• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Buying a Piper Cub

HuggyU2

None
Looks like me and some others are going to buy a '46 Piper Cub. Any of you out there ever owned a Cub? If so, comments? Observations? Things to look out for?
Also, what did you find the operating costs to be, i.e. how much per hour for your "maintenance reserve"?

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
"The Piper Cub is the safest airplane in the world; it can just barely kill you."
- Attributed to Max Stanley (Northrop test pilot)

I know its a completely worthless post... but at least its mildly humorous.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Looks like me and some others are going to buy a '46 Piper Cub. Any of you out there ever owned a Cub? If so, comments? Observations? Things to look out for?
Also, what did you find the operating costs to be, i.e. how much per hour for your "maintenance reserve"?
Huggy here is an excel sheet that I am using to figure out what plane is best for my needs.....you can manipulate it to figure out the exact costs.

Attachments

• Copy of Budget.xls
    27 KB · Views: 111

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I owned a Cessna 150. I leased it to a Navy Flying Club which helped defray some costs. However, a couple idiot students landing with their feet on the brakes can bullseye a tire and rack up the costs (some costs we could assign back to the stud).

I used a local mechanic that was referred to me and the routine and scheduled inspections were manageable. I set $5 per flight hour aside as a maintenance and engine overhaul reserve and a monthly prorated amount toward the annual. Having the local mechanic you can trust helped.

If one of your group has an A&P license, it'll save you big bucks.

This was in 1991 and 1992, so keep that in mind.

I enjoyed having it and flew it quite a bit when the flying club didn't have it scheduled.

HuggyU2

None
That .xls spreadsheet is good stuff. Thanks.
I figure this is the best way to get my taste of aircraft ownership. The other 4 guys have all owned aircraft, we've already got a "man cave" hangar, and the aircraft is pristine.

Hacker,
Yeah, I want something like a CJ or Yak. The Cub was offered to me for $42K, but I didn't want to commit that much money. Part of the reason is that on Wednesday, I got offered a chance to rent a T-6 very inexpensively, and I want to save my money to get heavily into that. So, in the bar on Friday, I mentioned it would be a great idea if we got partners on the Cub. One guy standing there said "I'm in". Next thing I know, there are 5 of us, with a couple others pissed because they didn't get in on the deal. So, for $8400 apiece buy in, I think it's the way to go. Once I learn more about owning an aircraft, I'll look at something like the CJ or Yak.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
Huggy here is an excel sheet that I am using to figure out what plane is best for my needs.....you can manipulate it to figure out the exact costs.

Good analysis FLTPAY. I would avoid the twins. Two times engine overhaul. A decent single will provide the same performance as a comparable twin.

I'm sure you already use trade-a-plane and Controller. Both are good places for comparison shopping.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

If it flys, floats or fvcks...it's cheaper to rent.

Just my $.02,
~D

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Good analysis FLTPAY. I would avoid the twins. Two times engine overhaul. A decent single will provide the same performance as a comparable twin.

I'm sure you already use trade-a-plane and Controller. Both are good places for comparison shopping.
I am going to get a Piper Lance. Roughly the same "cabin" space as a Seneca, same hauling ability, cheaper to own because of insurance and only one engine and prop (although 300hp will drive the price of an overhaul up). I have a lot of time in Senecas and Arrows, this is pretty much the hybrid of the two.