• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blackhawk crash on USNS ship

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
160th SOAR Haiti-bound, behold the power of a RFF

USSAmericaHaiti.jpg

This is such an awesome sight. I think so much of the world associates the Navy and, in particular, the Carrier, with the projection of power as evidenced by a flight deck full of jets. I think this picture speaks volumes to the fact that the ship is really sovereign real estate that the US can park anywhere in the world, and any myriad of offensives can be launched from it. The platform launching the offensives is really only particular to the conflict in question.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is such an awesome sight. I think so much of the world associates the Navy and, in particular, the Carrier, with the projection of power as evidenced by a flight deck full of jets. I think this picture speaks volumes to the fact that the ship is really sovereign real estate that the US can park anywhere in the world, and any myriad of offensives can be launched from it. The platform launching the offensives is really only particular to the conflict in question.

Only image of USS Kitty Hawk and its Task Force during OEF that I've found in unclass venue (left it in larger size so helos can be discerned on flight deck):

KH%20in%20OEF.jpg

RELEASE NUMBER: 090227-01
DATE POSTED: FEBRUARY 27, 2009

Night Stalkers re-visit USS Kitty Hawk
By Kimberly Tiscione
160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment Public Affairs

On Jan. 29, Soldiers from the unit’s 4th Bn. at Fort Lewis, Wash., boarded the Navy vessel in Bremerton, Wash., before another quickly approaching date in the ship’s history. America’s oldest active warship is scheduled to be decommissioned from Navy service this spring.

When Night Stalker 1st Sgt. Paul Hutchings learned the USS Kitty Hawk was in port so close to Fort Lewis, he immediately began taking steps to plan a visit for his Soldiers.
Of the 38 who attended, only four were part of that initial push supporting the War on Terror.

“With the relationship that this Regiment has with that ship I couldn't let it go without saying goodbye,” he said. “I thought that this would make an excellent non-commissioned officer professional development opportunity to re-cage our younger non-commissioned officers as to what Night Stalkers had done in the not to distant past.”

It was also an opportunity to show the Soldiers some of the challenges of working off an aircraft carrier, a task that the 160th must always be prepared to implement.

Immediately following the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on America, a contingent of Night Stalkers and their unique special operations helicopters were among the first American troops and equipment headed to the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility.

Aviators and crews went on to conduct numerous strategic missions in Afghanistan supporting special operations ground forces in those next few weeks. Though the mission is still classified, the 160th SOAR(A) executed the longest helicopter air assault in history during this initial deployment from the deck of the USS Kitty Hawk. The mission was an outstanding success, requiring the crews to conduct a 1,300-mile assault while enduring an astounding 15 continuous flight hours.

1st Sgt. Timothy Overbey remembers this mission well because he was among the team of Warriors that had become part of history.

“After so many years of just training, we were finally getting to put it to use,” he said. That included joint training preparing both the Army and Navy for working together in an operational environment.

Overbey also had memories of living aboard the USS Kittyhawk. It was quite a different scene from often sparse living conditions on land at that time.

“The close sleeping arrangements was something that I don’t think anyone gets accustomed to,” he reflected.

But that was tolerable when you considered that “we could take showers whenever we wanted, the food was always hot and we really didn’t have to deal with bugs that are normally associated with being on land.”

Hutchings worked for more months collecting historical unit documents to put together a truly educational trip for his Soldiers. He said it is important for Night Stalkers tounderstand thatthe 160th has been making history since it's inception over 25 years ago.

“I understood a little of what happened on the ship from 1st Sgt. Hutchings brief,” said Staff Sgt. Louis Horvath. “But actually going on the ship and seeing the challenges they had put everything in perspective.”

It was also important for Hutchings Soldiers to learn about how the unit works with other services like the Navy to accomplish the unique missions Night Stalkers are entrusted to accomplish.

“I had never heard anything specific about the mission but didn’t realize how closely we worked with the Navy and are still doing so today,” said Sgt. Rodney Hardy.

Spec. Cameron Vaughn echoed those sentiments. “I learned that our work with the Navy then and the fact we still work with them today shows we can’t do it alone and it’s a team effort.”

These are exactly the thoughts Hutchings wanted his men to realize and appreciate.

“We live in the shadows of great men and deeds and if we forget where we've been, we'll lose sight of where we’re going,” he explained. “We need to remember our accomplishments, both good and bad, capitalize off our achievements and learn from our mistakes in order to be successful in future operations.”

Hutchings said this visit was an especially important reminder to the Night Stalkers that have been part of continuous combat rotations for seven years now. “Despite all of the great and wondrous things that are being done today, they left their mark on the Regiment's history,” Hutchings said.

He also wanted the new generation of Night Stalkers to understand that their unit was called upon at the beginning of the War on Terror. “It hasn't always been endless rotations for this unit,” Hutchings said. “Before the dust had settled from the World Trade Center and the Pentagon there were Night Stalkers deployed in harms way.”

Today, the Night Stalkers remain actively engaged in combat operations at multiple locations supporting both Operations Enduring Freedom-Afghanistan and Operation Iraqi Freedom.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
021105-N-1810F-010.jpg

An MH-47 Chinook helicopter from the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (Airborne) approaches the flight deck of the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk in the U.S. Pacific Command area of operations. Army special operations aircraft landed aboard Kitty Hawk as part of approach training and carrier qualification exercises with the Navy. (Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Todd Frantom)

bobbybrock

None
How long have Army guys been flying off USNS ships? Is this a case of "it's so easy, the Navy can do it?" Is their training on par with that of USN rotorheads?
Well as a former active Army SP I'd say yes and no as far as the training. The missions are totally different. The Army does a poor job of mission training at the RAG/FRS level. Guys come out of the flight training trained to fly the aircraft but aren't mission trained. Mission training happens at the unit level. Missions very so much for Blackhawk guys, that they can't train on all mission task.
While on active duty I never did a hoist. In the guard that is all we do.
When I was active duty in Hawaii we went out to the boat once a month. A small fraction of the unit stayed current. As most of you guys know currency and proficiency are two different things. We also had 10 more feet of tail wheel to deal with. We could do it, but I wouldn't say as good as the Navy guys who trained us. That is what they do. Most Army guys ( minus 160th) don't ever get the chance to get qualed.
On the other hand we do the NVG thing very well. I just got back from OEF and we had no H-60 mishaps( 5000 hrs in 10 months) over a class C. That is flying in some pretty ugly conditions mostly under NVG's in low illum. I'm not saying the Navy guys aren't capable of this. But they probably wouldn't be as comfortable as most Army guys. Again, different missions.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
That is flying in some pretty ugly conditions mostly under NVG's in low illum. I'm not saying the Navy guys aren't capable of this. But they probably wouldn't be as comfortable as most Army guys. Again, different missions.

Concur with all this. I'm currently at the Helo wing aboard Norfolk awaiting a broken leg fix.

As I was recently shown to me aboard my carrier, however: Navy helos don't fly at night without goggles anymore. Even VERTREP, which to me is SHOCKING...but I digress.

Good info. And the Army squadron in question is based nearby and does plenty of ship ops. Prayers to their lost soldier and his family.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As I was recently shown to me aboard my carrier, however: Navy helos don't fly at night without goggles anymore.

Not true. There are still some dinosaurs out there that have decided to maintain unaided currency. Surprisingly, there are still a good number of COs out there that aren't that NVG savvy.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Not true. There are still some dinosaurs out there that have decided to maintain unaided currency. Surprisingly, there are still a good number of COs out there that aren't that NVG savvy.

I was told by the OIC of the det aboard that there "is no longer unaided currency." ... Is it a community thing then?

bobbybrock

None
This is a bit of a thread jack. I always thought it would be a great idea to have some Navy helo bubbas fly with regular Army units. I know the 160th does an exchange with the Marines and Air Force. The Navy is already doing the Dustoff mission and from what I've heard doing it very well.
I think a lot of guys and gals would rather be in the cockpit than on an IA tour. I think both sides would benefit from this.

Clux4

Banned
This is a bit of a thread jack. I always thought it would be a great idea to have some Navy helo bubbas fly with regular Army units. I know the 160th does an exchange with the Marines and Air Force. The Navy is already doing the Dustoff mission and from what I've heard doing it very well.
I think a lot of guys and gals would rather be in the cockpit than on an IA tour. I think both sides would benefit from this.

So, who is going to fill those IA tours?

Pags

N/A
pilot
I was told by the OIC of the det aboard that there "is no longer unaided currency." ... Is it a community thing then?

It's a Superhawk (common NATOPS) thing. There is also no longer an aided currency. There is now just a night currency obtained with whatever combination of aided/unaided you desire (SOP dependent).

That being said, it's the 21st century and technology has given NVDs. It's stupid that it's taken us this long to fly with goggles as much as practical.

NVD VERTREP is nice. I've never done it operationally, but it's a whole lot more comfortable than night vertrep.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is a bit of a thread jack. I always thought it would be a great idea to have some Navy helo bubbas fly with regular Army units.

I think it would be an eye opener for both sides, and therefore educational. As such, the idea shall not be considered. Good day, sir.

It's a Superhawk (common NATOPS) thing....

I've really been meaning to crack that thing open...

New thing I'm not a fan of: starting up w/ no HYD PUMP on.