• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bob Hoover Video

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nice vid. I remember watching Hoover do his thing at the Pax river airshows when I was a kid .

spitfiremkxiv

Pepe's sandwich
Contributor
Yeah I remember seeing that as a kid. I don't know which was more amazing...the deadstick routine itself, or the fact that he did it in an Aero Commander!

mules83

getting salty...
pilot
"well, how do you recover from a stall with no engine".....thats what a girl (with a commerical license) asked me when i took her on a glider ride

video reminded me of it

nugget81

pilot
Simply awesome. I'd heard about Hoover before but hadn't seen the video. Wow...........

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
mules83 said:
"well, how do you recover from a stall with no engine".....thats what a girl (with a commerical license) asked me when i took her on a glider ride
That's because most instructors don't teach the fact that you don't NEED an operating engine to recover from a stall. Students are programmed to just shove that throttle forward in order to recover, minus the power on stalls that is...because, well, the airplane already has power. I've flown with a sh!tload of instructors and have had exactly one that made me do stall recoveries with the engine at idle.

BTW...Bob Hoover is the shiznit!

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
That was some crazy stuff. I could only hope to one day have chops like his. Think if that's what Top Gun was based on...

"You were in a rollover in a comercial plane while doing aerobatics with engines off?"
"Yes"
"Well, if you were flying, how did you get a drink?"
"We were... inverted."
"What were you doing there?"
"Pouring iced tea..."

MarineAir

Future Naval Aviator
Saw him at an airshow a few yrs back and thought he was absolutely crazy(in a good way), especially when he did a touch and go with one wheel (don't know how he did it)down and one engine off. I like the trick with the iced tea:thumbup_1

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
spitfiremkxiv said:
Yeah I remember seeing that as a kid. I don't know which was more amazing...the deadstick routine itself, or the fact that he did it in an Aero Commander!
Yeah, don't try this with your tactical jet.

Brett

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Wow! That was pretty damn cool. Looks like fun to.
BTW, does pouring iced tea like that make it taste any better? My vote would be "yes."

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
ghost119 said:
I think he meant that you would glide too well in them. What is the optimum glide speed for F-18 and EA-6B?

Most Naval Aircraft do not use an optimum glidespeed, but use an optimum AOA instead. An optimum glidespeed is variable based on weight, but AOA is AOA and the airframe only has 1 optimum AOA.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
Most Naval Aircraft do not use an optimum glidespeed, but use an optimum AOA instead. An optimum glidespeed is variable based on weight, but AOA is AOA and the airframe only has 1 optimum AOA.
What he said. 10 units for the Prowler.

Brett

nugget81 said:
Simply awesome. I'd heard about Hoover before but hadn't seen the video. Wow...........

Bob Hoover was a WWII fighter pilot, he was also Chuck Yeagers good friend and back up pilot for the X-1, first plane to fly faster than sound.