• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best way to build up push ups

PigzFly

Push ups and bench press are two different work outs. While yes the bench press will increase strength it wont increase push ups alone. It is a great idea to do a combination of bench press and push ups, but you wont increase your push up ability without pushing deck.

When designing a squat routine the best thing to do is calculate a max, whether a one rep max (1RM) or a set max (calculated from weight and max reps) Charts can be found online to calculate this and according workout weights. The 1rm is the best to use because it is the most accurate, but may not be the optimal choice for an inexperienced weight lifter. One you have your max, decide whether you want to do a high rep low weight workout, or a lower rep higher weight one. Again, the lower weight higher reps would be recommended for your experience level, but you will build strength and size much more quickly with with heavier weights. Typically a low weight workout is 50-60% of 1rm, with 3 to 5 sets of 10-12 reps. While a higher weight workout is usually 80% at 3 sets of 5 reps. Another recommendation is to start on a smith machine until you become acquainted with squatting and proper form. Most gyms (including school gyms) have smith machines. Also, if able to do so, use a bench under your ass. Squat just until you touch the bench, without resting your weight on it. This means that you are going low enough (full range of motion is important) while also providing safety underneath you in case you can not get back up. Also always use a spotter, especially as a new lifter, never lift alone. - You can supplement leg press for squat if you dont have a spotter or if you have back/hip/knee problems.

If you need any technique or form tips let me know, I can pass along some of the things I do.

Rocky3168

Push ups and bench press are two different work outs. While yes the bench press will increase strength it wont increase push ups alone. It is a great idea to do a combination of bench press and push ups, but you wont increase your push up ability without pushing deck.

Ive never done a pushup outside of the prt, but I lift 5 days a week. Ive Never failed to max out the pushup portion.

When designing a squat routine the best thing to do is calculate a max, whether a one rep max (1RM) or a set max (calculated from weight and max reps) Charts can be found online to calculate this and according workout weights. The 1rm is the best to use because it is the most accurate, but may not be the optimal choice for an inexperienced weight lifter. One you have your max, decide whether you want to do a high rep low weight workout, or a lower rep higher weight one. Again, the lower weight higher reps would be recommended for your experience level, but you will build strength and size much more quickly with with heavier weights. Typically a low weight workout is 50-60% of 1rm, with 3 to 5 sets of 10-12 reps. While a higher weight workout is usually 80% at 3 sets of 5 reps. Another recommendation is to start on a smith machine until you become acquainted with squatting and proper form. Most gyms (including school gyms) have smith machines. Also, if able to do so, use a bench under your ass. Squat just until you touch the bench, without resting your weight on it. This means that you are going low enough (full range of motion is important) while also providing safety underneath you in case you can not get back up. Also always use a spotter, especially as a new lifter, never lift alone. - You can supplement leg press for squat if you dont have a spotter or if you have back/hip/knee problems.

If you need any technique or form tips let me know, I can pass along some of the things I do.
I don't recommend trying a 1 rep max to an inexperienced lifter. Unless you have a spotter that you trust, do not try to find your 1 rep max.

MasterBates

Spotter? Meh.

If you can't do at least one rep at 70% your bodyweight without a spotter when you are in your 20s, you are either a girly man or Jabba, and therefore deserve the ridicule and possible elimination from the gene pool that comes with not being able to do one rep.

STA21pilot

When I do my pushups I keep my hands close. About shoulder width apart, then when i go down I keep my elbows by my side, instead of flaring them out away from my body. This focuses more on my tri's, which are stronger than my bi's. I've always been told it looks weird, but it's allowed and I can crank 'em out.

UCbearcat

Lawn Dart
pilot
When I do my pushups I keep my hands close. About shoulder width apart, then when i go down I keep my elbows by my side, instead of flaring them out away from my body. This focuses more on my tri's, which are stronger than my bi's. I've always been told it looks weird, but it's allowed and I can crank 'em out.

A lot of guys that are in my detachment do them like this. It doesn't work very well for me, so I just stick to the regular ones.

nugget81

pilot
mock3v3_09.jpg
???

:D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I cant believe I need to bring this guy out for motivation again.

this vid is of the guys that got the 300 Spartans in shape....

Insomneo

I wonder what would happen to me if I went into OCS looking like that. Minus the face paint and feathers of course.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a pro wrestling buff, those promos were exceptionally awful. I forgot just how bad he was on the mic.
Worth it to hear Chris Jericho mocking him years later though. Didn't he (Brian Hellwig that is) actually get his name legally changed to 'Warrior?'
Quote of the video though:
Edge said:
I think the tassels on his arms were cutting off the circulation to his head.
:icon_what

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
You need to make sure that your hands are placed directly beneath your shoulders. You might have your hands placed out too far.