• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEWS Bumper Boats in the SCS

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Why the sudden spike in Chinese maritime aggression, anyways? I know they've always been quick to give the Japanese grief, but it seems like they're in the headlines more and more these days regarding their interaction with all of their neighbors, sans Russia.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it is several factors, most notably Xi Jinping is a lot more assertive than previous leaders and has a a more capable navy and coast guard to back up Chinese claims.

DesertRooster

The King of Nothing

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I am totally naïve when it comes to world politics. But a common negotiation tactic is to claim more than you are willing to settle for. It would be easy for the Chinese to blame the latest two excursions on private fishermen, and then publicly say they will rein them in and stay within the ridiculous EEZ they claim over the Spratlys area.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Apparently they don't mess around with the warning shots.

IwahBpM.jpg

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd really like to see one of those DDGs pull into that harbor at the Firey Cross installation unannounced, drop anchor, and have a steel beach picnic. Those reefs are in international waters and should be treated as such. To do any less only legitimizes the Chinese claim to the area.

Thus the FON OPS we've been conducting. We sail through those seas to demonstrate we don't recognize the sovereignty claims, and the Chinese protest to demonstrate that they haven't given the claims up. It's not just chest-beating - under maritime law, one way to legitimize sovereignty over an area you claim is to show that historically other nations ask your permission to sail through/fly over it, as Quaddafi tried to claim the Gulf of Sidra as a "historic bay" back in the '80's.

I don't think the Chinese will try pushing us deliberately. They have too much to lose and they're not in a position right now to start a war. Where it'll get interesting is when the Chinese start bumping smaller countries, especially the Vietnamese and Filipinos, in an effort to force compliance and rebuff their claims. If the Chinese do nothing, they're implicitly acknowledging the PCA's ruling. If they aggressively push other countries around, they invite an international response they don't particularly want.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Thus the FON OPS we've been conducting. We sail through those seas to demonstrate we don't recognize the sovereignty claims, and the Chinese protest to demonstrate that they haven't given the claims up. It's not just chest-beating - under maritime law, one way to legitimize sovereignty over an area you claim is to show that historically other nations ask your permission to sail through/fly over it, as Quaddafi tried to claim the Gulf of Sidra as a "historic bay" back in the '80's.

I don't think the Chinese will try pushing us deliberately. They have too much to lose and they're not in a position right now to start a war. Where it'll get interesting is when the Chinese start bumping smaller countries, especially the Vietnamese and Filipinos, in an effort to force compliance and rebuff their claims. If the Chinese do nothing, they're implicitly acknowledging the PCA's ruling. If they aggressively push other countries around, they invite an international response they don't particularly want.

True. I was referring to the distance the DDGs were keeping from the islands themselves, not the SCS as a whole. Good points, though.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I'd really like to see one of those DDGs pull into that harbor at the Firey Cross installation unannounced, drop anchor, and have a steel beach picnic. Those reefs are in international waters and should be treated as such. To do any less only legitimizes the Chinese claim to the area.

So it can run hard aground and cause a real problem?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
True. I was referring to the distance the DDGs were keeping from the islands themselves, not the SCS as a whole. Good points, though.

As long as they go within 12 miles it sends the message. I would prefer it not be portrayed as 'innocent passage' as the administration claimed one was, which is allowable in territorial waters, and it just be a plain FON op.