• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Ocean and little ships make finding "Mother" difficult sometimes

MasterBates

Yeah, those shenanigans were on the 04 JFK cruise. I only made 60%ish of the cruise, so it may have gotten better in the Sept-Nov timeframe.

I was next door on CG-69 aka "The Love Boat" (and no, that's not why I was COD'd off early)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...I was next door on CG-69 aka "The Love Boat" (and no, that's not why I was COD'd off early)

And that's when the filthy whores come in. Shakin' their little behinds at the menfolk. $100 for mess dues? I don't think so...maybe I'll spend it on trick money instead...

Best cruise shenanigans EVAR. :D

MH-Z

pilot
Do you realize how long they have been talking about getting rid of VOR and TACAN stations? I'm sure the time is nearing, but I don't see it happening that quickly. We still have NDB's scattered around the PNW and AK, and that has been an obsolete system (aside from their use in parallel with ILS) for longer than I have been alive, short of maybe island use.

It's going to happen. Last year our skipper tasked a few of the new IP's to find all the VORTACs that we use to justify their continued service (tasking came from above). What we heard was that the FAA wasn't going to maintain them as they failed.

At sea, TACAN is great when you are only concerned with finding your ship. Then, as many HSL dets can attest to, there comes a time when you have to MEDEVAC someone or divert (wx, gas, EP, etc.) into a country where the only TACAN in the country is your ship. Plenty of VOR or GPS nav routes/approaches, and doesn't matter how good your EGI's are or how many satellites in state 5 you have, you can't legally or reliably fly those routes/approaches or you can't tune up the xmiters. Pretty ridiculous. Because the mantra of so many is "you're never going to do that" we can't do it because "they" won't let us, the prophecy is self fulfilling. (The other mantra that is closely related is "that's the way we've always done it.")

JPALS cometh (w/DGPS) and Link 16 provideth alternatives to TACAN, but the E-2 is usually there to help lost souls.

There's no E2 for HSL/HSM Expeditionary squadrons... we depend on the FFG. Awesome. :icon_tong

L16 is really powerful, but it doesn't help if we still can't break out or if we are flying at home and the wx goes to crap. The number of airfields that do PAR's is decreasing. Only the 60S has ILS in the Navy helo world. Who would have guessed that the most robust navigation suite was in the TH-57C?

EDIT: For those that haven't gone through HT's, TH-57C = TCN, VOR, GPS, ILS, LOC, and NDB.

But not for everyone (Link 16 nor E-2). But wait, you say, the Romeo has Link 16 (I think)! Sadly there will still be plenty of legacy birds flying around that have nothing but Tacan and an internal nav system.

And why do we need to wait for JPALS when there is viable commercial off the shelf technology now? Did you know there is a beyond-line-of-site communication text messaging delivery system? SMS text! :D Wait, OPNAV says thou shalt not use mobile phones in A/C. How many of you are guilty? :confused:

You want in flight weather radar? Many of you have one... iPhone (there's an app for that). Or there is a Garmin with moving map, NEXRAD, and VFR charts.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
Meat's failsafe method of finding a carrier.

1. Turn on radar.
2. Look for biggest storm/rain shower.
3. Carrier will be directly under it.

Why do shoes always steer for the worst weather in the area when aircraft are airborne?

In addition:

4. You've got a 50/50 chance of guessing the ships BRC in that shower by picking a direction 90 off the current winds.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I didn't know that the 60S was the only helo with ILS...what a shame. ILS time up front is nappy time in the back :D

phrogpilot73

How about SIPR email, or the CAS website, or mIRC? Most airwings post that stuff to their CAS sites. Lots of ways to get that info without waiting for it to be "pushed" to you.
If I had $0.05 for every time I heard that. Hmm, SIPR email - gotta have someone's email address, mIRC - gotta know the channel they're on, CAS websites? Have to have a semi-reliable internet connection for that. I've experienced what MasterBates has experienced more than once in my career.

And it's not a lack of trying to get the info.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I had $0.05 for every time I heard that. Hmm, SIPR email - gotta have someone's email address, mIRC - gotta know the channel they're on, CAS websites? Have to have a semi-reliable internet connection for that. I've experienced what MasterBates has experienced more than once in my career.

