• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

aviation summer cruise mishaps

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
Also... hunt for red october and/or every other Tom Clancy book/movie... who hasn't read/seen them? Not exactly obscure...:icon_tong

Nope, not obscure, but you just never know with the younger generations on here :)

Lawman

None
Fly Navy said:
Nope, not obscure, but you just never know with the younger generations on here :)

I cant tell you the number of times Ive thrown out a Blues Brothers quote at Kent State only to be met with confused looks. Savages....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
you would have to be pretty young to have not seen that movie....I even saw that in the theater....:icon_wink

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
alpha blue said:
Wow, can that plane still make it back to base without its canopy?

I can't think of anything overly witty that might earn me rep points.... so.

Yes, it can.

Postal

pilot
alpha blue said:
Wow, can that plane still make it back to base without its canopy?

If the engines are still spinning it can make it back. I have personnaly witnessed 2 AV-8B's that the engine has eaten the remains of an imploded canopy make it back. Both times the engine way completly FOD'ed. Parts of blades missing and some on the first stage bent forward 90 degrees. In the AV-8B keep the engine rpm constant and she will bring you back in this case.

For the F-14 pilot, it was just cold, windy, and loud. I am sure it was more diffucult to deal with his fellow avaitors in the ready room then to land the plane.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
If had been the other cockpit, then there would have been a problem. All anybody really needs is just 1 aircrew. Anything more could have been used for gas or bombs.

I wonder how this effected our fearless pilots career?

"Uh...skipper? Remember when you told me to fly Capt. Whathisnuts? Well, we had sort of a problem......"

NavyLonghorn

Harrier Dude said:
If had been the other cockpit, then there would have been a problem. All anybody really needs is just 1 aircrew. Anything more could have been used for gas or bombs.

I wonder how this effected our fearless pilots career?

"Uh...skipper? Remember when you told me to fly Capt. Whathisnuts? Well, we had sort of a problem......"

Its the Capt that pulled the handle, Im sure he was briefed not to, I dont see how thats in any way the pilots fault.

Put unqualified people in expensive things and bad things can happen.

Good thing the Captins handle didnt send the pilot out aswell.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. I'm sure that, as pilot in command of what was sure to be a high vis VIP boondoggle, he won't be held accountable by some senior officer for the class B damage to his jet. I think that OPNAV says something about the PIC being in charge of his craft except for when VIPs are on board. Hope his skipper and CAG by that one.

I've given some rides to non-aviators, and I always made sure the ejection select was in FWD for this very reason (and SOP). I read the Approach article on this, and can see how it happened, but a mishap is a mishap.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harrier Dude said:
I've given some rides to non-aviators, and I always made sure the ejection select was in FWD for this very reason (and SOP). I read the Approach article on this, and can see how it happened, but a mishap is a mishap.

What does FWD do in the T-bird? In the Rhino (called NORM), the back seat still works.

I don't think the pilot was negatively affected... one of the IPs in Meridian was there when it happened. They all wanted to wail on the O-6 though, apparently he was joking and bragging about it at the O'Club, I guess he had no idea how serious it really was.

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
Schnugg said:
Were they headed out to sea? :icon_mi_1

B00004SVW4.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Don't know the language...but know what I see in this drawing....

spin.gif

Sweet, now I know how to write vertical spin and flat spin in Korean! :D

Chubby

Fly Navy said:
What does FWD do in the T-bird? In the Rhino (called NORM), the back seat still works.
I think he meant FWD Both/AFT Self. IE- the VIP can't punch the pilot out by accident.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
OneOddGuy said:
Sweet, now I know how to write vertical spin and flat spin in Korean! :D

My dad's been to Korea many a times... you'd be surprised how handy being able to write those two things is...:D

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
I think he meant FWD Both/AFT Self. IE- the VIP can't punch the pilot out by accident.

Except for the fact that that's how the F-14 was configured... so why say it?

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Chubby said:

The TAV-8B has a 3 position ejection select lever.

Aft/Solo: Rear seat initiates ejection and both seats fire. If the front seat initiates ejection, only the front seat fires. Used at the discretion of the PIC, but by SOP before the student solos or if it is flown solo (rare, and even then only by IPs).

Fwd: Requires a special "collar" to hold the level in place. Front seat initiates ejection and both seats fire. Rear seat initiates ejection, only the rear seat fires. Used when the front seat pilot is the PIC and the rear seat is unquallified (flight surgeon, VIP, etc.)

Dual: If either seat initiates ejection, both seats fire. Used most of the time to give both of you "a shot".