• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP/OCS DEP Training and Indoc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'm the poor joker who's been working at the recruting office since January. Now that I'm finding out that the rest of y'all got to do whatever, I'm kind of tweaked. I start OCS on July 12th...and am now taking leave so I don't have to work until then. What's up with this? Did I wind up with an OPO that hasn't a clue, or is this kind of stuff kosher?
-A

Ummm...yeah

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
That's what I thought...but if the CO of the NRD supports the OPO's decision...to whom do I appeal? I guess, in the long run, it's probably not worth it...
-A

Ummm...yeah

thumper

I've had to work in my recruiter's office, but I only have to do a few hours a day. I usually end up working on PRTs or the gouge, and if I want time off all I have to do is ask. But, I think you're probably right to not bother fighting it, unfortunately.

shoots den

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
Dunedan,

Are they making you take leave, and won't allow you to take any days off, or what? I thought it stated in the contract (or atleast was told by my recruiter) that you need only take leave if you are going out of the country while in BDCP. That sucks that you HAVE to work for NRD before OCS. Nowhere in your contract says that you are obligated to do work for NRD in passing time between... yet it's probably too late to fight it. Good luck.

D

jaerose

Yeah, our old OPO told us we were going to have to work in the office, but we've got a new one now and he just wants us to get ready for OCS...forced to burn leave, what a shame.

JR

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Pretty much what happened is this:

I was supposed to graduate from college in June of 2003. I got bored just taking the few classes that were in my degree plan, so I took a bunch of classes at a time (around 26 hours per semester) and graduated in December of 2002, thinking that I'd just get to OCS that much sooner. T

he OPO got all freaked out when I told her I was going to graduate 6 months early, saying that I'd screwed up my contract with the Navy (even though I got the same degree I tod the Navy I'd get, just sooner). Anyway, she said that she asked CNRC if I could go to OCS sooner and told me that they said "no". So she said that since I wouldn't be going to school, they didn't have to pay me unless I agreed to work at the recruiting office until I got to OCS.

So since I had nothing better to do, I started working there. Once that happened, any time I wanted time off, I had to take leave. Since my son just got out of 3rd grade on June 20th, and I start OCS on July 12th, I decided I wanted to spend a couple weeks with him. She told me I had to take leave to do this, so now I'm on leave until I get to OCS.

I guess I assumed this was normal. If it isn't, then I'm starting to get pissed...

-A

Ummm...yeah

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Odd, I tried to reply and it didn't appear to take. Here's the second try...

What happend was this:

I graduated in December of 02 instead of June of 03 like I'd arranged with the Navy (I got bored and took a lot of classes at once - my GPA did not suffer, I got a 3.89). So the OPO says I wrecked my BDCP contract with the Navy by not sticking to the Degree Completion Plan, and I can't go to OCS early because there are no slots, and since I'm not in school anymore I have to work at the NRD or not get paid. I figured this made sense in a way.

Once I started working, I had to take leave if I wanted any time off...including the last couple weeks before OCS that I am taking to spend time with my son before I go. She said I shouldn't complain because I have more leave accrued before OCS than most officers have after graduating from OCS, the Academy, NROTC, or whatever.

If this is normal, then so be it. If it's not, I'm rather pissed off about it...
-A

Ummm...yeah

NuSnake

you shouldnt have graduated early...free money just to go to school...thats fine with me...shoulda just kept on takin classes...haha you can never have too many HPE classes{;-)}

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

jaerose

That's BS...it's like saying we have to work during the summers if we're in BDCP...which we're not. I don't go to OCS until August, so I graduated before OCS. I really hope you have been getting E-5 pay since December, because we're all supposed to get E-5 pay upon graduation...if you're not, then raise hell b/c you are owed the money and you should get it retroactive to your graduation date. Also, I would contact someone other than your OPO, who seems to me to be off her rocker. We are not required to work (although they can ask us to do so) as academics are our priority...I think she screwed you out of leave and off time because she wanted to lighten her own work load. I would investigate and try to get my leave back...and E-5 pay if you aren't getting it!

JR

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
I'm getting E-5 pay...so no big deal there. I have no idea how to begin investigating all of this, however. Especially since I'm reporting to OCS in 3 weeks. Maybe I can look into it after OCS, and try to get my leave back then...
-A

Ummm...yeah

jaerose

Well, start by looking at your BDCP contract. If you don't have a copy, get one...the one you signed and see if it says any of the crap you were told in it.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.