• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

barefoot running

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have these too and they are designed to give your foot the barefoot feel.
My first couple runs i over did it (over 3 miles) and i got bad shin splints.
I would recommend running 50/50 between these shoes and normal running shoes.

I don't think they were designed to be used but for a few miles a week as a complement to your normal routine. In that case, your reccomendation seems to be pretty valid. I just bought some Nike Free 7.0s last night. We'll see how light running goes on them.

As a slight aside, I've found that interval running has helped my 1.5 mile time (excuse my Navy input into this Marine PFT sub-forum). And I have only done the interval thing on a treadmill. Any thoughts?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Serious question...why in the world would you want to run barefoot? Are shoes really that big a footspeed issue? I really am curious and not just busting your #$%%$.

This is how I feel when someone tells me they like tofu burgers...What's wrong with beef?:D

MasterBates

Interesting... I used to run around the farm barefoot, and I was noticeably faster then (fast being a relative term when I am involved).

Interesting.. So what do they cost?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Nice article, thanks. I have a low level of knowledge in all the aspects that are important in assessing something like this but I did have a quick thought....

We do alot of things on our feet now that may have outpaced the rate at which our biology can adapt....running sub 10 second 100 meter dashes, or ultramarathons seem like challenges that people couldn't imagine 50 years ago...let alone more, so you have to wonder if some degree of human assistance (shoe technology etc...) isn't neccessary to help biology keep pace with human endeavor.

Again...just a thought.

Good luck to the original poster...please follow up with thoughts if you decide to do some of this...and for god's sake...avoid the glass.;)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think our foot has really adapted much at all. Sports equipment and different training regimes have definitely impacted the athletic quality of people. Look at golf even and the old school clubs of yesteryear with the fancy stuff of today. You couldn't hit a ball that hard before, or you'd break the club. Likewise, I think that shoes definitely improve performance compared to barefeet. However, the fact that we become dependent upon technology though may indeed break down our body's natural approach to movement. That's the premise behind the shoes.

Bates- The shoes cost $90 (including tax) but the older models are going for less than $60 now.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
WHATEVER you do, don't end up like this guy... :D

09e7a7dc-48d0-42ed-8001-024e901e4fdd

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I think mine looked like that for about a month or two after OCS. Disgusting.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
The theory behind Barefoot running is that shoes inhibit the natural degree of movement of the foot, that the cushioning that shoes give under develop the leg muscles, and that by running barefoot you give a workout to your feet and build up a variety of muscles in your foot and ankle that translate to a more well developed stronger faster foot. the theory behind the nike free is that they combine the positive aspects of shoes (protection), with the positive aspect of barefoot running (range of motion of the foot).

I love barefoot running, I did it on the beach, even before I knew what it was, but as with any training regiment you'll need a while to acclimate to it so if OCS is less than a couple of months away try it in small doses only.

GatorP

FYI

I was PTing in my Nike Free 7.0s yesterday...and i ended up playing a pick up frisbee game. Bad Idea. I made a cut and my right shoe ripped in half.
Also dont wash the inserts. They come apart really easily.

jdakota

Yeah that foot looks nasty. I tore up my feet so bad at OCS I have permanent scars on the bottoms.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
I was just joking about mine being as nasty as that picture, but they were all rough and crusty for a few months. I probably could have walked on nails and not felt it. They've since returned to pansy mode

foniks

Running barefoot is great. I definately am an advocate. My old coach used to be, too. We would run some strides a few days a week barefoot. It gets your feet used to moving more naturally. Oftentimes, when you run with shoes, you get a bulky unnatural stride which will in turn lead to injuries.

Also, running barefoot will strengthen the muscles in your feet making them less susceptible to injuries.

I know really old school college coaches who used to preach running barefoot, even during injuries. It seems they thought that it was that great.

I run about 70 miles a week now, with about 3 or 4 of them being barefoot.

If you are just starting to run barefoot, please start off really slow. Run a few 100 meter strides after your runs, 3 days a week or so at first.

By the way, you will definately hear two sides to this story, as well as research to both sides. Some people are minimalists when it comes to shoes (me) some people like the cushion and support. I've been training under a minimalist ideology and I haven't been injured in over 10 years, so I'll stick to what works for me. Lots of cushion might work for you.

foniks

My feet have been worse than that picture many times. Never from running barefoot in the grass, though.