bathtub on the belly, but believe me they don't float.