• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being vegetarian in the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soapwater

I searched for any threads on this and didn't find any. So yeah, I'm a vegetarian (want to fight about it?). I don't want to get into a debate about whether you can survive or be healthy without meat, but basically the compromises I'd make for the Navy are this: I'll eat eggs and any dairy except milk (lactose intolerant--can't stand the stuff). What is eating like on a ship in the first place? Are the meals absolutely fixed every day? I've researched this a bit on the internet and most of my searches yield "navy bean" recipes, but really all I have are anecdotes from higher level officers (one was O-4) about it being tough but not impossible. They guy also said they (whoever "they" is--don't know if he was even on a ship) occasionally offer vegan options. I find this hard to believe.

Related question: will everyone call me gay or something for being a vegetarian (is there a DADT policy for vegetarians)? And will it be especially tough getting through OCS? Thanks.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
There were vegetarian options at OCS. I haven't been to a ship yet so standby for that, but I find it hard to believe the Navy wouldn't have some sort of vegetarian choices on the ship.

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?" Homer Simpson.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I imagine it's like being in Naval Aviation and not drinking. It's possible, but people will bring it up at some point. On the whole, it will be a non-issue. I know a couple veggies in the Navy.... granted one is a woman. :p

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
"Yes, preparation H DOES feel good....on the whole."

scott_evil.gif

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
What is eating like on a ship in the first place? Are the meals absolutely fixed every day?

You'll have an easier go of it as an officer dining in the wardroom than on the messdecks. On a carrier, if you don't like what they're serving you could always order a veggie burger or something and there's always a salad bar available, Wednesday pasta bars, etc. It limits your selection, but I wouldn't think it impossible.

Related question: will everyone call me gay or something for being a vegetarian (is there a DADT policy for vegetarians)?

Only if you use a carrot to give blowjob lessons.

And will it be especially tough getting through OCS? Thanks.

OCS is probably easier than the ship. If the staff knows you're vegetarian, they'll make sure you get a vegetarian plate during the indoc phase where you don't get to choose what you eat. After that, just order things without meat in them.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
My first squadron, the NavComm on my crew ate vegetarian. Definitely doable in the P-3 world.

I say "ate" vegetarian because years later I found out he was a fraud....During SERE school, he didn't like how the bunnies were sacrificed so he decided never to eat meat again. For 6 years until he got out of the Navy (through a VP squadron and VP Rag instructor tour), no one saw him eat meat, fish or eggs. Then a couple of years after, I was passing through his town and met him for dinner. The guy orders a steak. I asked him when he gave up on the vegetarian thing. He said about a month after he started. He said that at first we gave him so much crap about it (the bunny part) that he kept up the farce to save face. Then after we quit giving him crap, he was stuck and didn't want to reveal himself as a fraud. He told me the whole time he would eat meat like crazy when no one from the squadron was around. He even kept up the game in front of his girlfriends because they might have slipped and given him up. He said there were many times as we were all eating steak or burgers that he wanted to kill us. But as they say....it's better to die looking good than admit weakness or look bad..... Gotta respect him for maintaining the public persona for so long.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
I imagine it's like being in Naval Aviation and not drinking. It's possible, but people will bring it up at some point. On the whole, it will be a non-issue. I know a couple veggies in the Navy.... granted one is a woman. :p

Now what is that supposed to mean....

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He means vegans/veggies are effeminate by nature, so a female doesn't count...should have thought that was obvious. ;)

But seriously, folks.

I know one or two veggies who have made a go of it on the Boat. It can be done, but come on. This is the Navy...the fucking salads are deep-fried in animal fat.

Lights Out

We had a vegetarian in our platoon when I went through jrs., he made it just fine. Can't remember exactly what was said when the staff found out, but it happened right in the middle of the chow line. On the plus side we could usually trade MREs with him.

Floppy_D

I am the hunted
The pair of DDGs I served onboard offered vegetarian entrees, and had a pretty good salad bar. AND, after a few folks asked, started doing veggie-burgers a couple nights a week, especially on roller/slider day. I cranked in the wardroom; a few of the Os were vegetarians. Maybe due to having a smaller crowd to cater to, the Suppo did a great job of having suitable chow for all. Again, that's small-deck surface life; it could be different elsewhere.

60flyer

Now a C-12 pilot
pilot
Contributor
He means vegans/veggies are effeminate by nature, so a female doesn't count...should have thought that was obvious. ;)

But seriously, folks.

I know one or two veggies who have made a go of it on the Boat. It can be done, but come on. This is the Navy...the fucking salads are deep-fried in animal fat.

Yeah, I thought that's what he meant. Heaven forbid someone actually give a shit about what they put in their body - that MUST mean they're gay. Lets all get fat instead.

Soapwater - It's fairly difficult to eat healthy on the boat. You have limited choices - and I was on USNS. I got made fun of ALL the time for what I ate. I'm sure being vegetarian isn't any different. I was picky. I brought a lot of food onto the boat myself. You can certainly do it - it just depends on what you're willing to do without.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
As far as OCS, I'd recommend biting the meat bullet through week one, just to blend in with the crowd. You might get away with leaving your meat on the plate, but you're usually so f'in hungry you'll eat whatever. The first week you get a grab and go meal, no choice, and it usually one of the meats plus both starches (pasta/potatoes/etc)

After that you (usually) have a choice of what you get in the chow line and the salad bar is available. Salad bar had beans, hard boiled eggs, bacon bits (no shit, not meat), & cheese to get your protein. Fair warning thought, Ney Hall's food was pretty bad in general.

@60Flyer, what did you bring to the boat foodwise? I eat healthier/higher quality stuff as much as possible, but my Navy galley experience is limited to the OCS chow hall. I've been told boat food is better than the OCS chow hall, but haven't seen it in person. I could see better coffee than the sludge they served being popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.