• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BDCP (Among other things)

Techie

Hey all,

First, to all of the service members out there. Thank you for serving.

Ok I have perused this site for awhile ever since hearing of it, and I finally joined. I am in the process of applying for BDCP in the areas of SWO, SWO-IW, and Aviator. I had a really challenging time with the recruiter in Phoenix. I am graduating from a CC, transferring to a University with about 1.5 years left. According to the Recruiter (Senior Chief), I not only had to be enrolled (which I knew and am), but ALSO had to put in a semester there before he would even SEND me information on Officer Options (Not to mention the fact that he was darn near impossible to get ahold of). I got a call from a MI OR (who didn't know I was in AZ), who had no idea why this OR said that. I ended up getting in touch with an OR in San Diego NRD who was thrilled to interview me. So far I have filled out the Application, NASIS, and I have the Letters of Recommendation. My plan is to do the PFT and MEPS either in Phoenix, or close to where I live.

My question (after that lengthy introduction) becomes this: I have a 4/4/4 47 OAR with a 3.1 GPA. What are my chances of getting Pro-Rec'd for BDCP?

Thanks in advance.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I have a 4/4/4 47 OAR with a 3.1 GPA. What are my chances of getting Pro-Rec'd for BDCP?

Thanks in advance.

You'll find out real quick that's not a question you want to ask around here, because everyone and their brother has asked it before. The answer is: NOBODY ON THIS FUCKING BOARD KNOWS.

That said (I'm not trying to intentionally be a dick), I will say that historically, your ASTB scores aren't competitive, so (like the SATs) it doesn't hurt to take it again.

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the Phoenix NRD. I've been volunteering with them at career fairs at ASU.

pmasters

Not even your recruiter can answer that question, depends on projections for available slots in certain communities at future times not to mention competition on the others applying for OCS slots during the same month. I will second the above comment, take the ASTB again. 4/4/4 does not meet the minimum scores for SNA (if I remember correctly) so if you want to apply for that you'll need to bump those up. My recruiter says applicants have been way up since the job market crashed, so I can imagine that overall competition is stiff. Best of luck.

gstapes12

BDCP FS Pilot
Hey all,

Ok I have perused this site for awhile ever since hearing of it, and I finally joined.

My question (after that lengthy introduction) becomes this: I have a 4/4/4 47 OAR with a 3.1 GPA. What are my chances of getting Pro-Rec'd for BDCP?

You must be a TERRIBLE peruser techie. I joined this site a month ago and figured out instantly while i was PERUSING that nobody here is going to say anything nice in regards to the question: What are my chances at x?

Techie

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions about the Phoenix NRD. I've been volunteering with them at career fairs at ASU.
It's not so much about questions with Phoenix NRD. The OR there apparently has different expectations then other OR's (which could be good or bad). For me however, I wanted to apply and see if I got in on my current package.

I will second the above comment, take the ASTB again. 4/4/4 does not meet the minimum scores for SNA (if I remember correctly) so if you want to apply for that you'll need to bump those up. My recruiter says applicants have been way up since the job market crashed, so I can imagine that overall competition is stiff. Best of luck.
Thanks for the advice, and I probably will.

How much did you prep or did you take it cold?
Bought the Arco Book, and I did really well on the SAT, and ACT, so I wanted to see how I did. Turns out-average.

You must be a TERRIBLE peruser techie. I joined this site a month ago and figured out instantly while i was PERUSING that nobody here is going to say anything nice in regards to the question: What are my chances at x?
Thank you gstapes for your 'advice'. What I have figured out while looking at this site, is that we are all here to help one another. Even though each situation is different, many different perspectives are gathered here. It would be wise to seek advice from something like this.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bought the Arco Book, and I did really well on the SAT, and ACT, so I wanted to see how I did. Turns out-average.

SAT and ACT will carry you only so far. You didn't do average. As noted in prior post by pmasters, you didn't make minimum = fail. Getting into Navy or Marine Corps aviation pipelines these days is more competitive than ever, so adopting this strategy:

Techie said:
For me however, I wanted to apply and see if I got in on my current package

is not a strategy to succeed. You only get so many chances to take the ASTB and resubmitting a package requires a change in your "portfolio" so you may well get passed by others who are motivated to give it their all. You need to take it tothe next level if you are really serious about flying in the Navy.

Techie

SAT and ACT will carry you only so far. You didn't do average. As noted in prior post by pmasters, you didn't make minimum = fail. Getting into Navy or Marine Corps aviation pipelines these days is more competitive than ever, so adopting this strategy: is not a strategy to succeed. You only get so many chances to take the ASTB and resubmitting a package requires a change in your "portfolio" so you may well get passed by others who are motivated to give it their all. You need to take it tothe next level if you are really serious about flying in the Navy.

Thanks Heyjoe for your comments. My primary choice is SWO which requires a 35 OAR; second choice is SWO-IW, which requires a 40 OAR; third choice is Aviator. I realize that if I want Aviator that I have to retake the ASTB. I also realize I am on a mainly Aviator forum. While I respect your perspective on the ASTB, for me this first test was about doing it early. This way, if I have to retake it, the 31-day clock has already been moving and I don't need to wait. I apologize if this mentality is 'wrong' but that's what I thought was the best approach.

Sidenote: What does one do during the MEPS screening?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the PFT during MEPS? Or are they separate things?

PFT is a physical fitness test in which you perform and no medical personnel/training required to administer it (generally outdoors). MEPS is like being a lab rat where they perform tests on you in the bowels of a medical facility as you try to exit the maze (no cheese either).

m26

Contributor
MEPS is like being a lab rat where they perform tests on you in the bowels of a medical facility as you try to exit the maze (no cheese either).

Depends on the type of sandwich you get.

Phoenix289

API- Whiting for Primary
While you may meet the minimum scores for various jobs like SWO or even if you re-take and score above the minimum for SNA, that is almost assuredly not good enough to get a select with the size of the applicant pool you're up against. With so many to choose from, why would the boards select someone with minimums vs. someone with near maximums (which there are plenty of). This isn't a situation where it's like you pass the test and you're in, it's pretty damn cut-throat. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but my OR told me last year the navy took on something like 247 SNAs and somewhere between 20 and 35 of those were BDCP....out of the whole country. You need to be extremely motivated and use each test you take like it's your last. I don't know the figures for SWO on BDCP, but I'm sure that's pretty competitive too. The Navy is making a pretty big investment and they don't like to waste money....not on us at least.

BTW, PRT is not a competitive part of the application. Pass it and you're good to go. I took mine and got through MEPS before submitting to speed up the process should I be selected, but it's not required to do it before submission. My OR gave me my PRT, real easy.

Afterburner209

Good muster guys.
Is the PFT during MEPS? Or are they separate things?

They are separate however I did take the PFT and MEPS the same day, it all depends on location, what you recruiter has planned, and how fast you get through MEPS. Just talk to your OR. When I went I didn't even say anything and they kept putting me in front of line since I was BDCP so I had plenty of time for the ASTB and PRT. Three ducks with one stone.