• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Ball Caps

So I'm a fairly new ensign in the API waiting line and was curious to know what the deal was with the command ball caps these days. I was hoping to build up a collection throughout my career. Are they still around/authorized? Is there a NASC command cap or is it just the NAS Pensacola cap that they sell at the NEX?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So I'm a fairly new ensign in the API waiting line and was curious to know what the deal was with the command ball caps these days. I was hoping to build up a collection throughout my career. Are they still around/authorized? Is there a NASC command cap or is it just the NAS Pensacola cap that they sell at the NEX?
Seconded. I read that they're an option for flight suits (both command and NAVY ball caps), but have never seen anyone wearing one. Not sure that I would myself, but just curious if it happens, or if it's considered gauche.
Although it's kinda moot what kind of headgear you're wearing once you get to the flightline.

Glider3

None
NAVY ball caps are only worn by sailors right out of boot camp.

As far as command ball caps: my squadron has them, but we don't wear them right now; other squadrons do. In API & TW-6 it was khaki cover the whole time I was there.

croakerfish

pilot
Seconded. I read that they're an option for flight suits (both command and NAVY ball caps), but have never seen anyone wearing one. Not sure that I would myself, but just curious if it happens, or if it's considered gauche.
Although it's kinda moot what kind of headgear you're wearing once you get to the flightline.

You won't have the option until the RAG most likely.

jmcquate

Contributor
When it comes to command ball caps............simple is better, just "TOPGUN" or "SCOTCH" (obscure South Park reference).

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time I ever wore a squadron ball cap as an officer was when we wore wash khakis. Never with a flight suit; the piss-cutter is way more convenient.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal observation over the years, almost all officers and most Chiefs wore the khaki cover while enlisted aircrew E-6 and below wore the ball cap. I have seen a few officers wear ball caps but they were rare, the khaki cover is just more convenient as ea6bflyr noted.

jtmedli

pilot
We wear them in my command. I haven't really heard of squadrons going piss cutter only but I agree that the ole piss cutter is a little easier to stash away.

Pags

N/A
pilot
First squadron: wore one all the time.
Second: piss cutter only, squadron had a shortage of them when I got there and only the Sailors got them.
Boat: All the time, every day.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
We give em to sailors at check in and a few of the Officer types wear them. It's personal preference really. I think the piss cutter fits better in a pocket and looks sharper, so I wear that on shore. On the boat, ball cap if I need headgear, which is rarely ever.

UMichfly

pilot
None
Unless you are in an h-60 squadron or are a WSO the khaki cover is your friend
Out here on the Best Coast it's more like 50/50 ballcaps/pisscutters. Maybe it's something to do with the shitty Lemoore heat making your pisscutter look like a fat guy's armpit after a few days...