• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP Questions

Bugsmasher

Another Non-qual SWO Ensign
What's the problem with calling yourself an officer candidate? Hell, that's what it says right in my orders. I don't mean introducing yourself at the bar like "Hi, I'm Officer Candidate Timmy", but if somebody asks it's the easiest way to explain it.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What's the problem with calling yourself an officer candidate? Hell, that's what it says right in my orders. I don't mean introducing yourself at the bar like "Hi, I'm Officer Candidate Timmy", but if somebody asks it's the easiest way to explain it.

Because you are a year+ from even showing up at OCS, and when you DO get to OCS, it takes you a week (or sometimes more) to get the privilege of calling yourself an "Officer Candidate". You haven't done squat yet, so don't presume to be something you're not. If you have to explain it to someone, just say "I got a pilot (whatever) slot in the Navy and am waiting to go to OCS (boot camp for officers)". They'll understand that.

Remember, you can still attrite/DOR/whatever. You haven't done anything yet. I've been there and I never told someone I was an officer candidate. Maybe it will make more sense once you get to OCS.

SWCS242

SWO in-training
Yeah, I def don't call myself an officer candidate and won't until I'm actually there, but it's not like those of us sitting around to leave haven't done anything yet. We made the decision to join, applied, went to MEPS, took the PFA (more than once for BDCPers), swore in, and signed on the dotted line. All of which takes several months and some motivation in order to "hurry up and wait" and wait and wait, just to see if we got selected. In the mean time keeping grades up, staying in shape, and staying out of trouble. (Not much compared to OCS, but it's and understatement to say we have done absolutely nothing thus far.)

But Bogey-Spotter, I see where you are coming from and may feel the same was as you do when I get there.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Remember, you can still attrite/DOR/whatever.

do people actually go through several years of BDCP only to DOR at OCS? what happens then? i assume they have to pay back for the BDCP, right? are they forced to go enlisted? does it happen often?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
do people actually go through several years of BDCP only to DOR at OCS? what happens then? i assume they have to pay back for the BDCP, right? are they forced to go enlisted? does it happen often?

It's far less common in BDCP/Nuke for the above obvious reasons, but it does happen. You either get let go for whatever reason (medical, mental or whatever you convinced them of), or you go to Great Lakes as enlisted.

nugget81

pilot
It's far less common in BDCP/Nuke for the above obvious reasons, but it does happen. You either get let go for whatever reason (medical, mental or whatever you convinced them of), or you go to Great Lakes as enlisted.

Unless you are NQP medically from the Navy, then you just go home. While I was at OCS, there was a girl who was in H class for several months and was trying to get out without DORing. She was a nuke or BDCP and couldn't DOR without going to Great Lakes. Turns out she had a psychological evaluation and got sent home. I think she really was crazy though...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you are NQP medically from the Navy, then you just go home. While I was at OCS, there was a girl who was in H class for several months and was trying to get out without DORing. She was a nuke or BDCP and couldn't DOR without going to Great Lakes. Turns out she had a psychological evaluation and got sent home. I think she really was crazy though...
That is a big generalization about one observed incident where you actually admit she may have been a psych case. Based on my experience that includes more then one incident and a thorough understanding of the contract, if you don't finish OCS as a BDCP candidate because you NPQed, you do indeed go home. Not your fault. If you fail to commission due to DOR or, technically, attrite, you go to Great Lakes. In reality, the reason for an attrite would determine if someone was sent home or went to Great Lakes. Obviously, undesirable or militarily incompatible individuals would not be welcome in the enlisted ranks either.

egolnick

Man, I didn't mean to cause such a debate, I was just wondering for paperwork reasons and I am trying to get an internship at SOUTHCOM. I know I am considered active duty, but I had no clue how to explain to the Air Force Col. in charge what I actually was. Sorry for causing a rukus.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Man, I didn't mean to cause such a debate, I was just wondering for paperwork reasons and I am trying to get an internship at SOUTHCOM. I know I am considered active duty, but I had no clue how to explain to the Air Force Col. in charge what I actually was. Sorry for causing a rukus.

You are active duty E-3 (college program officer candidate) assigned to your local NRD.

egolnick

Thank you very much Bogey, now I won't look like a complete moron when this Col. asks me what my current status is.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
and to the people who say BDCPers haven't done anything...I worked my tail off to get selected as many, especially Goob know for close to a year and a half...so getting in was one heck of an acomplishment for me. Moral of my story is never give up!

Ok, I WAS in BDCP as well. Having been the beer-drinking college student paying my tabs with Navy $$, I can say it is a HUGE bunch of hurdles to jump through, and BZ on you (and all of us) who chose to join the service and make the sacrifices we did, but in hindsight (and it wasn't even THAT long ago) I did NOTHING until I got to OCS. It is a SWEET DEAL, but make no mistake about it: They WILL earn all that beer drinking free time and money they gave to you when you report on board.

So I guess to sum it up, you haven't done anything, but you're about to do A LOT. Fair enough?:)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
with all due respect sir, I am prior Coast Guard and I am paying University of Miami tuition by myself and supporting my little brother, while carrying another job to help keep my family fed and stay in school until I

I should have caveated my statement from the perspective of a civilian BDCPer who applied, got accepted and had no other real responsibilities. I'm sure you have accomplished a lot to get to where you are now. I just felt at the time like I was robbing someone. Although I wasn't complaining. :)

No worries. BDCP is a great program, and getting accepted to it is certainly an accomplishment, whether we "did anything" or not. Congrats!