• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Benchmade Knives (Automatic)

HuggyU2

None
"Firearms" is probably the best forum for knives, right?
Anyways, I'd like to know if anyone has owned/used Benchmade automatic knives. In particular, how about the "Infidel"?

Lone Wolf and Microtech are two brands I know nothing about: if you do, please chime in there too.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
I've heard nothing but good things about them. They're expensive but well worth it is what every owner I've talked to says. I've played around with some before and am impressed with the quality.

JTB7

A couple people in my scout troop have that type of knife. They love them and will buy no other knife. I just bought some cheap switchblade from the flea market lol

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have three of them, one is the Infidel. Good knives. Near flawless operation.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I've got the "Osborne" and have had it for almost 8 years now. Still rides on the inside of the flight suit wear that worthless rope used to be... Plus the action is like a switch blade and has held its own to A LOT of abuse.

FLY_USMC

pilot
Though I've owned several Benchmade knives, never an auto so I can't help, BUT, I like to think I'm a pretty good recommender of knives.............SSOOOO....if you don't have one, everyone should have a Kershaw Tanto Blur assisted opening knife in their collection. I absolutely love this knife, it's opening is amazing and it's just big enough to do damage, just narrow enough to keep neatly in your pocket.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I don't think it's assisted opening but I have one of their Griptilian models it's very smooth and one handed. Hard blade (154CD) that takes a careful job to sharpen but stays sharp along time. Excellent knife.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
I've been eyeing a Benchmade auto for some time, though it is hard to justify with the myriad of knives Uncle Sugar has given me over the years.
There are quite a few Benchmade autos in the flightsuits in my wardroom; I've picked the brain of many of the pilots and they all love them. They are also issued to rescue swimmers at some of the air stations (though there is specific language in our regs that they can't be issued to anyone but swimmers...they have a great union), and they say good things about them.

I believe Benchmade has discounts for military as well...maybe a group buy would garner a bigger discount?

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Though I've owned several Benchmade knives, never an auto so I can't help, BUT, I like to think I'm a pretty good recommender of knives.............SSOOOO....if you don't have one, everyone should have a Kershaw Tanto Blur assisted opening knife in their collection. I absolutely love this knife, it's opening is amazing and it's just big enough to do damage, just narrow enough to keep neatly in your pocket.

I had a nice assisted Kershaw knife but I lost it in the boonies of Camp Rudder during an FTX.

It was a great knife. So I second this on Kershaw.

I've known guys with Benchmades and they said they were well worth it as long as you were getting plenty of use out of it.

jdbryan

I had a benchmade auto and loved every minute of it. Lost it in afghanistan in 2004 and havent been able to afford a new one.

I had a speed assist kershaw as well, had it a couple weeks and the blade broke. (3/4" from the tip)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I've been eyeing a Benchmade auto for some time, though it is hard to justify with the myriad of knives Uncle Sugar has given me over the years.
There are quite a few Benchmade autos in the flightsuits in my wardroom; I've picked the brain of many of the pilots and they all love them. They are also issued to rescue swimmers at some of the air stations (though there is specific language in our regs that they can't be issued to anyone but swimmers...they have a great union), and they say good things about them.

I believe Benchmade has discounts for military as well...maybe a group buy would garner a bigger discount?

Uncle Sugar issued my first benchmade auto when I was at China Lake.

FlyinRock

It appears that I am in the minority. I've bought several Benchmade after a visit to the factory in Oregon. The quality seemed great and the auto knives had a nice smooth action. They just won't hold an edge and are a bitch to sharpen.
I've been using knives ever since I was a little kid and have quite a collection. Benchmades are overpriced for what you get.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
They just won't hold an edge and are a bitch to sharpen.

How do you sharpen? Get a Lansky sharpener and you may find that it's easier than you think. At least the one I have holds a spectacular edge but any errors in edge angle hurt more than helped hence the lansky.

My Grandfather was a barber and could put an edge on a knife quickly far better than anyone I've ever seen but it was his living! In 35 years of knife owning I've never been able to emulate his technique.

FlyinRock

Pugs et al
I've always enjoyed watching and learning from those who could put a fine edge on a blade. I do a pretty decent job of it and normally keep my blades hair shaving sharp.
I've got two Benchmade folders that I'll sell for $25 each plus any postage required. I'm in the Bay Minette area and have students who come up for training daily out of the PNS/Milton area. The knives are used but not abused and not used much at that! Well worth the price if you want a Benchmade. PM for more info.
Rocky

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
How do you sharpen? Get a Lansky sharpener and you may find that it's easier than you think. At least the one I have holds a spectacular edge but any errors in edge angle hurt more than helped hence the lansky

I bought my son a Benchmade auto opener and a Lansky sharpener to keep him company in Iraq. He loved the knife and it served him well until he lost it on one of his last trips outside of the wire. That said what he raves about is the Lansky sharpener.