• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BEST BATTLE RIFLE ??? *GASP* as in (another) "Gun Thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What is the prevailing opinion as to the best battle rifle of the past century??? Or to put it another way --- if you were stuck on the proverbial "deserted island" with only one rifle --- what would it be ???

Some criteria: full-power cartridge only -- no intermediates -- from 1903 (alright, 1895 onward :) ) onward --- no R&D stuff --- only issue production rifles, any organized military world-wide. It could even be a bolt action ... as "best" is pretty subjective and meant to be "best" during it's time and place in history relative to when it was in service. In other words, the M1 Garand was probably the "best" battle of the '40's .... etc, etc.

This will probably be in the minority, but I still gotta go with Old Faithful:

m19036xv.jpg
.... Any takers ???

Garands, Mausers, Krags, M14s, SMLE's, Moisin-Nagants, Arisakas, Enfields, FAL's, etc ... you name it.

Grant

If I'm stuck on a "deserted" island I doubt I'd need a "battle rifle" because there would be no enemies, because its "deserted". ;)

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will say the M1 Garand. The reason being is that it was a semi-automatic battle rifle when most, if not all, other armies in the world were still using bolt-action. It had a faster rate of fire, faster rate of loading, and in the hands of a normal infantry man, it was just as accurate as a bolt-action. Fired the everlasting .30-06, a round that is still a standard today. Gotta love it.

ben4prez

pilot
Yea, definately the M1. My uncle has one, and I've gotten to shoot it quite a few times. Great sighting, beautiful feel, rugged yet elegant craftsmanship.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
...I will say the M1 Garand.
ben4prez said:
...Yea, definately the M1.

I probably would have put the M1 first -- I shot the M1 at Camp Perry many years ago and loved it --- the only thing I REALLY don't like about it is the inability to "top off" it's "enbloc" CLIP ..... plus, when that clip comes out --- everyone who has not lost their hearing know you are E-M-P-T-Y .... by the characteristic "ping" :eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Grant said:
If I'm stuck on a "deserted" island I doubt I'd need a "battle rifle" because there would be no enemies, because its "deserted". ;)

It's a good thing I'm not still flyin' out to the Brownwood MOA or I would fly over your house on the way and exercise the relief tube ..... :)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Expert by no means but would go with the M1. Dug mine out of the mud three weeks after Hurricane Ivan, Replaced couple of springs, cleaned and lubricated and it still shoots 2 inch patterns at 125 yards.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
I probably would have put the M1 first -- I shot the M1 at Camp Perry many years ago and loved it --- the only thing I REALLY don't like about it is the inability to "top off" it's "enbloc" CLIP ..... plus, when that clip comes out --- everyone who has not lost their hearing know you are E-M-P-T-Y .... by the characteristic "ping" :eek:

That's true, the inability to top off the enbloc is a problem, but a manageable one. The empty "ping" is an issue too, but when guys load up their M-16s with tracers at the end of the magazine... you get the same effect. I've seen people load M1s faster than M-16s too... pretty amazing.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I just like the M1 'cause I got really good at cleaning sand out of mine in OCS...that and holding it out at arms length for periods of time...

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Jolly Roger said:
I'll go with the M-1, too. Just gotta watch out for the "Garand Thumb."

I got that in NROTC drill. You do mean when your thumb gets thwacked by the bolt closing on it right?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
RevnR6 said:
I got that in NROTC drill. You do mean when your thumb gets thwacked by the bolt closing on it right?

Amateurs ;)

(Yes, I did it once in ROTC and it HURT. Never with my own M1 though.)

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you keep your fingers in such a way that they intercept the charging handle before your thumb is intercepted by the bolt, it helps . . . still haven't fired one yet (stupid NY gun laws) but it worked on the drill field.

Man, that's the first time I've thought about drill in ages.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
If you keep your fingers in such a way that they intercept the charging handle before your thumb is intercepted by the bolt, it helps . . . still haven't fired one yet (stupid NY gun laws) but it worked on the drill field.

Man, that's the first time I've thought about drill in ages.

Check your PMs.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I'll break from all you M-1 groupies, and go with my beloved M-14. It's like an M-1 but better. No loading clips... and every bit as reliable and accurate. Some may say that 30-06 may make the M1 better... well, I think .308 will do just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.