• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Booze, it's what's for dinner...

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hahn Beer.
Don't know if it's any good. Never had one. But I love their commercials:

navyao

That might be the worst video...ever...What's this red "x" mean...

You are absolutely correct, that was the worst video and I apologize, I posted the wrong one; the Chappelle Show skit itself was hilarious and it used to be on YouTube, now I can't find it - damn!

phrogpilot73

Hedge against inflation:

two-buck-chuck-wine-for-199.jpg

Can't lie, Charles Shaw is a pretty good wine for the price... As you pointed out - inflation is a bitch...

Two buck chuck became 3 buck chuck, and is currently 4 buck chuck (it's $3.99 in the local Trader Joe's)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've never tried the stuff (but certainly would if it were placed in front of me), however I've read a lot of tasting notes that weren't too favorable. Watched a video of a tasting of their 2005 stuff and the Syrah and Sauv. Blanc were fair, but the rest were said to be largely undrinkable. I will say that wine is one area where you can get some surprisingly good quality at lower price points, but aside from the hype, the Charles Shaw stuff doesn't appear to be in that category with any consistency.

That said, people ought to drink what they like, and I won't ever judge someone for that.

phrogpilot73

That said, people ought to drink what they like, and I won't ever judge someone for that.
I've only had their Chardonnay... Not really a huge wine drinker - so I'll get something that's drinkable and cheap when needed...

Although my wife I and did use to attend the weekly wine tastings at our favorite liquor store when we lived in MD. It's why we have so many bottles of top-shelf stuff...

Renegade One

None
I just wish we'd had anything similar to "2/3/4 Buck Chuck" (or that aviator -appellationed wine that shall remain nameless for long-standing ALPA reasons) back in my day.
College days were limited to Blue Nun, Mateus, or Lancers (in the green or clay-colored flasks).
Navy TRACOM and FRS days were further expanded by "Annie Green Springs" and "Boone's Farm"...in multiple flavors.
How little we knew.
My first "cognitive recalls" of good glasses of wine were in both the Cubi and Subic O'Clubs in the 1973 timeframe. Along with great meals...for the time. I expect the meals would still hold up to close scrutiny...as would the Mouton Cadet...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just wish we'd had anything similar to "2/3/4 Buck Chuck" (or that aviator -appellationed wine that shall remain nameless for long-standing ALPA reasons) back in my day.
College days were limited to Blue Nun, Mateus, or Lancers (in the green or clay-colored flasks).
Navy TRACOM and FRS days were further expanded by "Annie Green Springs" and "Boone's Farm"...in multiple flavors.
How little we knew.
My first "cognitive recalls" of good glasses of wine were in both the Cubi and Subic O'Clubs in the 1973 timeframe. Along with great meals...for the time. I expect the meals would still hold up to close scrutiny...as would the Mouton Cadet...
The US didn't really have a fine wine industry until Jim Barret (US Navy WWII vet) came along in the mid 1970s and put the Napa Valley on the map.

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Can't lie, Charles Shaw is a pretty good wine for the price... As you pointed out - inflation is a bitch...

Two buck chuck became 3 buck chuck, and is currently 4 buck chuck (it's $3.99 in the local Trader Joe's)

Last I knew, it was based on proximity to Cali. $2 in Cali (a recent trip to an SD TJ's supports this), $3 in AZ, etc. A steal at any of those prices though.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's a state tax issue, although distribution far and away could be at work too.

Flugelman

Contributor
I read somewhere that the pricing on the "Two Buck Chuck" was that instead of using the more expensive wooden storage casks for ageing they used stainless steel containers with little to no degredation in taste. We bought 2 cases last time in Monterey and it was palatable. Not a Silver Oak quality but palatable.

We are getting Trader Joes in the DFW area now. I'll have to make a speed run and check out prices.

Renegade One

None
The US didn't really have a fine wine industry until Jim Barret (US Navy WWII vet) came along in the mid 1970s and put the Napa Valley on the map.
I'm going to totally Google that...I never knew and had no idea. Thanks for the vector to more mindless internet searches. :)
All I think I know about Napa, I learned in the movie "Bottle Shock". (Spoiler Alert: I totally dug the blonde chick...) Eliza Dushku did not exactly suck either...

Wait...I hope that came out wrong...