• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blackhawk crash on USNS ship

I think it would be an eye opener for both sides, and therefore educational. As such, the idea shall not be considered. Good day, sir.

I've really been meaning to crack that thing open...

New thing I'm not a fan of: starting up w/ no HYD PUMP on.
Was that not a -B procedure? Cause we sure as shit never started up that way.

I don't mind it too much. After 1 or 2 turns the pumps start giving enough pressure so the controls don't feel too stiff.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, I don't mind the no-hyd-pump shore starts at all... One thing that helps minimize the "stirring" of the cyclic is to put it into the wind before you secure the pump, but by the time you're around 20% Nr the hyds are pumping enough to give you enough authority to stop the stirring anyway.

squorch2

pilot
This is a bit of a thread jack. I always thought it would be a great idea to have some Navy helo bubbas fly with regular Army units.
When we worked with JTF-B down south it was near impossible to even get some fam time up front... the forms just aren't in place for it, I suppose.

Pags

N/A
pilot

I don't mind it too much. After 1 or 2 turns the pumps start giving enough pressure so the controls don't feel too stiff.

My understanding is that it was put in place to prevent fatigue to the shuttle valves when they were cycling back and forth between B/U and Main HYD sources. If it's worth anything, that's the way the Army and Sikorsky does it.

Yeah, I don't mind the no-hyd-pump shore starts at all... One thing that helps minimize the "stirring" of the cyclic is to put it into the wind before you secure the pump, but by the time you're around 20% Nr the hyds are pumping enough to give you enough authority to stop the stirring anyway.

If you hold down the trim switches (all of em) it also stops the cyclic from stirring.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Yes, it was the way we did it. I did it for the first time yesterday and it took more than 2 turns for the pumps to get online. Uncomfortable to have the stick move completely through it's motions when you haven't seen it that way before.

My understanding is that it was put in place to prevent fatigue to the shuttle valves when they were cycling back and forth between B/U and Main HYD sources. If it's worth anything, that's the way the Army and Sikorsky does it.

Exactly what I heard, as well. I also heard the HS guys were shitting pumps for a while, but I'm not sure if that's an urban legend. IF that were happening, it seems like they would have fixed the problem since the Bravo didn't have that issue.

If you hold down the trim switches (all of em) it also stops the cyclic from stirring.

Hadn't heard that, though I'm not quite sure why it would be true (not that it isn't). Mag locks or not, it would seem to me that the controls are just to heavy and the trim wouldn't prevent the stirring as the head goes around. I'll have to give it a shot.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Exactly what I heard, as well. I also heard the HS guys were shitting pumps for a while, but I'm not sure if that's an urban legend. IF that were happening, it seems like they would have fixed the problem since the Bravo didn't have that issue.

We would get the shuttle valve banging back and forth during the hydraulic crossover. Would sometimes also result in stirring controls.

Hadn't heard that, though I'm not quite sure why it would be true (not that it isn't). Mag locks or not, it would seem to me that the controls are just to heavy and the trim wouldn't prevent the stirring as the head goes around. I'll have to give it a shot.
I figure it has something to do with the PAS. But that's just a thought. I do know it works in both Sierras and Romeos.

squorch2

pilot
That shuttle valve crossover was weird at times - not to mention 2Ps would sometimes ask "is that a compressor stall?" And they're not entirely different sounding...

Other trim-related goodness: by holding in all trim switches and leading with a little left pedal, you can eliminate the jump in the hyd leak test.

bobbybrock

None
When we worked with JTF-B down south it was near impossible to even get some fam time up front... the forms just aren't in place for it, I suppose.

The Army is weird about it. When I was in Hawaii we had a weird agreement w/ the Navy. When we went out to get deck qualed we flew our aircraft. We had a Navy HAC up front who would assume PIC duties when we went feet wet. When over land the Army guy was PIC. It had to be approved at USARPAC.
When I was in Sarajevo back in the day we got to fly with the Brits in their Lynx's. We then tried to get them up front in the 60. It never happened due to their Army pilots mostly being NCO's. It didn't happen for the two 0-3's they had either. It had to go some crazy G.O. level and got nixed early.
The Army medevac community are the most deployed units right now.
While we were in Afghanistan the Air Force CSAR guys got involved with the medevac mission but didn't really make a dent with us up north.

busdriver

None
As far as I know, the Army/AF exchange died with the 55 SOS. Marine exchange still going strong, in the process of switching from the Huey guys to the Hawk guys.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That shuttle valve crossover was weird at times - not to mention 2Ps would sometimes ask "is that a compressor stall?" And they're not entirely different sounding...

Weirder than a Rotor Brake start, but not as weird as the no pump start, at least for me. It's a change, and I'll adjust to the change, but the no pump start (the whopping one I've done) moved the controls MUCH more than any shuttle valve swap I've had.

Other trim-related goodness: by holding in all trim switches and leading with a little left pedal, you can eliminate the jump in the hyd leak test.

The left pedal was always part of the procedure for us.

bobbybrock

None
As far as I know, the Army/AF exchange died with the 55 SOS. Marine exchange still going strong, in the process of switching from the Huey guys to the Hawk guys.
With the Air Force getting more involved with the Med mission I think it would be a good thing. The Navy bubbas who fly medevac out of Kuwait got through the full 2CF7 course to become familiar with the Army med system. There is a lot involved on the non-flying side that makes the mission pretty complex.

BigRed389

None
Thanks to both of you. I'm not trying to suggest anything, just throwing ideas out there. I had never heard of Army guys operating off our ships.

Ask your CO/XO what James E Williams and Howard did last deployment...