• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

barefoot running

irishmc

So I've been flirting with the idea of doing some barefoot running after reading numerous recent articles on the subject. I was wondering if anybody here has personally trained barefoot, and what their success was like (if any). I've done a few runs already, and it's felt good. But I am also shipping to OCS June 3rd, and the last thing I need is to have to explain that my recent running injury is due to some experiment in ditching my go fasters. Like I said, I'd love some real-life feedback if you have any.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Your running at OCS will be on asphalt. Besides the potential for injury, I can assure you the DI's will have lots of fun at your expense if you're not wearing shoes like everyone else.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I've been flirting with the idea of doing some barefoot running after reading numerous recent articles on the subject. I was wondering if anybody here has personally trained barefoot, and what their success was like (if any). I've done a few runs already, and it's felt good. But I am also shipping to OCS June 3rd, and the last thing I need is to have to explain that my recent running injury is due to some experiment in ditching my go fasters. Like I said, I'd love some real-life feedback if you have any.

Docs will tell you it's bad for your arches....

I will tell you it's also fraught with hazard. I have a pin in my right great toe and got set back a class at Pensacola after stubbing it running barefoot (I grew up running that way in Hawaii and felt more natural). Of course, I did make friends with some cool nurses while in the hospital getting the pin inserted.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Dumb idea. Your arch needs support. Trust me, straining the arch and tendons in the bottom of your feet is no fun. Plantar Fasciitis (the result) is a pain in the ass to get rid of. Wear shoes.

irishmc

thanks for the interest in my thread, and of course I expected a few bad idea replies, but I don't need a whole mess of them if you have no personal experience in the matter. I've done a good amount of research on the subject to make myself feel comfortable with the reasoning of the proponents AND opponents to the argument. What I was looking for was some feedback from people who have tried this, and what their outcomes were.

p.s. I don't think they'd even let a candidate run without shoes at OCS, nor would I ever try.

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
thanks for the interest in my thread, and of course I expected a few bad idea replies, but I don't need a whole mess of them if you have no personal experience in the matter. I've done a good amount of research on the subject to make myself feel comfortable with the reasoning of the proponents AND opponents to the argument. What I was looking for was some feedback from people who have tried this, and what their outcomes were.

This thread needs something...

BT-morecowbell-gallery-500.jpg

MasterBates

p.s. I don't think they'd even let a candidate run without shoes at OCS, nor would I ever try.

In short, he only wants you to post if you agree with him..

irishmc

In short, he only wants you to post if you agree with him..

damn, did I really come off that way? ok, let me try again. I've read about what can happen. good and bad. I understand the bad already, so there's no reason to say 'this could be bad for you'. I already understand that. and more than anything, I was looking for posts like heyjoe, since he use to run barefoot. I didn't chastise him for saying something negative about it, did I? ok, did I do better there?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
damn, did I really come off that way? ok, let me try again. I've read about what can happen. good and bad. I understand the bad already, so there's no reason to say 'this could be bad for you'. I already understand that. and more than anything, I was looking for posts like heyjoe, since he use to run barefoot. I didn't chastise him for saying something negative about it, did I? ok, did I do better there?

No, no chastisement, as far as I can tell. It's just that it seems like you are looking for people to validate your opinions. That may or may not be the case, but to the casual cowbell-wanting observer (what is with the cowbell theme today?), it seems like you've already made your mind up through research and are looking for people to basically tell you what you've already figured out.

Again, just what it seems like. So, if you want to give it a try, just be careful and see how you like it for yourself. However, as noted, there are hazards (which you seem to be aware of).

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I saw your question as a legitimate one. I considered buying the Nike Free shoes because of the same premise. Go look on some Nike/running forums and you'll have the answers that you are looking for.

I was looking at the shoes as a possible way to "pack light" since I tend to travel a lot. I figured that the Nike 7.0 (kind of like a cross trainer) would be appropriate and takes up very little space in the carry on. To summarize what I've read on them, the vast majority of folks that did end up with an injury were the result of over-using them (going over 3 miles without building up first to 3+ distances). My own take was that the shoes wouldn't be a good choice for running and using on a court (racquetball/basketball). I ended up with just cross-trainers.

Carno

Insane
I run barefoot about once or twice a week. I'd always heard that running barefoot was really bad for your feet and that you would really hurt yourself by losing the shoes. Hearing that always made me wonder how armies of old survived without Nike and Adidas to supply them with running shoes. So, based upon completely anecdotal evidence and my experiences going barefoot as a child, I decided to work barefoot running into my exercise routine.

I don't run on hard surfaces (with the exception of one Halloween night when I ran 4.5 miles on a sidewalk back to my apartment, while drunk) and I don't run on sand, and I've never had a problem going barefoot at all. I typically only do short runs (three miles max) barefoot, and I worked up to them very gradually. In order to deal with glass and other sharp objects, I use my eyes. (I've had tons of people ask me how I don't cut my feet when I run barefoot... I WATCH WHERE I STEP. Duh.)

Anyways, I haven't had a problem going barefoot and I am pretty sure my feet are a lot stronger since I've started going barefoot. My soles are a lot tougher now also. If you do go barefoot, I recommend running on a nice grass field or on a packed dirt path. Someone once told me never to run barefoot on sand because your arches aren't designed to take impact. I've tried running barefoot at the beach once or twice, and it makes my feet and legs hurt, so I don't do it.

Srtitan89

Try buying some Nike Frees 2.0 shoes. I have a pair and they feel like I am running barefoot, but they do offer some protection and support. Little cushioning though; but if you want to run barefoot without the hazards, I do suggest trying some on.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
...Someone once told me never to run barefoot on sand because your arches aren't designed to take impact. I've tried running barefoot at the beach once or twice, and it makes my feet and legs hurt, so I don't do it.

I tried that a couple times too. I heard that it makes your feet tougher, but it ends up killing. running on sand in shoes kills your calfs more because you have to do more of a shuffle instead of rolling your foot, but doing it barefoot hurt. I would reccommend not changing anything this close to OCS. If your training so far has been working, you dont really need to try something crazy to improve just a little bit if it has risk of hurting you.

GatorP

Try buying some Nike Frees 2.0 shoes. I have a pair and they feel like I am running barefoot, but they do offer some protection and support. Little cushioning though; but if you want to run barefoot without the hazards, I do suggest trying some on.

I have these too and they are designed to give your foot the barefoot feel.
My first couple runs i over did it (over 3 miles) and i got bad shin splints.
I would recommend running 50/50 between these shoes and normal running shoes.

Carno

Insane
I would reccommend not changing anything this close to OCS. If your training so far has been working, you dont really need to try something crazy to improve just a little bit if it has risk of hurting you.

Absolutely. I don't recommend doing anything different either.