• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Beale AFB Airshow - 18-19 April

HuggyU2

None
Would like to get AW aircrew to bring out some Navy/Marine/Coast Guard aircraft.
Give me a shout if you're interested.

Lonestar155

is good to go
Sir, we got a bunch of USMC candidates up here in the northern part of California that would be dieing to see a little moto. Any information or links you can pass on? Thanks

HuggyU2

None
No link yet, but keep checking www.beale.af.mil
What's a "moto"?
Performers so far are John Collver, Warren and Kent Pietsch, Eddie Andreini, Patriots Jet Team. More are being signed.

MasterBates

I used equate "moto" with an individual race within a motocross race.

However, it's YutYutese for "Motivational". People desiring/having too much moto are often known as "MoTards"

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huggy...did I see you piloting a U-2 two holer in the latest Aviation Leak Magazine photo contest results issue?

HuggyU2

None
They may have been a touch more orange when I first started, but certainly not like the Shuttle suits.
Back in the 80's the U-2 and SR guys wore orange flight suits, and maybe that's what you're thinking of.

yak52driver

Contributor
They may have been a touch more orange when I first started, but certainly not like the Shuttle suits.
Back in the 80's the U-2 and SR guys wore orange flight suits, and maybe that's what you're thinking of.

You're right, I'm thinking of the SR suits. I used to work at JSC, if I'm not mistaken those are also the suits the Shuttle folks wear. Do you know, are your suit and the U-2 suits basically the same?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Do you wear a flight suit under those pressure suits, or is it something more like what astronauts wear under their spacesuits which is akin to long underwear?

HuggyU2

None
Long underwear. When NASA began training for the Shuttle in the late 70's, they really had gotten out of needing pressure suits. So they came to Beale and got some of ours to get them going. Over time, they tweaked them to their own specifications, but the suits are very similar. They are made by David Clark.
http://www.davidclark.com/Aerospace/aerospac.shtml
Mr Tom Bowen works here, and oversees everything "pressure suit". He's pretty much the world wide expert in them, and has been working them for over 50 years. He launched Gary Powers from Pakistan on his ill-fated U-2 flight in 1960.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Very cool Huggy. I can't imagine the logistics and support it takes you guys to get in there. Any chance you're going to Sun N Fun in April?

HuggyU2

None
Very cool Huggy. I can't imagine the logistics and support it takes you guys to get in there. Any chance you're going to Sun N Fun in April?
No chance. First the Beale Airshow is the week prior. Second, this is a busy year for Ops Tempo, plus we're hoping to train more new U-2 pilots this year than we've done in probably 30+ years.
I was going to bring a T-38, but will save that for 2010 Sun 'n' Fun.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nice pics Huggy...so does hanging out in your space suit like that really draw them in like flies?

Serious question...once you suit up for a flight and go to pure O2, do you have to leave the visor down permanently....even when flying?