• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bravo Zulu USCG

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I'm not a Coastie, but just wanted to say GREAT JOB to all the members of the Coast Guard serving in the wake of Katrina, and around the nation. Saw the video of Coastie Helos and Aircrew saving numerous people from the flooding. It's truly inspiring to think how selfless our USCG service members are in the wake of a disaster that probably destroyed their own homes. And to think that this professionalism, bravery, and selflessness occurs everyday. Proud to serve with you.
Semper Paratus.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Coast Guard helo guys typically fly in the worst weather conditions day/night and routinely save lives.

They earned my respect long ago.

r/
G

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup they go flying in dogsh!t weather to save people who dont know not to fly or sail in dogsh!t weather.
I think about switching over later on to balance out my karma and save a few people

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't care if it's a CSAR going down in the middle of WWIII, or some wayward guy about to bite it on his sailboat in the midst of a raging tempest, nothing brings a tear to my eye faster than Americans taking care of our own - no other nation in history does it better, brothers.

Brett

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Here here! BZ Coast Guard...

Airreg, where did you see the videos? I'd love to see them.

airgreg

pilot
DanMav1156 said:
Airreg, where did you see the videos?
On TV news. Check Foxnews or CNN, or even some of the local outlets from the area.

phrogpilot73

skidkid said:
Yup they go flying in dogsh!t weather to save people who dont know not to fly or sail in dogsh!t weather.
I think about switching over later on to balance out my karma and save a few people
I seriously looked into it... Even had my Primary on-wing put me in touch with the head of recruiting. I'm too old, and they don't do age waivers. Apparently, they're pretty fat on pilots right now.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
WWL-TV in New Orleans is saying USCG reports plucking over 1200 people out of the waters in and around the city.

airgreg

pilot
squorch2 said:
WWL-TV in New Orleans is saying USCG reports plucking over 1200 people out of the waters in and around the city.
Wow. Bless those guys flying over their own flooded houses to save others they have never met. Heroes.

Pags

N/A
pilot
eddie said:
I don't think so... not in the book anyways.

I'm just thinking movie. In the book there might have been more than one helo. But in the movie the one helo crew who rescues the crew of the sailboat and then has to ditch following an aborted refueling; they are ANG guys flying a PaveHawk.

edit: just did a little googling, and I guess 2 different helos were in the book. here's a link that mentions them and has pics from some of the Halloween Storm rescues.

http://www.uscg.mil/news/PerfectStorm/Realstorm.html