And it's not a lack of trying to get the info.

Dude, it's not that hard. Everything on the CVN/CVW is done via SIPR and (increasingly) mIRC and I know all the small boys have that stuff, so no excuses. ;) If my nugget JG can figure it out, then anyone can.

Brett

MasterBates

Brett,

Deal with the connectivity issues of being on a small boy, and not being able to walk to CVIC and ask "hey what dude does this function" and get back to me about it.

It's not for lack of trying that we didn't get info.

Most of the guys in the CVW could give 2 shits less about the HSL and HC guys in the screen, HS included.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,

Deal with the connectivity issues of being on a small boy, and not being able to walk to CVIC and ask "hey what dude does this function" and get back to me about it.

It's not for lack of trying that we didn't get info.

Most of the guys in the CVW could give 2 shits less about the HSL and HC guys in the screen, HS included.

How in the world do you get the freq for BTN 1 when you have to go land on the CVN? :rolleyes: I know you LAMPS guys have that freq because I hear you on it all the time. The CVN has the same connectivity issues everyone else does. We're all using the same satellite. I used to mIRC with various guys on our shotgun all the time. If you can't mIRC with someone on the CVN, or figure out the email address of anyone in the HS squadron, then you fail at being in the Navy. :rolleyes: End of story.

Brett

MH-Z

pilot
How in the world do you get the freq for BTN 1 when you have to go land on the CVN? :rolleyes: I know you LAMPS guys have that freq because I hear you on it all the time. The CVN has the same connectivity issues everyone else does. We're all using the same satellite. I used to mIRC with various guys on our shotgun all the time. If you can't mIRC with someone on the CVN, or figure out the email address of anyone in the HS squadron, then you fail at being in the Navy. :rolleyes: End of story.

Brett

Hopefully we have a really good relationship with the helo CAG rep and they can point us in the right direction if we're not getting what we need. LAMPS-to-sea (aka deploy the HSL squadron with the CSG) should help with that as the guys on the CVN should help their compadres on the small boys.

MasterBates

Usually the button 1 shenanigans are when the CG decided that the small boy L/L needed to be the same as the CV for "traffic deconfliction".

And Brett, you hit part of it on the nose. When the sat is down/SHF is out, whatever, you can WALK and find the person with the info you need on the CV. I suck at swimming, and I hate sea snakes, so I wasn't about to try.

It's not my problem anymore, but even with the JFK's shitty com situation, it was far superior to what we had next door, day in and day out.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
At sea, TACAN is great when you are only concerned with finding your ship. Then, as many HSL dets can attest to, there comes a time when you have to MEDEVAC someone or divert (wx, gas, EP, etc.) into a country where the only TACAN in the country is your ship. Plenty of VOR or GPS nav routes/approaches, and doesn't matter how good your EGI's are or how many satellites in state 5 you have, you can't legally or reliably fly those routes/approaches or you can't tune up the xmiters. Pretty ridiculous. Because the mantra of so many is "you're never going to do that" we can't do it because "they" won't let us, the prophecy is self fulfilling. (The other mantra that is closely related is "that's the way we've always done it.")

If I am catching your drift, then I agree that big Nav needs to quickly get up to speed with GPS integration. It is absurd that we can't "legally" use the fully functional GPS/INS suite for primary nav in a $20+ million training jet, yet every joe in a C182 with a civilian market glass cockpit can shoot GPS down to mins all day long. Pretty bad when you look in AOPA mags and think "damn I wish we had something that nice"....

MH-Z

pilot
If I am catching your drift, then I agree that big Nav needs to quickly get up to speed with GPS integration. It is absurd that we can't "legally" use the fully functional GPS/INS suite for primary nav in a $20+ million training jet, yet every joe in a C182 with a civilian market glass cockpit can shoot GPS down to mins all day long. Pretty bad when you look in AOPA mags and think "damn I wish we had something that nice"....

Exactly!

Sorry, late nights and a few beers don't exactly lead to lucid prose.