• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a CG Pilot

sardaddy

pilot
I will have to defer the CSPI questions as I don't know too much about the program. My understanding is you must be at a 25% minority or more school but if you are really interested I would find someone who is responsible for recruiting for the program. If you aren't in one of those schools, you can still apply for OCS. The only difference is that you don't have a guarantee for flight school. But if you are dedicated and meet the criteria in OCS, you probably have just as good of a chance ans anyone else.

Platform selection is a bit different. Generally most want helicopters and that is where most of our billets are so there is not a whole lot of competition. But yes performance and needs do come into play. However, I was just having a discussion with a friend of mine and when he went through, all of the students were brought together and told to work out who was going to get what slot and then bring back their answer and their requests were honored.

As for needing tech degrees, I don't know where you read that, but I would have to disagree. I know pilots with teaching degrees, Liberal Arts degrees, and I even know one who was a philosophy major. The wardroom is sure a lot more fun that way too.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Platform selection is a bit different. Generally most want helicopters and that is where most of our billets are so there is not a whole lot of competition. But yes performance and needs do come into play. However, I was just having a discussion with a friend of mine and when he went through, all of the students were brought together and told to work out who was going to get what slot and then bring back their answer and their requests were honored.

This seems to be the norm lately. About once a quarter or so, they need some fixed wing pilots, so the CG guys work it out on their own w/ whomever controls that and then everyone knows where they sit. Seems to happen randomly (anywhere during Fams to later on in RIs).

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
As far as deployed helos... Are aircraft rotated on and off cutters? Do they preform the same mission as normal but stationed on ships? If so... How long does a deployment last?

We do deploy aircraft on cutters for about two months at a time. Some deployments are only for a couple of weeks, again it depends on where you are stationed. We alter our mission somewhat as we focus more on LE vs SAR.
To add, this does depend on airframe...HH-65 Dolphins and MH-68 Stingrays deploy off of cutters, while HH-60s seldom do (the percentage of cutters that can accept the 60's is small).

I assume platform selection is the same as Navy ( in that you get to put down your wishlist, and based on preformance/ needs you get what you get) is this correct?

Like so many things in the military it is timing, timing, timing. There are folks that dream of flying fixed wing that have to fly rotary wing, and vice versa, so it is really whatever is available at the time of your winging. The majority of our pilots are rotary, but opportunities in fixed wing may have a sudden surge/lull depending on billets that open up (believe me, it is almost pure freakin' magic) that may force you fly the airframe you don't want. And how slots are doled out is dependent on the CG liaison officer at Pensacola; it could change when and if you arrive there, but performance in the program is supposed to be the biggest factor.

Vypr51

Whatever you do, DON'T go the route I'm trying to go... That route is:

1. Enlist in the USMC
2. Go to USNA
3. Get comissioned in USMC
4. Become pilot in USMC
5. Serve your commitment and get out of USMC
6. Apply for DCA program and hope like hell you get selected

This is the roundabout method, and if you're interested in being a Coast Guard pilot (like I was as a young kid), go to www.gocoastguard.com and start doing the research (i.e. find a recruiter, learn about officer careers, etc...)

Good first step coming here on AirWarriors too!
Phrog,

Couldn't agree more. I looked really hard at DCA before getting out in 2005, and the recruiters I spoke with basically gave me the cold shoulder. Half didn't even understand the program, and the other half just said they were not interested in running a package. My last three years in the Corps were in recruiting command - I know they had quotas! Maybe my rep had filtered down to the Department of Transportation....errr...Homeland Security and screwed me out of a billet.

Vypr

sardaddy

pilot
My last three years in the Corps were in recruiting command - I know they had quotas!

Recruiters don't have quotas for DCAs. My original board was cancelled because there were not enough applicants. Even if they get you in, you don't count toward their quotas anyway. Most recruiters won't know about the program. Most have never dealt with aviation during their careers and only about 50 people apply for the program each year.

If you want to be a pilot in the Coast Guard you are going to have to make it happen yourself regardless of which program you use to get in. If you look at the info on this site, you will most likely know more about the program than a recruiter.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
well, they have landed a C130 on an aircraft carrier once. Does that count?
Hey now, give some props to the props...it was actually a few times:

Altogether, the crew [of the C-130] successfully negotiated 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings, and 21 unassisted takeoffs at gross weights of 85,000 pounds up to 121,000 pounds. At 85,000 pounds, the KC-130F came to a complete stop within 267 feet, about twice the aircraft's wing span!
http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp