• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BEST places to RETIRE-

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
Hey AirWarriors-

Yes, I'm already planning retirement and haven't been accepted into the program (OCS/DCO) (former active duty USMC/USN), yet. However, I know there are places like Norfolk and San Diego that are probably better retirement cities than Great Lakes (I lived in Great Lakes 6 years and loved it). I am hoping for something a little warmer near the ocean (possibly Atlantic, I'm an East Coast girl).

If you have any information on places that have these benefits, I would love to hear from you:

1) TRAIN
I love the train, but I don't want to live near it (choo choo choo choo choo choo choo choo ...). Need I say more? I lived next to the Metra in Highland Park, IL but, it's a commuter, no noise except a little ding ding in the background. That's acceptable "noise". Next train line over is the pounding of the railway and horn blowing that quite honestly, interrupts my sleep. I guess airports would fall under here too. I don't want to live next to a landing strip. Not too picky, huh!

2) BENEFITS
It would be nice to know about the Exchange(s) and Commissary (are they bigger than the local 7-11), is the VA nearby, MWR and USO services, Fitness Centers, theatres (on base), and access to other benefits I'm sure I'm can't think of at the moment.

3) WATER
Great Lakes has Lake Michigan, but I'm already thinking "ocean". The beach in Chicago is small, manmade, and gets overly crowded because, hey, it only gets 1 month of summer. I lived there, I can say that and it's true. We haven't had a real summer in 3 years. That beside the point,

4) WEATHER
I've decided 10 months of cool weather (under 70 degrees) could easily be exchanged for slightly warmer weather (not Nash-Vegas). I only lived in Norfolk while going to "A" school years ago (6 months). Not long enough to make an impression. I liked Virginia Beach. Also, I'm done with the snow. Grew up in Buffalo, yes I've had my share. I think Norfolk gets dusted now and then. Enlighten me.

5) CULTURE
By this I mean zoos, opera, art institutes or galleries, the symphony, botanical gardens, art festivals, etc. If you've experienced a city, maybe Pensacola, and are familiar with the city's festivities, cool info like that would be helpful.

Anyone near deciding "where" you want to retire?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Even though this question deserves a huge "cart before the horse" response, most people are going to have to work after retirement, so your retirement site will probably be driven largely on where that job is. Unless you're retiring as an O-6 after about 30 years of service, you don't get to just goof off for the rest of your life - at least not if you want to have anywhere near the standard of living that you're accustomed to.

Brett

red_ryder

None
This is a good question, I'm interested in hearing the more experienced voices on this, as well.

Edit: and please don't say Pensacola.

A question though, it almost looks like after you retire you want to live on a base? wtf for?

I'm putting in a nomination for Omaha, NE. Except for the beaches, it's got most of what you want. And the missouri river, which can be really nice.

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
I know I'll have to work after retirement from the military. I have worked outside the military (pharmaceuticals, telecommunications industry). I'd just like to be near the benefits I've earned. If you live outside the benefits, paying taxes on groceries and other items can be expensive. Believe it or not, there are states (like TN) that charge tax on groceries. There are probably a lot of people with broken service who might agree with me that living "near" a base is helpful when you're only collecting a portion of your paycheck. I think every little bit helps, especially today.

Cart before the horse? I do plan on making the military a career and am actually halfway there. It goes by quickly, so I'd just like to hear about other people's experiences on where they've lived. Outside of the "noise" issue, hoping some people can share what they've learned about bases that are more attractive to live near.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know I'll have to work after retirement from the military. I have worked outside the military (pharmaceuticals, telecommunications industry). I'd just like to be near the benefits I've earned. If you live outside the benefits, paying taxes on groceries and other items can be expensive. Believe it or not, there are states (like TN) that charge tax on groceries. There are probably a lot of people with broken service who might agree with me that living "near" a base is helpful when you're only collecting a portion of your paycheck. I think every little bit helps, especially today.

Cart before the horse? I do plan on making the military a career and am actually halfway there. It goes by quickly, so I'd just like to hear about other people's experiences on where they've lived. Outside of the "noise" issue, hoping some people can share what they've learned about bases that are more attractive to live near.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Personally, I don't shop at the NEX or Commissary, so that would be the last criterion I would consider when retiring. If you're doing the right amount and kind of retirement planning, you won't have to resort to pinching pennies.

