• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being vegetarian in the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
@60Flyer, what did you bring to the boat foodwise? I eat healthier/higher quality stuff as much as possible, but my Navy galley experience is limited to the OCS chow hall. I've been told boat food is better than the OCS chow hall, but haven't seen it in person. I could see better coffee than the sludge they served being popular.

I did a lot of weird stuff. Egg white sandwiches (have them make you hard boiled eggs and then cut the yolk out). Enormous amounts of fruit. When they did have grilled chicken breast or something - see if you can get more and then put it in your fridge for later (although people look at you weird when you bring it up to dinner and you have something different than everyone else).

I brought my own salad dressing - boat only has the high fat/cal stuff.
My own granola bars I usually snack on throughout the day.
Lots of "packs" of tuna - the no drain kind.
Cans of chicken.
Dt pepsi (our ship didn't have it) - cases and cases of it. Definitely got made fun of for that one.
Any protein powder or GNC products.

Our salad bars didn't really have much protein. But you could bring cans of beans.

I never had any storage space problems - so I brought quite a bit of stuff. Pretty much anything non perishable that I ate on a regular basis. And then my parents mailed me "goodies" since the stuff on the ship sucked.

soapwater

Woah, thanks for all the responses. I'm glad people have encountered veggie burgers.

@Thisguy, what about bananas?

@Synixman, I wouldn't compromise like that. Someone earlier said I could request vegetarian meals in advance for indoc. Now that I think about it, it makes sense... if you had no choice and the only option was beef or pork, that'd violate some religious scruples for some people. Seems like any military branch would have to accommodate a vegetarian diet or get sued by Hindus. I'm not religious about it--pretty pragmatic, which is why I'd start eating eggs again. But in my case, I won't eat meat or waste it. If forced to take a slab of meat at OCS, I'd give it to someone else. Not to mention, at this point I'm just disgusted by the thought of meat in my mouth, and it'd probably screw up my metabolism.

@60flyer, seems like your diet is even stricter than mine, so good to know it's possible. You said "your fridge." I was actually going to ask if you could bring a mini-fridge on a ship, but that seemed like something to put in the "stupid questions" thread. I really don't know how officer quarters work, or the wardroom. I read a wiki that said wardroom was for officers above the rank of sub-lieutenant (obviously a British definition). I assume all JOs can eat in the wardroom?

Thanks again!

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Soapwater - It's your call, more power to you if want to stick to your guns. Looking back at our Day 0 in briefs from the Class Officer, he did ask if anyone had special dietary concerns. You might be able to swing it. Like I said though, it makes you stand out. Not something you want to do at OCS.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I'm not sure what your motivations for vegetarianism are (I know there are several differing schools of thought), but hopefully you have come to terms with the fact that the military is an organization that does actively pursue and kill people. If this is at odds with your personal morals, then you may have more to worry about than your diet in the future.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
For every animal you don't eat, just know that I'm out there, eating 3 of them to cull the herd.

soapwater

I'm not sure what your motivations for vegetarianism are (I know there are several differing schools of thought), but hopefully you have come to terms with the fact that the military is an organization that does actively pursue and kill people. If this is at odds with your personal morals, then you may have more to worry about than your diet in the future.

Yeah, I've thought about that. Answer is more complex than I can put in a few sentences, but basically: I don't kill what doesn't harm or intend to harm me. If a tiger is about to pounce on me, I'd shoot it (either to disable or kill it). It'd be tragic, but... every death is tragic. If I have to acquire or identify al Qaeda targets for the Navy or something, welp... it's tragic that they're indoctrinated with an extremist, homicidal mindset and live in shitty conditions, but tigers will be tigers, and al Qaeda will be al Qaeda... But a cow or pig never done me no wrong.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Better hope they don't send you to the sub community.

The irony is that apparently subs have the best food.

Welcome to Airwarriors, Soap. Interesting that you are so strong in your conviction that you'd pass up that piece of protein during what is likely to be the greatest energy deficit your body has ever experienced to that point(provided Navy OCS is roughly in the same ballpark as any other encounter I've had with DIs).

And don't be worrying about your yuppie metabolism, you won't take a dump for about 2 weeks (also based on experience with DIs).

Yeah, I've thought about that. Answer is more complex than I can put in a few sentences, but basically: I don't kill what doesn't harm or intend to harm me. If a tiger is about to pounce on me, I'd shoot it (either to disable or kill it). It'd be tragic, but... every death is tragic. If I have to acquire or identify al Qaeda targets for the Navy or something, welp... it's tragic that they're indoctrinated with an extremist, homicidal mindset and live in shitty conditions, but tigers will be tigers, and al Qaeda will be al Qaeda... But a cow or pig never done me no wrong

I disagree on grounds of omnivorousness, but I definitely like where your head's at on justifiable homicide.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... but basically: I don't kill what doesn't harm or intend to harm me....
Exactly ... that's why I'd never kill a cow. I've never killed one of 'em that live around me.

Unless he/she charged me ....

But an Al Qaeda cow??? That one's goin' DOWN ... just for sport !!!

But then ... there was that potato bug that tried to get in the garage the other day ...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The amount of condescension in this thread is staggering.

It may come off as condescending but it isn't intended to be (at least on my part). I've only been doing this for a couple years (outside of ROTC at least), but I have seen folks with the greatest of intentions end up regretting their decision to serve once the reality of what lays ahead hit them. It's great to have ideals, and I appreciate someone having strong convictions, but when they are at odds with your chosen line of work, it just ends up hurting you. Perhaps the OP has it figured out, but then again, perhaps the reality isn't as black and white as he thinks it is. I really can't comment to that, as I have yet to serve in combat, but I'd say the question is a valid one. I'm not a fan of killing for sport either for the record, though I do enjoy meat.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I don't know why everyone is bagging on this guy. He simply asked a question about the possibility of staying vegetarian. I don't think worrying about diet considerations is totally off the wall.

@60flyer, seems like your diet is even stricter than mine, so good to know it's possible. You said "your fridge." I was actually going to ask if you could bring a mini-fridge on a ship, but that seemed like something to put in the "stupid questions" thread. I really don't know how officer quarters work, or the wardroom. I read a wiki that said wardroom was for officers above the rank of sub-lieutenant (obviously a British definition). I assume all JOs can eat in the wardroom?

Thanks again!

Like I said, both my cruises were on USNS. The first already had a fridge in the room. The second I snagged from supply (become friends with the supply guys). But I don't see a problem with just bringing one. Someone else will have to chime in with how things are on a carrier or a small boy.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
It may come off as condescending but it isn't intended to be (at least on my part).

MIDNJAC said:
hopefully you have come to terms with the fact that the military is an organization that does actively pursue and kill people.

You're right. Why would I think that that's condescending? It sounds perfectly reasonable that people would join the armed forces thinking they're going to plant trees or teach kindergarten. :icon_roll

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well ... I can't speak for anyone else, but here's the fucking deal-io (in one man's opinion) for those who are getting all huffy-uber-defensive & 'questioning' @ why someone might look on 'soaps' concerns as ... somewhat humorous, shall we say???

If you're coming into the USN or any other branch that UNCLE 'likes' and is occasionally called upon to make a list & take names ... and kill the people on that list ... but one of your major concerns is your dietary regimen and how the USN can accommodate YOU: i.e., what YOU want ... what YOU hold dear ... what YOU think is important ... what YOU want to carry over from civie-street ... what YOU want to do .... :)

I suspect you might have a 'problem' getting along in a world that is full of mean assholes who eat meat.
And when they can get 'em .... they eat fish & drink milk, too ...

If it's that important -- I suggest you go to work for Microsoft.

I weep for the future of Naval Aviation ...

an34.jpg

exhelodrvr

pilot
Yeah, I've thought about that. Answer is more complex than I can put in a few sentences, but basically: I don't kill what doesn't harm or intend to harm me. If It'd be tragic, but... every death is tragic. ... But a cow or pig never done me no wrong.

I agree totally. Those vegetables have every intention of harming me, so I get them first. The tomatoes in the garden are assembling even as I speak; I figure I'll need to launch a preemptive strike against them in about a month; first I'll probably knock off a couple of the scouts in three weeks or so.

Reactions: m26
Status
Not open for further replies.