• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayManC

Hey out there, I'm in the process of applying to BDCP here for a FY04 aviation slot seeing as how I still have two years of school left. Already got MEPS'ed and the only thing I need to do is turn in my PRT scores. If anyone is in the same boat I'm in get up with me, especially if you're in the Hampton Roads area. Did OK on my ASTB, I had passing scores, then they upped the reqs, so I'm gonna submit and hope that my recommendation letters stand for themselves. If anyone out there knows the AVG wait for word back from Millington, TN once the package is submitted lemme know.

I still have alot of questions of my own and I've gotten many of them answered from the postings. One topic of interest I did have was obtaining waivers. For instance when I went to MEPS I somehow managed to read 20/20 uncorrected but I still needed my glasses for the depth perception. Interested in possibly PRK, or LASIK but I'm not gonna take any chances until I know for sure. My biggest concern is passing everything, obligating and then getting NAMI "Whammy"-ed!

<insert something witty here:>

JayManC

hey come on guys, you mean to tell me that no one out there could say anything?

Logan Ridley

Hey, I too am in the process of applying to the Navy through BDCP. I got caught by the upped requirements on ASTB. I went back and studied the A/N. When I took the test for the second time, I doubled my previous score after studying! About PRK and lasik, my recruiter told me that the Navy endorsed the surgery as long as they approved it. He even said that I might be able to get the Navy to pay for it. Good luck, God bless

Goliath112

could someone explain the upped astb scores to me. how much did they up? and did they up it just for sna and snfo?

Valion310

ARRRRRRRRRRR, now I have to retake the test since the upping'edness. Oh well, I'm dropping my package in early Dec after my next semester of grades comes out, so WHOOO RAA to the FY04 canidates!! As far as why they did it, don't quote me, but I think it just has to do with the all around raising of everything right now due to the shortage of slots, I think my recruiter the other day briefly explained that as that they are overwhelmed with packages and people, so they are raising everything right now.

Everything in the military runs in cycles, give it a year or so and I'll bet my left shoe that they will be lowered or lowering them back down when they start running short of people or get a bunch of open slots, I'd even bet that us FY04 guys will be sitting pretty come this time next year...

"Whoo Hoo the slutty Jenny Jones guests on TV at 0330 in the morning! Lets get them down to our OCS Graduation!"

Valion310 out-

aoconnor

So am I understanding correct, they upped the ASTB test score requirements? Even for NFO's? IF so what are the new passing scores?

ghost_ttu

I'd be willing to bet that in the Spring they will drop the numbers back down. They just don't want to be swearing guys in that aren't going to OTS until Feb. 04 Fortunately for me to some degree I turn 27 in May 04. So if I get an 04 slot they will sneak me in there

JayManC

Yes as far as I know the requirements for both SNA/SNFO have been raised. From what I have gathered the AQR and PFAR/FOFAR are the only ones that were raised, a 35 is still minimum OAR and the PBI/FOBI have been discarded. My scores were by no means outstanding but considering the fact that I had scored the highest in my group I was pleased with them. My scores were as follows
OAR 41 AQR 4 PFAR 6 FOFAR 5 PBI 2 FOBI 1 which at the time DQed me because of the BI scores; osince they were tosses I was back in play, but now after some urging by my stepfather I was told by no means was I to re-take the test.
Truthfully I don't know what the scores were upped to, but I think it's now AQR 6 and PFAR of 7 dunno about FOFAR (sorry guys)! anyother q's just let me know.

kent1644

The Minimum scores still stand at 3/4/4, to apply for SNA/NFO, but in order to be competitive they are saying you need a AQR of 6 and a 7's on the PFAR and FOFAR

JayManC

Kent,
Perhaps the nature of the scores have changed and you are right, I'm just going by what my recruiter relayed to me. Although he said he would submit it, and I'm hoping that my letters will stand for themselves.

cman

I just took the ASTB last Wed, and I can tell you for a fact that the selection board wants to see an AQR 6 and PFAR/FOFAR 7. My recruiter showed me the email he got dated July 2nd. From what I read, the min. score is still 3, 4. However the selection board is looking for scores of 6, 7. Does this mean that they will not accept anything less? I kind of doubt it, especially if you're pretty close and the rest of your package is impressive.

My scores were AQR 6, FOFAR 5, and OAR 53. The chat with my recruiter after he had my scores was basically about if I should take the ASTB over after the 30 days. His take on everything was that my scores are good. Not great, but still good. The problem is that I actually did very well on each section except math/verbal. I had 28 out of 30 on the mechanical and I believe something like 25 on the aviation and nautical section. I can't remember what my spatial was but it was good also. My math/verbal was only 24 of 37, and because the m/v is wt'ed more heavily for the FOFAR, I ended up with a 5. If I retake, my math score may improve or it may not, but will I still score as well on the other sections? If I end up with a lower score, then I have to sit on my ass for 180 days before another retake. So, after looking at the pros and cons, his suggestion was send in the package and see what happens.

