• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Becoming a CG Pilot

goldenmoose

Hey,

Could someone please explain the process of becoming a CG pilot? I am new to this forum and would like to get some more information on the subject. For example, people going into OCS in other branches already know what job they are going to be performing. Is this the same in the CG? Thanks for the help.

phrogpilot73

Could someone please explain the process of becoming a CG pilot? I am new to this forum and would like to get some more information on the subject. For example, people going into OCS in other branches already know what job they are going to be performing. Is this the same in the CG? Thanks for the help.
Whatever you do, DON'T go the route I'm trying to go... That route is:

1. Enlist in the USMC
2. Go to USNA
3. Get comissioned in USMC
4. Become pilot in USMC
5. Serve your commitment and get out of USMC
6. Apply for DCA program and hope like hell you get selected

This is the roundabout method, and if you're interested in being a Coast Guard pilot (like I was as a young kid), go to www.gocoastguard.com and start doing the research (i.e. find a recruiter, learn about officer careers, etc...)

Good first step coming here on AirWarriors too!

Recidivist

Look at the Blue 21 program, see if you qualify. there's a sticky on the CG board
As I understand it (I'm definitely not the authority on this subject) you can go blue 21, OCS and compete for a flight spot, Academy and compete for a flight spot or comission and apply for a flight spot later in your career. I'm not sure if there are any other guaranteed flight spots.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
To become a CG pilot:
1. Apply & attend OCS
2. Compete w/OCS classmates for flight slots (take your ASTB prior to going to OCS)
3.If not picked up during OCS you can keep applying for periodic boards while your in the fleet

Or...

If you qualify go for the Blue 21 program try it, as I believe it is the only off-the-street guarantee for aviation. Other than that, you will not know where you will be going after finishing your 17 weeks of OCS...you could end up on a cutter, or at a Marine Safety Office, or even (horror!) at HQ in DC.

Any more questions, feel free to pm me.

mike172

GO NAVY
Just for kicks i decided to check out the coat guard website. For the blue 21 and the scholarship whats the deal with "25% minoritys at your school?" is there a way around this if your school doesent have that high a %? I would possibly be interested in coast guard if there was a scholarship program i could get into.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
Just for kicks i decided to check out the coat guard website. For the blue 21 and the scholarship whats the deal with "25% minoritys at your school?" is there a way around this if your school doesent have that high a %? I would possibly be interested in coast guard if there was a scholarship program i could get into.

I once read about that too. That policy is very odd.

mike172

GO NAVY

Edit: is there an "airwarriors" type website for the coast guard? I am interested in learning more...

Tombstone

That is a good question with how the Blue 21 program works regarding the 25% Minority you have to have at your school. Can someone explain that please.

mike172

GO NAVY
Also for anyone's interest not only does the Blue 21 program require 25% minority, but the Coast Guard scholarship also requires 25% minoritys at your school, which seems alittle silly to me...

phrogpilot73

Edit: is there an "airwarriors" type website for the coast guard? I am interested in learning more...
Coast Guard Aviators, the last time I checked are Naval Aviators. Hence the reason for the U.S. Coast Guard forum on Air Warriors. There are a ton of Coasties on here, but I don't know how often they check in. You're at the right place.

mike172

GO NAVY
Awsome! Ok so I have been doing some research on Coast Guard Air Stations and what not. So here are a few questions for the Coast Guard guys when they get around to it...

(mainly for helos)

1. What would daily life be like for aircrew at an airstation? (are you flying everyday?) In many cases only 3 helo's are at a station so i'm just wondering of how the whole thing works.

2. As far as deployed helos... Are aircraft rotated on and off cutters? Do they preform the same mission as normal but stationed on ships? If so... How long does a deployment last?

These questions are broad, and i'm sure I have more but they escape me right now. I don't really know anything about Coast Guard aviation or how it works and what not, so any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

mts4602

Check out Coastguardocs.com

Its a great site that can/already has answered your questions. There are a lot of CG pilots on there as well.

sardaddy

pilot
The Blue 21 Program is designed to bring more diversity into the CG aviation program. Thus the 25% rule. You don't have to be a minority, you just need to attend a school that has a minority population of 25% or more.

As for us having our own Air Warriors website, we just glom onto this website. We only have about 600 pilots Coast Guard wide so we wouldn't be able to support our own site very easily.

As for the other questions, here are my best answers:

1. What would daily life be like for aircrew at an airstation? (are you flying everyday?) In many cases only 3 helo's are at a station so i'm just wondering of how the whole thing works.

It all depends on the station and the pilot. I currently fly 4-6 times a week and I am at a station that has only three helos. We have 12 duty standing pilots and we can barely meet all missions and flights. So we do a lot of flying. Other stations have three times as many aircraft and fly just as much, while other stations have pilots that don't fly quite so much.

2. As far as deployed helos... Are aircraft rotated on and off cutters? Do they preform the same mission as normal but stationed on ships? If so... How long does a deployment last?

We do deploy aircraft on cutters for about two months at a time. Some deployments are only for a couple of weeks, again it depends on where you are stationed. We alter our mission somewhat as we focus more on LE vs SAR.

mike172

GO NAVY
Thank you very much for your answers. I also checked out the coast guard ocs website.

Few more questions..

I assume platform selection is the same as Navy ( in that you get to put down your wishlist, and based on preformance/ needs you get what you get) is this correct?

For blue 21 and CSPI if your school does not have 25% minority students are you finished or is there another way to get into these programs?

I read that the CG wants tech majors, If you are not a tech major do you have no shot? Or is it like the Navy where tech majors help you but its not required?

Lasty, does the CSPI an "ROTC" like deal, in that you have to go to some specialized classes, PT, wear uniforms ect. or is it just a scholarship, they give you money and then you go to OCS?

Thanks Again!