• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT1208

Jay,

I have a BDCP SNA slot for FY 03 and the average wait they say is 4-6 weeks, however my app went in after Sept. 11th and apparantly everyone wanted to join at that point to it took almost 6 months. As for the depth perception question correction is allowed, so definately don't go for any unnecessary surgery. For all avaition standards refer to :

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm

There are many terms on there that are foreign to those non MD types so it may take some searching to make sense out of all it.

JT

JayManC

JT
hey thanks for the link to NAMI, I had read that a few years ago, but long since forgot about it. In term of surgery I wanted to see what they had about PRK/LASIK/E-LASEK waivers. Reason being, although I managed to pull 20/20 out of my arse at MEPS. I doubt it'll ever happen again I think I'm borderline 20/50 or so not really sure. Either way I'm looking to get it fixed. I wanted to see if they had posted anything about that. That being said I wasn't sure if you could apply for a waiver while in the program or if it had to be part of the application process. Fill me in anybody. THANKS

<insert something witty here:>

Goliath112

Hey JaymanC I'm going for BDCP, but in Hawaii. I'm applying this Friday. I finally got everything together. You know I took my 200 word statement to a english teacher and you know what? I thought I had realy looked it over but, there is always room for improvement. You guys all probably know this but, I reread the statement and it sounded so prefabricated. I talked to my CWO3 classmate (he has been up for alot of boards) and he gave me alot of advice on it. These are the things I think are most important for your statements (like I said you guys probably all figured this stuff out but for those who haven't....

Show the outmost confidence in your abilites... avoid I feel, I think I can.... Make it sound like you're hungry... Make sure you can't erase the name at the top of the paper and somebody else can use it..What I mean is talk about your Specific qualities i.e., aeronautical education, science education,pilot licensing..etc. For all you priors out there avoid only talking about only navy experience (talk about it and highlight it but mention that you haven't been sitting on your ass since you've been out) Finally let then know you want to be a (insert designator here) but say i want to be a naval officer in such and such communities. Remember the reason is its only a 200 word statement is because that is what makes it hard. Its very difficult to say all this in only 200 words or less. they may count the words too so do not go over. thats my 2 cents

JT1208

Jay,

If your Physically Qualified now you don't need a waiver for anything. If you go OCS in the first week you will receive your flight physical (or so my letter says so). If at that time your NPQ'd (not physically qualified) then you can apply for a waiver at that time. You'll receive a Photorefractive test when they dialate your pupils and examine your eye for its true visual acuity. That test determines if you're really 20/20 or whatnot. Most people overcompensate on the "what way is the letter facing exam" without realizing it. To make yourself PQ'd through surgery you have to apply at that time, and then wait 3-6 months after surgery to reapply. The following link will tell you all you need to know about PRK and LASIK waivers.

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/ophthalmology.htm#lasik

So as far as the Navy is concerned now your PQ'd, if you do get accecpted to BDCP and then are NPQ I'd assume they'd be much more likely to grant you a waiver since your entered into a BDCP community that pays you for time in college. Since the Navy is invested in an 8 year avaitor you they'd be more likely to try and keep you for 8 as an avaitor, then let you go after 4 as a SWO. I hope that helps.

JT

Edited by - JT1208 on 08/18/2002 21:20:30

JT1208

Just a note to all. I want to correct some of my info. The test I mentioned where they dialate your pupils is for refractory error, which is measured I believe in diopters (sp) not sure it's basically what you glasses prescription number is. As I have no glasses I was always left with a confused look on my face when my friends with glasses said their vision was horrible and blurted out some unknown number. Acuity is the 20/20 blah blah blah thing. Even that is not a perfect explanation. I believe this to be 99% correct but if someone is sure it is wrong tell me and I'll change it.

Edited by - JT1208 on 08/18/2002 22:04:35

kent1644

Goliath, I really appreciate the previous reply to my post. It just seems to me there is always an obstacle to hurdle when trying to get into the Navy, and all I want want to do is serve my country, like most of everyone else on this board. My recruiter told me that if I would of had these scores the first time I took the test I would have been a shoe in, and it just gets frustrating to hear that kind of stuff. I think if I take the test again in a 180 days I will do better on the Nautical part of the test, because I have the Marine study guide now, but I'm not sure about the Math and Mechanical. I'm just scared to risk passing scores because with my luck I will retake it, not do as well and they will need pilots again. I've come to the fact that I am just a slow test taker. In college I had 3.2 GPA in Business Finance, but I was always the last person to finish my test, and thats not good when you take standardized tests, because you have to work so fast. I'll give my application a go anyway and hope for the best. Good luck to you on your application also.

Edited by - kent1644 on 08/18/2002 23:27:56

Goliath112

hey man i'd just apply with what you got now. Otherwise go and find the arco government mechanical comprehension tests and study that shit hard. The arco officer and flight aptittude books are okay for mechanical comp but the other book is more in depth on mechanical comp. hang in there man. take what your recruiters say with a grain of salt though. They really have no say about you getting selected. and for the most part you end up having to keep them in thier toes. BTW you said you want to serve.... so why not think about another position?(another officer position I mean) I mean if you're dead set on pilot then more power to you. But I gotta tell ya. there are other jobs out there man. Navy Supply Corps, Navy Surface Warfare Officers, Navy Aerospace Maintenance Duty Officers, Navy Intelligence Officers, the list goes on. If you don't think you'll get in as a Pilot then maybe go as something else. Hack it out in the Navy then apply for a lateral transfer to Pilot. I'd just go to a bar think it over for a sec and SAY F**K IT. and submit the damn app. you're not alone with the anxiety brotha...we all have it.

Goliath112

Anybody remember Collective Soul and thier song "Have I got a long way to run.... Have I got a long way to run...... I run...... I run.... download off morpheus and listen to it. very inspirational. BTW i saw them live in concert here in MCBH Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii

Kynavalchic

OK I have a lot of questions so please bear with me. One due to circumstances beyond my control my GPA is not a 2.7 but close to it. Is there any chance or should I wait another semester? I dont want to be an aviator I would like to work in either JAG, Intelligence or Communication can I still use BCDP for that? All I've seen on here is aviators. Three what are the test everyone is talking about?

NuSnake

Yeah you can apply, but with that GPA it is gonna be nearly impossible to get into ANY community, especially JAG or INTEL. Get to work on that GPA, go for above a 3.0.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
--Edmund Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.