• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bought my first gun today

skywiz

What do I do?

What do you all recommend for a guy with a wife that won't allow guns in the house?

We have shot several times together (went to range and rented guns), taken the CCW course, and she is still resistant to me getting a gun.

By the way, I am an O-3 naval officer (and aviator). Just got married 1 month ago. Oh and we also had an attempted intrusion 5 months ago into our apartment. And she still is not comfortable with a gun in the house.

Our marriage is being strained big time..... any advice?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
What do you all recommend for a guy with a wife that won't allow guns in the house?

We have shot several times together (went to range and rented guns), taken the CCW course, and she is still resistant to me getting a gun.

By the way, I am an O-3 naval officer (and aviator). Just got married 1 month ago. Oh and we also had an attempted intrusion 5 months ago into our apartment. And she still is not comfortable with a gun in the house.

Our marriage is being strained big time..... any advice?

Maybe take her to a range, especially if that range has a ladies day.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
Amen. Shot it once and hated it. It's designed for people with big gorilla hands. I'd take a P22X or Glock over that thing any day.

I have big gorilla hands and I dont like that pistol. Its too clumsy feeling.

BigRed389

None
I have big gorilla hands and I dont like that pistol. Its too clumsy feeling.

Serious question, does anybody actually LIKE the M9?

Seems everybody I talk to about it agrees that in the 9mm variety, a Glock or SIG is far better.
I mean...the Glock 19 offers everything the M9 has in a smaller, lighter, and more reliable package(except an external safety).

navy09

None
the Glock 19 offers everything the M9 has in a smaller, lighter, and more reliable package(except an external safety).

+1

It's a GREAT gun for the price. If I were loaded I would have gone with a USP, but I'm very happy with the Glock.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I like the M9. It was my first handgun. I got it as a high school graduation present, so maybe I'm just sentimental. It's not the greatest feeling pistol, but I don't think I can remember mine ever jamming and thats ALOT of rounds without an issue... Even with all the M9's misgivings, I think I would regret it if I ever sold her...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seems everybody I talk to about it agrees that in the 9mm variety, a Glock or SIG is far better.
I mean...the Glock 19 offers everything the M9 has in a smaller, lighter, and more reliable package(except an external safety).
And that's why it'll never be adopted by the US military. I own a Glock myself; it's fun to shoot. But I wouldn't choose it for home defense or issue it in the military for exactly what you mention. Yes, I know, keep your booger hook off the bang switch blah blah blah Safe Action blah. If everyone was perfect all the time, there would be no need for a safety.

But I wouldn't trust SR Schmuckatelli or ENS Numbnuts, who grew up in San Francisco and never got within spitting distance of a gun until joining the military, not to shoot themselves in the foot with a Glock. Literally. I've heard some scary stories from many military communities about firearms safety, or lack thereof. From virtually all ranks. We're all not infantry, MAs, or SEALs who handle weapons daily.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I like the way the M9 fits my hand but I don't shoot it all that well. I'm not a big fan of double actions (DA). I don't shoot pistols that much any more and the long trigger pull on the first round and then the short trigger pull on the second round gives me a hard time.

IMHO a single action (SA) pistol is much easier to shoot well. Double action only (DAO) ain't bad either if you shoot it a lot.

GroundPounder

And that's why it'll never be adopted by the US military. I own a Glock myself; it's fun to shoot. But I wouldn't choose it for home defense or issue it in the military for exactly what you mention. Yes, I know, keep your booger hook off the bang switch blah blah blah Safe Action blah. If everyone was perfect all the time, there would be no need for a safety.

But I wouldn't trust SR Schmuckatelli or ENS Numbnuts, who grew up in San Francisco and never got within spitting distance of a gun until joining the military, not to shoot themselves in the foot with a Glock. Literally. I've heard some scary stories from many military communities about firearms safety, or lack thereof. From virtually all ranks. We're all not infantry or MAs who handle weapons daily.

I'll agree and disagree all at once. When we made the shift from 1911's in the Army to the M9 I hated the weapon, it just didn't " feel " right ever. I bought one, and still have it, but it is not my favorite handgun by any means.

As to the Glock, when my department went to the Glock there was a lot of resistance from the old timers, mostly concerning the lack of external safety. The fact that it was plastic also was not seen as a positive. I think a lot of what you think about a certain weapon comes down to what you are used to, and your mindset of what it should look and feel like.

The change over went fairly well, ( 1992 ) and we did not have as many ( reported ) AD's as I would have thought. The AD's were mainly due to people pulling the trigger with an empty magazine well, which in a Smith and Wesson has no effect as the trigger is disconnected. Do it with a Glock and you might get a bang you were not planning on. The lack of external safety in my mind does not contribute to this as you should not be pulling the trigger in the first place. It was a bad habit that the design of the gun both saved you from at the same time as encouraging it.

It seems as if those who don't " know " that a hand gun is supposed to have a little bit of heft to it look a certain way do well with them. The Glock is easier to teach a noivce to shoot well due to the consistant trigger pull.

I own several, and carry one daily at work, but a Glock will never be on my list of guns that I have to have.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Agreed. I love my glock, but it doesn't even come close to the accuracy of the 1911 or M&P. Now if only I could find a nice carry revolver with good accuracy and craftsmanship in a 357 mag. The S&W 38 special I shot was too light and the recoil and trigger pull caused a lot of inaccuracy.

There is absolutely nothing more inherently accurate about a 1911 series .45 (unmodified of course) than a Glock. Nothing. In fact, many would argue the opposite.

Second, recoil shouldn't be causing problems with single shot accuracy (unless you're flinching) because it happens well after the bullet is on its way. Trigger pull? Single action.
I love the historical aspects of it. The only downside I see is having to reload when the Greek Milsurp runs out, unless new ammo surfaces.

Why in the world would you have to reload?? Buy one set of Greek, so you have a practically limitless supply of clips, and then buy factory ammo. It's a .30-06 for crying out loud...probably the most commonly produced centerfire round in the world.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll agree and disagree all at once. When we made the shift from 1911's in the Army to the M9 I hated the weapon, it just didn't " feel " right ever. I bought one, and still have it, but it is not my favorite handgun by any means.

As to the Glock, when my department went to the Glock there was a lot of resistance from the old timers, mostly concerning the lack of external safety. The fact that it was plastic also was not seen as a positive. I think a lot of what you think about a certain weapon comes down to what you are used to, and your mindset of what it should look and feel like.

The change over went fairly well, ( 1992 ) and we did not have as many ( reported ) AD's as I would have thought. The AD's were mainly due to people pulling the trigger with an empty magazine well, which in a Smith and Wesson has no effect as the trigger is disconnected. Do it with a Glock and you might get a bang you were not planning on. The lack of external safety in my mind does not contribute to this as you should not be pulling the trigger in the first place. It was a bad habit that the design of the gun both saved you from at the same time as encouraging it.

It seems as if those who don't " know " that a hand gun is supposed to have a little bit of heft to it look a certain way do well with them. The Glock is easier to teach a noivce to shoot well due to the consistant trigger pull.

I own several, and carry one daily at work, but a Glock will never be on my list of guns that I have to have.
Okay, I guess my hunch as to the possible buffoonery involved with the "Safe Action" flies in the face of some anecdotal evidence. And perversely, I shoot better with my Glock than with my SIGs. I'd bet a large part of it is due to the consistent trigger pull and clean break.