• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best place for SNFOs to live?

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Hey all, I'll be finishing up OCS in a about 8 weeks and was wondering the best place for SNFOs to live in down in Pensacola? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've done some searching but the geography is confusing to me, and I don't know what it is good to be near. Close to wherever I'll be working everyday would be fine by me.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There are lots of decent areas to live in pcola. Most of my FO friends lived somewhere on Perdido, though others lived downtown and also out on Pcola beach. Seems like perdido---> back gate is probably the shortest commute to API and Sherman field. I lived in a sweet house out on Perdido when I was in API, and my commute was something like 10-15 mins depending on whether or not I got stuck behind a school bus on the way to work. Downside to this area is that it is a pretty long commute to most places you would want to go, aside from maybe the 'bama or other places out there.

Casual

Jammin'
None
There are lots of houses out the back gate that are pretty nice. I knew quite a few people who lived there with a roommate or two. I would say that actually living out in Perdido is a bit too far, as is living anywhere near the airport in Pensacola. There are a bunch of high rise condos that are on the way to Perdido that are pretty nice, though. If you're looking for street names, Gulf Beach Hwy/Sorrento and Blue Angel Pkwy are pretty good. Lots of housing available within about a 2 mile radius of that intersection.

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Where exactly is the back gate. It's easy to find apartments and places for Pensacola but where do I want to be looking? As in, what are the good apartment complexes or streets that are right there? Realistically, what do you want to be near? Downtown some I suppose and then the commute to base. 10 minutes or so is probably fine but would hate to have to travel much farther than that. That intersection you mention Casual, that's a good location to live in? I appreciate all the help guys, as you know they keep you busy enough with OCS let alone trying to figure all that stuff out.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Casual has a good point......actual Perdido key is indeed a bit far, and I was more referring to the neighborhoods just out the back gate. My roomattes and I had a mansion of a 4 br house with a big heated pool in the backyard (with bug screen) and a tiki bar on the patio. From experience, it really only costs about 5 or 6 times as much a month to heat the pool during the winter/cold months :) There are a ton of decent condos in that area (and others) but I would recommend trying to find a real house if you have some roomattes in mind and are going to be in the area for a while (as an SNFO you would be of course).

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Casual has a good point......actual Perdido key is indeed a bit far, and I was more referring to the neighborhoods just out the back gate. My roomattes and I had a mansion of a 4 br house with a big heated pool in the backyard (with bug screen) and a tiki bar on the patio. From experience, it really only costs about 5 or 6 times as much a month to heat the pool during the winter/cold months :) There are a ton of decent condos in that area (and others) but I would recommend trying to find a real house if you have some roomattes in mind and are going to be in the area for a while (as an SNFO you would be of course).

Any heads up on names of the neighbor hoods or rather good places to look for those houses? My best shot at a roommate right now is a pilot so odds are he'll be ditching me after not too long. Also, do most people get like a house before they go or is it easier to show up and then hunt one down while sitting in A-pool? What's the best way to attack this? Super appreciative of the help.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
God, must be nice... I wasn't even dreaming of where to live in Pensacola during week 3-4 of OCS, in fact I couldn't even guarantee my own completion date that early. It must be Club Med now or something. They let you guys post on the internet at will now? I believe I checked my Airwarriors finally at like week 7.

Stayafloat

Professional API Student
Nah, we are on holiday stand down for another day. Figured I would take some of the free time to figure some details out.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I see, I went from March-June so the only standing down we did, was when we were standing down in the Rose Garden..

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Two buddies of mine rented the house next to the Flor-a-bama. (Last house in Fla in Perdido Key) It was party central every week.

Maybe I'm an old guy now, but my advice is live where it's fun while your a student. Soon you'll be married and worried about tax rates, school districts and stuff like that.

Live on the beach and enjoy the lifestyle of a SNA/SNFO. Someday you'll tell stories about your Navy career. Don't start them with "when I was in flight school, I had a 5 minute commute to work!"

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
+1 to helolumpy.

Myself and my roommates live across the street from the 'Bama. We definitely don't regret it.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1 to helolumpy.

Myself and my roommates live across the street from the 'Bama. We definitely don't regret it.

Truth. I've lived on the beach on Perdido for a year and a half (SNFO in advanced) and I have no issues with the commute. The extra 5 mins or so to work is definitely offset by the fact that I live on the beach. Besides, once you actually class up, you really won't have time to enjoy the downtown bars, except on the weekends, and there's always at least one person willing to DD. Let me know when you think you might get down here, because I'll probably be winging aprilish, and we'll be looking for people to take our condo.