Brett

ODSCandidate

OCSCandidate
FMRAM "Ever thought of leaving CONUS and retiring overseas?" Yes. Naples is great! And now that the base is freshened up, it's a possibility. Why, you thinking that too?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I was starting to get lost when you said you DON'T want to live next to an airstrip, and by the time you referenced Pensacola under the subheading "Culture," I was checking to make sure I had really drank only one beer this afternoon.

snake020

Contributor
Yes. Naples is great!

Pass to me whatever it is you are smoking. When I was there in '07 the garbage situation was out of hand and has gotten worse since, to the point of industrial grade waste being burned in residential areas. USAA also says its highest insurance premiums in the world are for Naples.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Pass to me whatever it is you are smoking. When I was there in '07 the garbage situation was out of hand and has gotten worse since, to the point of industrial grade waste being burned in residential areas. USAA also says its highest insurance premiums in the world are for Naples.

Yeah there are some absolutely amazing places to live in Italy. Why would you pick an industrialized Navy town? Break me off a piece of northern Italy and a mountain villa and I'll call it a day. Quick train ride to Rome, the adriatic and awesome summer vacations on the Croatian coastline.....yes please

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
I've only lived here two weeks, but Whidbey Island is definitely moving up in my retirement list. Currently tied with eastern Iowa and southern Kentucky...

Iowa is close to Chicago, has plenty of the Amtrak, isn't completely lost in the sticks, and is easy to buy guns, shoot, kill ducks in...plus land is pretty cheap there...

Still my leading candidate...

flamingo navy

Best retirement locales

As an aging retiree (retired 1990) I have a whole lot of experience. I originally retired to Bend Oregon. It is really a special place and all should consider a trip there. It is in central Oregon and a real find. Current real estate is still a bit pricey but amenities galore for all seasons for outdoor types. Does get cold in winter but some of best skiing in US great for families super school system.

After ten years and both kids in college (daughter Jen is pilot with HSC 26) we sought more warmth and moved to Florida. Atlantic side New Smyrna Beach totally different life but love it. If just you n the Misses then consider fla. I recommend avoiding South Fla n panhandle. Fla real estate still cheaper than a lot of places n of course military friendly. Good tax situation n tricare coverage.
I enjoyed both states for different reasons

I can also recommend the town of Sequin Washington. Lived there for a while. More for couples than family but a real retirement gem. A visit there is also a must. On top of Olympic Peninsula about two hours from Seattle n hour from Bremerton. Good luck to all. Retirement will quickly sneak up on you. We started active planning ten years into my career and I was able to fully retire. Mrs taught hs for a few years more. Oregon teacher pay is superb.

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
As an aging retiree (retired 1990) I have a whole lot of experience. I originally retired to Bend Oregon. It is really a special place and all should consider a trip there. It is in central Oregon and a real find. Current real estate is still a bit pricey but amenities galore for all seasons for outdoor types. Does get cold in winter but some of best skiing in US great for families super school system.

Mrs taught hs for a few years more. Oregon teacher pay is superb.

Shhh! Don't tell people about Oregon, ESPECIALLY Bend! Then more will move there, real estate will stay high, and I'll NEVER be able to go back! :eek: In reality, it is one of the nicest places in the country...if you haven't been there recently (5-8 years), you really should see the changes. I grew up about 3 hours south of Bend, then moved there after college for about 4 years...great place, with EVERYTHING a person could want close at hand.

Not sure I'd agree w/ the OR teacher pay thing though...lots of friends who teach, and my last g/f was a teacher...maybe compared to other states it's good, but it ain't much.

My choice for retirement (many years away), is either Bend, the town I grew up in (where I'd probably crop-dust a while), or Prescott, AZ. I could live in Prescott, teach, and hunt all I wanted. Hello dream life! :D

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
As a native Oregonian, I will say that there are more than enough Bend transplants from CA to make it uncomfortably yuppified. It is a nice place, but I would probably only go there to visit. I'd rather have a cabin @ Black Butte or somewhere in the valley on a river. I do love the PNW though, and intend to move back when I get out of the service.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I've only lived here two weeks, but Whidbey Island is definitely moving up in my retirement list. Currently tied with eastern Iowa and southern Kentucky...

Iowa is close to Chicago, has plenty of the Amtrak, isn't completely lost in the sticks, and is easy to buy guns, shoot, kill ducks in...plus land is pretty cheap there...

Still my leading candidate...
I'd be back in Whidbey if I could land a job there that would pay all the bills for the life style I'm accustom to. My wife has a bachelor’s degree in education and can't get a job teaching there without master’s degree, just doesn't seem right to me.