• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP eligibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adadas_1

My question is, can a college student still be accepted into the BDCP program if he/she is on a varsity team for the college? What about if he/she is on a scolarship? I know this may seem as a little simple and dumb question but I appreciate any input.

Jim

i don't see why being on a varsity team would hurt you from getting on BDCP. if anything, this might help your application look a little more competetive in a sea of other applicants. as far as other scholarships, i don't think the navy cares as long as you're not getting money for being in navy ROTC. i myself have a scholarship through a private foundation and the only time i ever mentioned it to them was on the ocs application under the awards/scholarships section. hope this helps.

-jim

Goliath112

Bacculaureate Degree Completion Program. it is a officer program that pays selectees money while they finish up to 3 years of college. you get paid as an E-3 with full benefits and allowances. after graduation you must go to OCS (officer candidate school) and if you DOR (drop on request) you will get sent to RTC (Recruit Training Command Great Lakes, IL) where there is no such thing as quitting or DOR'ing . basically if you don't live up to your end of the deal you have to enlist for two years.

man the wait is killing me

Tessone

BDCP stands for Baccalaureate Degree Completion Program. Basically, if you go to a school with NROTC, the Navy will contract you, pay a certain amount of your school costs (it's a fixed ceiling, not a percentage), and then you go to OCS and are commissioned afterward. If you decide not to commission, you carried an obligation to enlist, if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, doing sports isn't going to hurt your chances of getting into BDCP. The worst thing that could happen is that the Navy won't give you more money than you need to pay for tuition (that is, if they're willing to pay $10,000 a year and you only need $3,000, they probably won't let you pocket $7,000). In the end, you'll still have school paid for and you'll still be a commissioned officer in the Navy.

Be aware that there aren't many slots open in the unrestricted line right now. SWO is *very* hard to get, and NA/NFO are always tough to get. They're pushing a lot of people toward Intel, Supply, and Nukes, or at least that's what I've been hearing.

Goliath112

BDCP does not give out percentages of tuition. They simply pay you as a E-3 with full pay and benefits. i.e., BAS (Basic Allowance for Subsistence, food pay), BAH (Basic housing allowance (only if you're married I think). Also I believe you can participate in the navy's Tuition assistance program. which is for active duty enlisted sailors. basically as of OCT 02 the Navy has upped T/A to 100 percent. which means all active duty enlisted sailors attending school (on thier off time) will get free tution minus books.

navy101

I am in the bdcp right now and there are paying me about $1900 a month. Also, you get full medical and dental coverage. The bah and the bas is also inlcuded in your salary I think. Pretty much anything regular active duty members are entitled to bdcp winners are entitled to.

Rayman

Originally posted by Goliath112
Bacculaureate Degree Completion Program. it is a officer program that pays selectees money while they finish up to 3 years of college.

Hey all! thanks for all the infos. Can somebody here tell me what happens in 'A SCHOOL'?

rayman

Goliath112

which "A" school man? are you still going to enlist man? I was wondering because I would like to know if you're having trouble converting you degree. err that is if you recieved it outside of the U.S. where did you go to school ray?

p.s. I don't want to be too nosy but, with an accredited B.S. degree
I don't see why in the sam hell you would enlist for?

Rayman

Originally posted by Goliath112
which "A" school man? are you still going to enlist man? I was wondering because I would like to know if you're having trouble converting you degree. err that is if you recieved it outside of the U.S. where did you go to school ray?

Sorry for the late reply for my current work takes much of my time for the past days.

Well, I graduated here in the Philippines and I'm 29 now. I just don't know if enlisting would be a good route for me. The reason for it is that I can avail of the waiver that says age can be waived for priors upto 31. If that's the only way for me to achieve my dream, then so be it. That's how much I'm driven.

I'm just curious what to expect from 'A SCHOOL'. Any 'wild' reaction, inputs, in any form, shapes and sizes will be appreciated from this restless soul.

rayman

Status
Not open for further replies.