• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Budget Cuts and Flight/Simulator Training

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I were CAE, I wouldn't be touting the P-8 simulators at the moment...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been talked about for years. The article lumps all "training" into one big groups and fails to distinguish between TRACOM/RAG type training (which is SIM intensive) and fleet type training (which isn't). This has the effect of overstating the impact that an increased reliance on SIM vs actual flight time for your various fleet currency requirements. People in the NAE (from the Air Boss on down) are fighting this movement.

I'll believe it when I see it.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I wonder if being in the red block at a merge with a sim red air will be a TR violation.....

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm seeing exactly what Brett is talking about. Our 60 sim is great for EP/FAM/BI/RI stuff, as well as all the switchology of the tactical stuff. Beyond that, I'd want to be flying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know the newer Hornet/Rhino/Growler sims can be linked up, etc, etc. Out of curiosity, I would imagine they would be good for BVR stuff and working various employment timelines, but relatively "low-fidelity" in the WVR regime. Any pointy-nosed guys care to chime in?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I know the newer Hornet/Rhino/Growler sims can be linked up, etc, etc. Out of curiosity, I would imagine they would be good for BVR stuff and working various employment timelines, but relatively "low-fidelity" in the WVR regime. Any pointy-nosed guys care to chime in?

That is a pretty realistic assessment. IMHO the biggest problem with the sim is that it goes just how you planned, everyone's systems are 4.0, and there isn't a continual comm jam from bad AIC or GK/Beaver having conversations on guard.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
All that can be simulated, but it takes effort from the sim guys. Yeahhhhh.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
All that can be simulated, but it takes effort from the sim guys. Yeahhhhh.

Along with what synix was saying, and I think that's what they're mainly for. I agree though, you can't get that level of realism in the sim. There are things you can do in the sim though you can't do in the plane (odd systems malfunctions, bus losses, intense wx, etc). Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It doesn't take much, either - throw in a system degradation or, hell, an EA environment, and see where the mission goes. But you rarely see that stuff outside of EP sims.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Along with what synix was saying, and I think that's what they're mainly for. I agree though, you can't get that level of realism in the sim. There are things you can do in the sim though you can't do in the plane (odd systems malfunctions, bus losses, intense wx, etc). Each has it's own advantage and disadvantage.

The sim is a great tool for simulating emergencies (a good reason we do NATOPS and INST checks in the sim in my community), but it is not good at simulating the smells and the noises and those other intangibles of actually flying the jet tactically. It's good for building the muscle memory and some rote procedural stuff, but you don't get good at tactics by not flying.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If I were CAE, I wouldn't be touting the P-8 simulators at the moment...

What's your experience with the P-8 sims and overall transition? Just as many issues as the tort?

Sorry for a negative rep, fat fingered on my iPhone.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I agr
The sim is a great tool for simulating emergencies (a good reason we do NATOPS and INST checks in the sim in my community), but it is not good at simulating the smells and the noises and those other intangibles of actually flying the jet tactically. It's good for building the muscle memory and some rote procedural stuff, but you don't get good at tactics by not flying.

I agree, the sims will never handle like the plane and you miss that seat of the pants feel. A balance of sims/flights is the best way to do it, the question is, what's the right ratio?