• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
hey hey! dont insult females- females can do more than 15 pushups at a time! ;):D

You post a lot for someone in HS....you remind me of someone else who used to post all the time who had NO experience and didn't know sh!t...hmm.... :D

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
You post a lot for someone in HS....you remind me of someone else who used to post all the time who had NO experience and didn't know sh!t...hmm.... :D

well i know one thing- i can do 45 pushups in 2mins :D

yeah- i went back and read the posts around joboy666 and joboy-2.0. funny stuff! ;) :D i think i like you better back then, you were pretty feisty! :p

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
well i know one thing- i can do 45 pushups in 2mins :D

yeah- i went back and read the posts around joboy666 and joboy-2.0. funny stuff! ;) :D i think i like you better back then, you were pretty feisty! :p

AFAIK, Joboy666 was deleted (since I was the one who requested webmaster delete my account) so the associated posts should be nonexistant (except, of course, for people quoting the posts).

Ya, I was the king of foot-in-mouth disease.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
AFAIK, Joboy666 was deleted (since I was the one who requested webmaster delete my account) so the associated posts should be nonexistant (except, of course, for people quoting the posts).

Ya, I was the king of foot-in-mouth disease.

ya, i meant "around", meaning ppl talking about joboy... sry, should have been more clear :D

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
btw akdorsey, i hope you don't think i am making fun of your pushups, i was just joking around about your joke about being half female. ;)

actually, i'm quite sympathetic to your pushup situation. although i can do some pushups, i can't do a single pullup, and i'm going to be starting at a college where i have to do 5 minimum to pass, so i have no idea where i'm going to pull that from! :( i've been told that doing more pushups leads to doing more pullups. so when i could only do 20 pushups, i could do zero pullups. now that i can do 45 pushups, i can still do zero pullups! so much for that saying. :icon_rage

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Alright well the push ups have maxed out over the past few weeks. Could body weight be from me doing more? I'm 5'8 at 145. I'm not sure what normal weight is either but I have a little muscle but I can't do more than 10-15 push ups before falling to the deck.
You'll be fine. There was a time in my life when I could only do 10 push ups. I have my PRT probably this week and I'll do fine. Some of us just suck a lot, so we have to work harder to be slightly less sucky than we were.

Best advice I've heard is to just crank out pushups all day. Do them every hour all day. Take a day off. Hit it again. Eat more protein. If you only get out a few push ups, hit the gym and bench to build those muscles.

Worked for me.

skillz

Go to the mirror and stare at yourself dead in the eyes while listening to "eye of the tiger"....after your motivated, drop and crank em' out until your arms feel like a limp noodle...do this every other day for a couple weeks and you WILL improve :icon_mi_1

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
akdorsey - watch your wording, it can come off wrong to people like...
DSL1990 - dont be so quick to take things to heart. If you take every slang comment as a slam on females, you are going to be miserable.

Anyway...I agree with most of the people on this forum - the only only way to get better at something is by doing it. If you are bad at running, get off the frickin elliptical and get on the treadmill. If you are bad at push ups, do push ups. A lot. Seriously, get out of bed, knock out a set. Make yourself knock out a set before you put anything in your mouth (i.e. before a snack or a meal).

That being said, the one exercise that I have found that really does help are dips. They are good too because if you cant do many, you can use one of those resistance machines in order to knock out more reps. Someone told me at the academy that if you can do three sets of 15 dips, you will have no problem maxing the pushups every time. Its true.

Another idea: every time you do push ups, do 50. If you collapse after 15, go to your knees and keep pushing til you get to 50. Try to do one more regular one each day. In a month, you will be golden.

Last idea is to do negatives. Once you hit complete muscle failure on the push up, go back to the front leaning rest position, and lower yourself as slowly as you possibly can to the ground. Once you hit the ground, put your knees down and get back in the front leaning rest and do it again, trying to go even slower.

Your height-weight is good - you sound a little skinny but that just means your run time will be better than most of the guys that will knock out the max number of push ups in the first 30 seconds. Relax and dont get discouraged. Just keep pushin. You can do it, everyone started where you are.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Some of you need to grow a pair and learn to work-out (you girls too...I'm referring to the guys here). How hard is it to do push-ups or pull-ups? Lift some weights, run, perform push-ups and when not enough, do them over until it is enough. If going into the military there is no excuse for you young ones not to be able to max push-ups or sit-ups. You're young and believe me, if it's hard now then wait until you're older like the Bunk. I still max push-ups (around 75 in two minutes) and everyone hurts like a muther!! Okay, done ranting, I'm going to go eat a doughnut and do a push-up.

Pags

N/A
pilot
The key to doing more pushups is, gasp, to do more pushups!

Do a set to failure. Take a break. Do another set to failure. Repeat until tired/bored.

This also works really well with pullups, situps, dips, etc.

utak

I found this the quickest way to go max pushups in the least amount of time possible. This is an extremely simple workout with no gimmicks or frills.
It is important to really put out because with this type of workout, you only get out what you put in. Here it is:

Ok, say your max is 80. Now pick a number that is about 4 times that. Lets use 300. If you want to do more, you can use 350 or 400, but for this example we'll use 300.

On your first set, do max pushups in 2 min. Make sure you do them the entire time. If you get to failure, do them on you knees for the rest of the 2 min.

Lets say you did 80. (the knee ones don't count!) Now you have to do 220 in as few sets as possible. Rest about 30s to 1 min between sets, or just long enough so you're able to get half your max on the next set. (about 40)

Make sure you go hard for each set! Don't limit yourself to half your max. Your goal is to do the remaining reps with as little rest as possible. After my last set, I'll usually max out doing knee pushups just to finish 'em off.

Like I said, this workout is very simple, but if you put out, you will get results. This program worked for me, but I'm sure there are plenty out there that work just as well. Just push yourself as hard as you can and you will see results. Have fun.

Nowadays that I'm in Primary, I keep things even simpler. A set of 50 pushups, followed immediately by 50 situps. Repeat 10 times. 500 pushups/500 situp workout, no thrills, no frills.

sdrum2

I'm a big kid now
When I started college I could barely do 10 push ups. Now I can do 61 in a minute. What got me past my first goal of getting to 42 push ups in a minute was the sheer number that I did. I would max out several times a day. But 42 was as high as I could go. That's when I realized that I was doing push ups all wrong. Good form but all wrong. The key to getting a high number of push ups is speed. When you go down just drop. Let gravity take over. It is less work on you and you can save a couple of seconds. Also, this is going to sound really, really gay so bear with me, but I greatly increased my speed by doing air push ups. Stand up and move your arms like you're doing a push up. I used to do sets of 100 every day and it got me comfortable with the pace so when I did push ups I knew about how fast I should be going. Get your speed up, let gravity do half the work, and do a shit-ton of push ups.