So after all that rambling, my suggestion is if you have above minimum scores, go ahead and send in your package. There is nothing that says you can't retake the ASTB and reapply if not selected the first time.

C

kent1644

I have the exact OAR of 53 as you do and FOFAR of 5, but I only got a 4 on the PFAR, what got me on that test was the time on the spatial part and the nautical info. I just wish I would have known about the Marine study guide before I took it. I am going to submit my package anyway, and I hope they consider the fact that I am an Instument rated pilot, with 200 hrs of flight time. The bad thing about my situation is, that was the second time I took the test, so now I have to wait 180 days to take it again. I am 24 years old and they don't have any spots left until 2004, which means I will be 26 if I get selected. If I take the test again in 180 days and don't do as well I will have to wait another 180 days and by that time the slots will be full up until 2008. I think I'm at the point where I am going to submit my package, and if I don't get accepted, I am going to get my commercial then resubmit, If that doesn't work I'll try with a CFI etc. until I am just to old to try anymore, but I don't think I am going to take the test again. I just think its rediculous that they select pilot applicants based on how fast you can answer questions, that have nothing to do with how well you can fly. I think applicants should at least get an interview with the selection panel, because it seems all they choose people on is there score on that stupid test, reguarless of whatever else you have accomplished in your life.

Edited by - kent1644 on 08/18/2002 02:33:22

Goliath112

Hey man don't be so down about it. They don't pick people based on just scores. They look at the overall picture. They look at your GPA and what kind of classes you took. The quality of your resumes (remeber lukewarm recommendations might just as well be a bad reccomendation, get highly recommended only)What your major is.
Your 200 word motivational statement is also very important. I know many people who write only about how much they want to fly and How they dreamed since a kid.... The navy wants Naval Officers period. Not just score jockeys. They will look at your demonstrated abilities and demonsrtated leadership potential. Your 200 hrs of flight time will probably make up for your scores. anyway 53 is a good oar score. I am in the same boat as you are (I am going for supply/amdo/swo). but, i have been in the navy and know that when going up for a board the members can pretty much see thru alot of unimportant bullshit. (like helping old ladies across the street and playing 10 different sports and also being on the dedate team while maintaing a 5.0 avg on a 4.0 scale)
Age also plays an important role. Not to knock any younger guys (21 below) (i'm sure most of you guys are dedicated to getting to ocs and flight school) but you guys are a rare breed. most people at your age don't know what the hell they want to do. but older people like you kent have demonstrated that flying and by getting hours done you know what you want. Sorry long post. But here is some anecdotal info. i go to school with alot of older guys. in fact my last two partners in class projects were senoir. not 78 and a cane senior but one was a ADCM and the other a CWO3 . they told me story after story about the poor quality of many JO's who didn't act like they wanted to be there. they were so suprised that i asked them for counseling about junior officer dos and don'ts. The moral here is that i bet most of us will get to our goals of being navy leaders. But nobody lose sight of the fact that we are applying to be managers who take care of our troops. that goes for priors too. don't you hate the "Been there done that attitude" don't be a mustang with that attitude.

Edited by - Goliath112 on 08/18/2002 05:38:22

Edited by - Goliath112 on 08/18/2002 05:40:53

JayManC

That's what I'm talking about Goliath. Having been on both sides of the coin in terms of the grunt and the supervisor (not in the Navy mind you) I completely understand the value of a subordinate's input. While I'm only 23 and will be 25 when I graduate I think it took me a while to recognize the value of my childhood dream, and try to make it come to fruition. What you said about the recommendations...dead on...more and more the Navy has become a game of politics and unfortunately to get ahead you have to play the game. It seems like it's not what you know anymore but more or less WHO you know. Now granted I am still in the application process (dropping my package later this week [FY04 SNA only])but I'm praying the letters that I have will raise an eyebrow or two.
While I can appreciate the direction this topic has taken, is anyone close to BDCP in Tidewater??

cman

Kent, I know what you mean about the time. It's not that the math section is too hard, you just don't have a lot of time. I knew this going into the test. I was on question 18 or 19, looked at my watch, and only had like 8 min's left. That got me flustered and I screwed my self on the last half of that section. Anyhow, I really concentrated on the rest of the test and did much better at keeping calm and focused.

Good luck on your package. I'm hoping to have everything with mine completed and ready to go sometime in the first weeks of september. The thing is I still have a med. waiver to deal with.

Wish me luck!

C

Status
Not open for further replies.