• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP/OCS DEP Training and Indoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious about what kind of activities your recruiters are involving you guys in while you wait for your class dates and graduation. I'm sure you do the PRT. Any regular PT, OCS class prep, swim, airshows, etc? We have a guy doing a bang up job with DEPers. Is even working on a qualification program for pistol and rifle so our guys go to OCS with a ribbon or two. What kind of experiences are you having?

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
I've only been to 3 or 4 DEP meetings and most of them focused on PT. Mostly we did the PRT or a group run. The OHARP Ensigns showed us some of the OCS PT drills (stretches, abs, etc...) and voice responses. Someone said that they got to tour an aircraft carrier but that was before I was there.

Wish we got to do the pistol and rifle quals...
-Greg

NuSnake

We have one DEP meeting a month...mostly its administrative stuff that will help us in the fleet, but we also do some PT at times...usually close to when our next PRT is.

yeah i wish we had pistol quals too

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

jaerose

We're supposed to meet with our recruiters? Since when? Just kidding...we only do our monthly meetings and a few weekend meetings here and there in addition to our PRTs. I think the last month, or so prior to OCS the contact gets picked up a notch.

JR

jaznups

Contact? My recruiter swore me in and I haven't heard from him since! Should I call or would I be bugging him considering I'm not going anywhere util 2005...

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is supposed to be on going contact with your recruiter while in DEP or BDCP. Most recruiters do something monthly. It isn't the end of the world if you miss sometimes. Point is to make most the meetings interesting or otherwise valuable enough that you want to show up for an hour or so. Serves two purposes, keeps you motivated so you ship when class date rolls around (not a problem for most you guys:)) and to prepare you for OCS and follow on training. I suppose your recruiter would consider it "bugging him" if he hasn't bothered to fulfill the requirement up to now. Too bad, you could do better. At least you have this forum. In the old days DEP meetings and recruiters were the only places you got gouge for OCS prep.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
When I was in BDCP I talked to my recruiter every once in a while. However, I never had meetings or any other structured contact with him other than the prt twice a year. Then after I graduated I had to wait 5 months to start ocs. I just pt'd on my own and got to hang out with my wife and kids. I thought I read somewhere on this board that a bdcper was having to work at the recruiters office. I dont think that is in our contract. I know most of us waiting were not working at all. Overall, I think BDCP is a great program and encourage anyone interested in a future with the Navy to look into BDCP.

Dave

tali264

My contact with my recruiter is limited to the 2 PRT's per year we do. Other than that - we do nothing. I know we're supposed to keep in contact with them every month (and I did with my first recruiter simply because I really liked him - I'm now on my third recruiter) but I don't. I do, however, e-mail the secretary occasionally to ask questions or whatever because she seems to know more than anybody else in that office.

I wish our office was as put together as the one wink was talking about - that would be GREAT!

doubleeagle

Sounds like wink has the best of all of us. I have been DEP since Jan 03 and haven't been contacted by my recruiter since swearing in. I don't leave for a few months and don't anticipate any contact from my (now 3rd since starting the app. process) recruiter. The guy is lazy and just does enough to get by. Wish you all well and hope you get treated more like Wink than what I have. See you in the fleet...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never heard of a BDCP guy "working" anywhere before OCS. Never happened in my office. Still, BDCP is such a good deal you hate to complain too much about it. Your comments confirm my suspicions. Not much "DEP managment" as we call it going on. Don't expect any of you guys would fail to ship out, but you could be a whole lot better prepared for OCS classes if your recruiters worked with ya. Maybe some of you should drop a couple hints back at the office. These guys aren't doing their best for you.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Never heard of a BDCP guy "working" anywhere before OCS. Never happened in my office. Still, BDCP is such a good deal you hate to complain too much about it. Your comments confirm my suspicions. Not much "DEP managment" as we call it going on. Don't expect any of you guys would fail to ship out, but you could be a whole lot better prepared for OCS classes if your recruiters worked with ya. Maybe some of you should drop a couple hints back at the office. These guys aren't doing their best for you.

jaznups

Well I'm already on my 2nd recruiter. I really liked my first one and this one isn't so bad but I just don't really know him I guess.
psst_125.gif

Wink---
I agree! I hope when it gets closer to my time they'll do something with me. Sometimes, depending on the recruiter, they have DEPPER meetings.
bouncy_125.gif

tali---
Yea, my secretary knows everything inside and out and goes out of her way to help me and everyone else. She calls to check up on me on occassion which is odd? Shouldn't my recruiter be doing that
bigeyes_125.gif
?

-Jaz

Clarity comes when the confusion is gone.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
One thing that our NRD in Indy does once per year is have a "training" session which consisted of material that covered what to expect in OCS, PRT motions, Medical/Dental concerns, swimming concerns, and any other questions that all of us BDCP'ers had. Last meeting we had an Ensign on OHARP (I think) that gave us some "insight" and hints on what to expect at OCS's first couple of days (nothing more than what you could learn here). I did want to mention though that it should be in your contract that you have to meet once per month face-to-face, and once per month via email/phone. Some recruiters take this seriously, and others don't. Our recruiter is now pushing the rule. D

tali264

D_mac, I'm going to have to disagree with you on the keeping in contact part. I thought it was only once, but I read your post and went and checked the rules. It says "Contact your recruiter at least twice every month". No where does it say it must be face to face.

But I guess it all depends on what your recruiter enforces. I think once you switch recruiters after the one who originally signed you...they kind of cast you aside as not really "theirs". Who knows...it's fine by me.

NuSnake

I'm told the same thing as D_mac....once by phone/email and once face to face...but our face to face meetings are usually our DEP meetings. But its all good. I think it depends on the recruiter.

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.