• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BEST places to RETIRE-

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
As a native Oregonian, I will say that there are more than enough Bend transplants from CA to make it uncomfortably yuppified. It is a nice place, but I would probably only go there to visit..

It's not uncomfortably yuppified. It's got just the right amount of yuppie with enough country left to satisfy. Hang out with locals and bag on all the californians. :) Perfect solution.

phrogpilot73

Unless you're retiring as an O-6 after about 30 years of service, you don't get to just goof off for the rest of your life - at least not if you want to have anywhere near the standard of living that you're accustomed to.
Even if you retire as an O-6 with about 30 years, you still work. So that when you retire, retire you maintain the same standard of living as when you were on AD. Ergo my father who retired as an O-6 with 29 years on AD, and only just recently retired from Lockheed Martin.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a native Oregonian, I will say that there are more than enough Bend transplants from CA to make it uncomfortably yuppified. It is a nice place, but I would probably only go there to visit. I'd rather have a cabin @ Black Butte or somewhere in the valley on a river. I do love the PNW though, and intend to move back when I get out of the service.

Since this seems to be an Oregon love-fest thread (I grew up in Ashland), I've definitely considered retiring back in OR, but definitely not Ashland. Oregon just has this certain vibe that makes me smile when I'm there. It's the hippy/ski bum/river guide part of the culture combined with the lumberjack/farming/winemaking element that I think blends well together. I'm just at ease there and the people have a certain laid back joviality to them.

One of my retirement scenarios (after the O6 >30 plus another 10 years as a contractor scenario) is to buy a vineyard/winery somewhere in Oregon and live out my years tending to my vines and shaking my fist at passing children. By then, I may actually look something like my avatar. :D

BTW, MIDNJAC & cumminspilot - where in OR are you from?

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Even if you retire as an O-6 with about 30 years, you still work. So that when you retire, retire you maintain the same standard of living as when you were on AD. Ergo my father who retired as an O-6 with 29 years on AD, and only just recently retired from Lockheed Martin.

I agree....my pops retired as an O-5 (yes, not quite the pay of O-6) in '79 and then worked privately until about 3 years ago. Even in retirement, the man won't quit (volunteer and paid consultant at various organizations to this day)........and him and my mom have been very comfortable. Same thing I intend to do.

@ Brett, I'm from Eugene originally, went to school in Corvallis and spent 25 years there before I joined the big blue water yacht club. I agree completely with your overview....it's probably the most laid back place I have ever been, and has the greatest mix of every climate I can imagine (save steambath gulf coast which I am getting plenty of now). Mainly I miss crisp fall weather and snowboarding on real mountains, plus great breweries and the best summers you will experience anywhere.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I've only lived here two weeks, but Whidbey Island is definitely moving up in my retirement list. Currently tied with eastern Iowa and southern Kentucky...

Iowa is close to Chicago, has plenty of the Amtrak, isn't completely lost in the sticks, and is easy to buy guns, shoot, kill ducks in...plus land is pretty cheap there...

Still my leading candidate...

Iowa would be out for me with no rifles for deer. We have a farm in SE KY and while the country is great there are simply no services like decent medical.

While TN may charge tax on groceries, property taxes are low and no income tax so it's pretty much a wash. I find the area around Oak Ridge very nice.

For me great retirement places include north-central NH, NW Nevada, SE WA or NE Or (although the hippie vote in both states drive me nuts). Of course there are places in MT and WY that are great and NE NM or SW CO has some nice country.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Oregon is amusing because it is always jacked-up pickup trucks w/ gun racks, or crappy subaru/prius w/ 20 eco-friendly bumper stickers on it. One or the other.

I'm from Portland, not sure where in Oregon I would retire though, as I'm sure when I am old and decrepit, climbing mountains, snowboarding, and hunting the Cascades won't be as fun.

Scuba diving in the PNW is miserably cold and the visibility sucks. (Just a thought)

RussBow6

get a sailboat and cruise around the Caribbean.
maybe you can product test dive gear for the navy or something...

just watch out during hurricane season... spend it in OR...

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
get a sailboat and cruise around the Caribbean.

My in-laws are doing this sort of thing. They leased out their house on dry land, bought a boat and have become full-time cruisers. Going on 4 years since they've lived on land and they have no intentions of ending anytime soon. Although, the lifestyle comes with constant maintenance work and continual expensive to keep the house afloat. And their insurance prohibits them from being anywhere near the Caribbean during hurricane season; apparently it's a ton more expensive to be inside the hurricane box in the summer.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
If you're gonna' go 'rustic' ... I'd opt for Eastern WA and a vineyard or the Idaho panhandle over Oregon ... too much schizophrenia present in the Beaver State, what w/ homosexual, X-dressing mayors, Birkenstock wearing, burned-out 60's hippies, and other assorted stoned floatsam & human jetsam on one side of the street ---- and machine-gun toting (legally) crazy skinheads on the other side of the street ...

Plus ... if you knew the 'modifications' we made, many, many years ago to the OSU fight song ... you wouldn't want to live there, either. :D

Some of my airline Amigos moved to the burgeoning 'pilot ghetto' of Bend, Oregon ... kind of a 'dry' version of Gig Harbor, WA (another pilot ghetto) .... and many of them are now trying to sell their overpriced successful yuppie-style houses and moving out, but I'm not privy to all of the details.

The only questions I asked myself were: do I want water (salt or fresh) ... palm trees .... blue skies ... white sand .... or mountains ... or the high desert ??? I never even considered 'cities' ... you'd have to be crazy to go there unless it's absolutely necessary ...

Wherever you go -- just bring along enough $$$$ to be comfortable. You don't have to be 'rich' ... but comfortable is nice ... :)

BourneID

pilot
I know Maine was talking about not taxing military retirement, and it is beautiful up there. THe Job market however sucks, and that might be the downfall, but I think you just can't get much better than the way of life there.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
Summers in northern Minnesota ....
Noooooooooooooooo .... nooooooooooooo .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

That's what I used to think when I was young and foolish ... I mean HEY!!! If the winters are soooooooooooooo shitty up there, the summers MUST be GREAT, yea-as ???

And then I went there .... lived & tried to breathe there. It was a relief each & every time I manned up to fly away & flee the insanity. :eek:

The summers are S-H-I-T in Minnesota ... hot & humid w/ beaucoup CB's and even tornadoes (saw one at the airport) .... and land of 10,000 Lakes, my ass ... it's 10,000 SWAMPS and they're ALL breeding the biggest, meanest mosquitoes I've even had the misfortune to run into ... Duluth (if that's what you mean by northern) was 'marginal', although Trophy Wife (then Trophy GF) DID surprise me by shedding her constricting garmets and plunging into Lake Superior for a quick skinny-dip while my back was turned .... a VERY 'superior lake', indeed ... :)

There's a reason why we called MINNESOTA 'North Korea' ... and many of the people 'iceheads' .... there's a reason why dumb Swedes & Norwegians settled there ... and I don't think it was for the '10,000 Lakes' ...