• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bought my first gun today

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ya, thats the M2 Greek Ball, I believe. My buddy has a few Spam cans of the stuff. Looked to be in rough shape, but ran like a top.

I was wondering where you could find the American-made stuff from WW II/Korea.
The CMP will occasionally sell it when they get it. "Lake City" ammo is the term, I believe. It's American manufacture, dunno the date. Google "surplus ammo;" there's a bunch of other websites which sell surplus ammo. I have heard tell, though, that some businesses will buy the max allowable through the CMP and then turn around and sell the same rifles/ammo at a markup . . .

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The CMP will occasionally sell it when they get it. "Lake City" ammo is the term, I believe. It's American manufacture, dunno the date. Google "surplus ammo;" there's a bunch of other websites which sell surplus ammo. I have heard tell, though, that some businesses will buy the max allowable through the CMP and then turn around and sell the same rifles/ammo at a markup . . .

The few times I've gone to their site they have been selling the Greek stuff, never caught another kind. Thanks for pointing that out. There are a couple of other good surplus ammo sellers online, but ODCMP definitely has the edge when it comes to 30-06. I really need to speed up this rifle purchase...can i actually get it shipped to my door in CA? I was under the impression that I couldn't do that out here. Florida can't come soon enough!

red_ryder

None
Sweet, I bought my first handgun last Sunday as well. Got a Ruger P89 9mm. I had gone intending to buy a Sig, but this felt so good in my hand, in terms of grip and balance, and the price was much better as well, so here we are. Got it private sale so I didn't have to wait 3 days or background check or anything. Also, did you know you don't have to pay sales tax if you show your orders? Pretty sweet.

Now I just have to find a shooting range within reasonable distance. If anyone knows any or wants to go shooting some time, feel free to PM me.

-RR

wrecklessfool

just slackin...
I read this thread up to this pont and noticed that nobody mentioned the H&Ks...I have a P2000 .357 SIG and I absolutely LOVE it! It feels 10 times better than my old Glock 23 did in my hand. I don't think I would want anything different...

jfulginiti

pilot
None
I read this thread up to this pont and noticed that nobody mentioned the H&Ks...I have a P2000 .357 SIG and I absolutely LOVE it! It feels 10 times better than my old Glock 23 did in my hand. I don't think I would want anything different...

I looked at HKs but they are just too expensive. I got my Sig for $525. Cheapest HK I could find was over $800.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I looked at HKs but they are just too expensive. I got my Sig for $525. Cheapest HK I could find was over $800.
I'll never understand the mentality that thinks their life is only worth $275 + tax. :)

Forrest Gump might say .. "cheap is as cheap does .... "

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I'll never understand the mentality that thinks their life is only worth $275 + tax. :)

Forrest Gump might say .. "cheap is as cheap does .... "

And I love it when someone things their gun is better or more reliable just because it's more expensive:D

Had to do it! HK are exceedingly pricey, but it should boil down to personal preference. I'll stick w/ the block G19 for now.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
And I love it when someone things their gun is better or more reliable just because it's more expensive:D

Had to do it! HK are exceedingly pricey, but it should boil down to personal preference. I'll stick w/ the block G19 for now.
It's got nothin' to do w/ price, as I can afford any handgun I choose ... the H&K variants just fit my hand (and brain) better than the Euro-trash competition extant ....

Just to refresh --- if I only had one: it would be a Colt 1911.

Bite me. :D

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For what it's worth ... that's what hangs on the bedpost permanente ... in a Colt 1911 WW2 holster. :D

I consider it my "throw-down" gun. Maybe someday it will be an antique.
Just think, when we hit Peak Oil the polymer frame will be worth a fortune . . . :icon_tong

Zbone8762

the 1911 really is the greatest handgun design ever developed. Personally, Kimber and Sig (I don't even know if they make a 1911) are the best. I have a Kimber TLE/ Custom II (1911) in .45ACP and smash the black with it. You may pay more, but it is significantly more accurate. It is out of the box accurate - meaning you don't need to get the barrel regrooved and end up spending what it costs for a Kimber anyways. There's a reason the MEUSOC pistol is a Kimber Desert Warrior. Come on - when you can shoot 1" groups at 25 yards the Kimber speaks for itself. I sound like a used car salesman - but hey - they're the best. Also, the Marine Corps needs to go back to the .45 (which they are - Kimber) - because the M9 and the 9mm round itself are a piece of s***.