• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP eligibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harmony Boy

Rayman,
I enlisted and went through "A" school, however, I'm a musician and our school differs a lot I think from the others. The basic music course is pretty much a joke if you're are a decent player and know your theory. The SOM has an accelerated advancement prgoram which I don't know if other schools have. The basic music course is supposed to take 6 months, but you take an incoming audition on your instrument and theory test to determine your abilities. If you score at a level required to graduate, you can "accel" out of the course. I did that and was only there for a month-and-a-half, waiting for orders. Again, I know this is probably very different from other Navy "A" schools but you can get that info from others.
Good luck!

James

Rayman

James,

Thanks for the input. Well I'm a 'jack of all trades master of none' when it comes to music. I can play certain instruments but have no specialty.
Thanks anyways.

rayman

Rayman

C'mon guys. I'm sure there are alot of priors in the forum. Don't keep me hangin' in here.
What types of 'A' Schools are there in the Navy.

rayman

Goliath112

dude all kinds. look up all the rates of the navy on the navy's website or something. ok how bout this, tell us what area you're interested in, for eaxmple like aviation, administration, construction, warfare...etc. there are a bazillion A schools man. and we'll give you the skinny on that rate/job.

man the wait is killing me

Rayman

Goliath,
Well, aviation is the nearest thing in my mind as of now. How long(weeks)will it take to finish it? Is it possible that I can cut short the school time if I show remarkable skills?

rayman

Goliath112

no man. no such thing as an enlisted guy. Now, do you want to fix jets? here is a link referrin to all the enlisted rates

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/allhands/ranks/ratings/av-rates.html

keep mind that you won't be a pilot by enlisting. You can however, be a Aircrewman and fly backseat. this is not to be confused with NFO, and you won't be a backseat on fighters. Hey Rayman you have a degree right? did you get it in the U.S. ? is this an age thing? man I would just apply for OCS if I were you. Enlisting is cool and all but, you want to be a pilot right? explain again why you want to enlist.

you can be a aviation Machinist's mate (AD) and fix jets. the school is like 2.5 months long.

you can fix the jets avionics and be an (AT) the school ranges from 6 to 12 months I think.

you could do all the paperwork for fixing jets and be an (AZ) the school is about 9 weeks.

you can be an AE and work on the aircraft's wires.

or an AC and be an Air Traffic Controller 6 month school

you can be an AM and either fix the hydraulics (flight control surfaces and etc.) or the aircraft's structural parts. i.e, panel and bending metal NDI (non-destructive inspection)

you could be and ABH and work to park and recover the planes off the carrier.

or a ABE and work on the carriers arresting gear (I worked on arresting gear once. very tough job.. a real unsung hero kind of thing)

you can be a AK and so all the supply ordering. i.e., ordering parts.

you can be a AS and work on all the GSE ground support equipment

you can be a AO and load the bombs onto the aircraft

you can be a PR and work with all the parachutes and survival gear.

you can be a AW and look for submarines every other month while you go on bounce flights (training take-off and landings) with the new
rookie pliots from this forum.

you can hmmm (i rememeber all this until here, I went and looked up more aviation rates.

you can be a PH (photographers mate) and take pretty pictures

you can be a AG and predict the weather.

p.s. I hope I didn't give any Navy secrets away...lol sorry valion

Goliath112

Hey man Rayman wanted some help. I'm afaid though that the e recruiters might bamboozle him. In Boot camp we had quite of few guys thinking that they we're gonna apply for officer right after A school.

Vic

Your MOM!
pilot
Or you can be an ABF and be a proud Grape. it's a 2 month school and is a lot easier than all those other high tech schools.jajaja

Don't sweat the small stuff!

ghost_ttu

Goliath are you saying that an enlisted recruiter might mislead someone into thinking that enlisting is the best way to go just to meet their quota? I'm appauled that you would suggest such a thing.

Goliath112

lol.. I know...I know... I know thatits such a remote possibility but, I just thought that somehow his recruiters may have strayed a tiny bit/little.. albeit its probably an isolated case and due to thier love of country and navy.

Goliath112

Originally posted by Vic
Or you can be an ABF and be a proud Grape. it's a 2 month school and is a lot easier than all those other high tech schools.jajaja

Don't sweat the small stuff!

shiite forgot all about the grapes man. oh the grapes......

skywagon

Rayman, Don't know if this help but my "A" school was 6 months long. Gas turbine systems tech. mechanical. 4 months of class room and 2 months of Hot plant. We learned all about General Electric, Allison, and lycoming turbo-shaft, turbo-prop and turbo jet engines. We focused on ship board propulsion and electrical power generation for Destroyers, frigates and cruisers. The curriculum was fairly challenging. The work was good out in the fleet and I feel my 4 years were a positive experience. I got out as a GSM 2. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them. Good luck.

Tessone

As Rayman posted, the reason he is thinking about enlisted is to get an age waiver to become an officer, because he's 29.

Personally, I wouldn't count on being able to go to OCS without first serving your full contract with the Navy as an enlisted person. Yes, there may be exceptions, but what if you aren't one of them? You might be too old to go to OCS anyway and have spent several years doing something you thought was a stepping stone and has turned out not to be.

--
Chris Tessone
http://www.polyglut.net/

Harmony Boy

There's no stipulation about enlisted OCS applicants having to complete their enlistment. If they're accepted, they get an OCS date like anyone else and report at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.