• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Glad they appear to be making the decision to put lives ahead of equipment by pulling back and letting her burn.

I’m sure the fine from OSHA is going to be solid, guess we will see if the rumor the Captain personally paid the fine is real...

Short

None
Brings up a question for the SWOs.....how do you handle CG on an asymmetric ship (CVN, LHD) if all the aviation fuel is offloaded and the ship is in the water?
It is something you figure out prior to the maintenance period based on the work package. You can then use some massive weights that you can crane aboard to further adjust the list.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I’m sure the fine from OSHA is going to be solid, guess we will see if the rumor the Captain personally paid the fine is real...
Here's what's going to happen if the cause of the fire can't be immediately determined:

The crew on duty is going to undergo a criminal investigation, with most of the emphasis placed on the SDO/CDO (whatever you call the OIC). This will include polygraphs.

Every watchstanding infraction is going to be scrutinized as if that could have single handedly prevented the blaze.

The shipyard workers are union and will be protected from any questioning unless there's probable cause.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SWO Boss's official account is saying rotating teams of FEDFIRE and Sailors are back on board and fighting it.

View attachment 26798
I have a good friend that is a Federal Fire Department Battalion Chief at Pearl Harbor. The FFD trains constantly on fighting shipboard, submarine, aircraft and fuel fires as well as all the hazmat stuff involved with them. Each truck crew assigned to Pearl Harbor holds weekly drills with the ship’s company / squadrons personnel.

I’ve talked with my friend about this type of scenario in the past. The FFD ion Oahu has cooperation agreements with Honolulu FD. Depending on where and what, the appropriate department is in charge. Anything shipboard is FFD’s and the local civilian fighter fighters are more or less extra man power and equipment support as assigned by the FFD. The locals would have on real training for shipboard unless the were assigned to a harbor division and even then not near what federal and Navy have. He says they would be doing stuff like hose support, replenishing equipping being used, runners, cooling compartments, etc. The FFD and shipboard fire teams would be the ones at the front.

I’m doing my once monthly flight and on a layover in Minneapolis (maintenance ferry for C check) or I’d ask him what he’s heard about this.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Here's what's going to happen if the cause of the fire can't be immediately determined:

The crew on duty is going to undergo a criminal investigation, with most of the emphasis placed on the SDO/CDO (whatever you call the OIC). This will include polygraphs.

Every watchstanding infraction is going to be scrutinized as if that could have single handedly prevented the blaze.

The shipyard workers are union and will be protected from any questioning unless there's probable cause.
You forgot that the Captain will be relieved prior to the investigation being completed. Probably momentarily.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whether she burns to the water line or not (I think probably not) the destruction of super expensive systems and electronics may make it impractical to repair .

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Whether she burns to the water line or not (I think probably not) the destruction of super expensive systems and electronics may make it impractical to repair .
In 2012, the USS Miami had a fire in the yards purposely set by a civilian shipyard worker. It was deemed uneconomical to repair and the sub was decommissioned.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
No, he can survive if they find that the cause wasn't from ship's force before the investigation concludes.

The Miami CO went on to major command.

I was posting about Miami as you posted.

What you say is true but I don’t see that as the norm. The Navy likes to shoot COs and ask questions later.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I was posting about Miami as you posted.

What you say is true but I don’t see that as the norm. The Navy likes to shoot COs and ask questions later.
These things still take time.

The CO was in the hot seat. The investigation was going down the path of watchstanders shooting the shit topside, supervisors violated the 'interlocks' while eating dinner -> poor command standards -> axe.

But good ole Casey Fury decided to try to light the ship on fire a second time. That time he was caught, which allowed the investigators to polygraph him. He confessed, which included timing his arson when minimal people would be around.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
A shipyard environment is a bad place to have a fire, often firefighting systems are being worked on, temp firefighting systems are so so at best, hoses are strung everywhere so trying to shut any doors that could contain the fire is not easy, and on a Sunday so even fewer personnel to try and get that done and fight the fire.

Doesn't look like she's in a shipyard. This leads me to believe that she's in a Continuous Maintenance Availability (CMAV) which is designed to be performed on a completely operationally ready ship in order to conduct small repairs and refits. This jives with the fact that she's supposedly fully fueled. Before any other maintenance availability, she'd have been completely defueled and unloaded of all ammunition. This means that she may have limited firefighting systems online and have very little impact to spaces that aren't being worked on.

A drydock (DPMA) or SECNAV Restricted Availability (SRA, often conducted pierside) are for conducting serious overhaul of the ship and will make the ship completely non-operationally ready and unable to go to sea. The CMAV should not technically impact seaworthiness or ability to go to sea IAW SURFOR regs.

The CDO and EDO are going to get raked over the coals for this. My guess is that hot work (welding, grinding, etc.) was being performed and the contractors cut corners or didn't follow procedure properly. We'll likely see a full post-mortem in the EDO community in a few months to capture lessons learned and prevent future issues.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
My buddy is BHR ship’s company and he was onboard when the fire started. I don’t have any details other than he says they have been fighting the fire all day with support from medical and he’s on his way to Balboa for evaluation. Prayers for him, the crew, and the responders!

exNavyOffRec

Doesn't look like she's in a shipyard. This leads me to believe that she's in a Continuous Maintenance Availability (CMAV) which is designed to be performed on a completely operationally ready ship in order to conduct small repairs and refits. This jives with the fact that she's supposedly fully fueled. Before any other maintenance availability, she'd have been completely defueled and unloaded of all ammunition. This means that she may have limited firefighting systems online and have very little impact to spaces that aren't being worked on.

A drydock (DPMA) or SECNAV Restricted Availability (SRA, often conducted pierside) are for conducting serious overhaul of the ship and will make the ship completely non-operationally ready and unable to go to sea. The CMAV should not technically impact seaworthiness or ability to go to sea IAW SURFOR regs.

The CDO and EDO are going to get raked over the coals for this. My guess is that hot work (welding, grinding, etc.) was being performed and the contractors cut corners or didn't follow procedure properly. We'll likely see a full post-mortem in the EDO community in a few months to capture lessons learned and prevent future issues.

The just gave a brief and they said she has about 1 million gallons on JP5 but it is away from the fire, the fire started in the "deep V' but not sure what that is since I am a CVN guy.

Might be a bit different as I have only been on CVN's but some of our yard periods were not really in the yards, we did have fuel but no ammunition so it sounds like a similar status as they are but we could no way get underway if we needed to without weeks of putting items back together.